Question about Race/crafting

Necronaut

Nov 16, 2021
Hello there.

I've been trying to figure out my question through all of the player guides both here on the forums and on youtube but can't seem to find the answer.

There's plenty of character builds explaining the different combat aspects and which excels in which area who's very informative and great. However I can't seem to find anything related towards how these builds fair in the crafting aspect ?

For example. The most compelling part to play this game for me would be the heavy crafting aspect, therefore I would love my character to be somewhat optimized towards this goal. At the same thing I would still be able to be useful in a fight. Not asking about the best but at least so I can take care of myself and help my friends in Nave.
I'm aiming towards being a high end miner/armorsmith.

Maybe I've just misunderstood it all and any of the character builds in the guides are equally as good for doing what I'm aiming for ?
Thanks for reading.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Hello there.

I've been trying to figure out my question through all of the player guides both here on the forums and on youtube but can't seem to find the answer.

There's plenty of character builds explaining the different combat aspects and which excels in which area who's very informative and great. However I can't seem to find anything related towards how these builds fair in the crafting aspect ?

For example. The most compelling part to play this game for me would be the heavy crafting aspect, therefore I would love my character to be somewhat optimized towards this goal. At the same thing I would still be able to be useful in a fight. Not asking about the best but at least so I can take care of myself and help my friends in Nave.

Maybe I've just misunderstood it all and any of the character builds in the guides are equally as good for doing what I'm aiming for ?
Thanks for reading.

Action Points and Profession Points are split into separate trees, so no matter what you pick for a species/race, you will be able to fight AND craft.

As for who is good at what - for the most part, everyone is equal at all crafting. Some Clade Gifts give small bonuses, Oghmir excel at mining and refining, Alvarin are skilled in many forms of gathering and Alchemy, so on and so forth.

I think Humans, though, are objectively the best crafters. A Tindremene for example is able to max out their STR, DEX, CON, and INT - this gives a LOT of free points toward skills in the form of 'Effective Level', allowing you to learn a lot more skills. They also have clades for increased reading speed, and a direct increase of 50 points to their profession pool. They are kind of frail, though.

Necronaut

Nov 16, 2021
I understand.

So my choice should rather be towards what I'd enjoy most out of a fighting aspect and go for that species/race combination and I'll still be able to be great crafter kind of no matter what choice I make ?

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I understand.

So my choice should rather be towards what I'd enjoy most out of a fighting aspect and go for that species/race combination and I'll still be able to be great crafter kind of no matter what choice I make ?
Yep!

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
Aside from the clade gifts if you want to min max your skill point usage you would be looking at what stat your primary skills get a bonus from. For example Armor Crafting gets a bonus from Int so if you have 110 int you'll get +11 points towards Armor Crafting meaning you would only have to use 89 points from your 1200 Profession points to have 100 Armor Crafting. If your build works out where you have 9 skills getting a bonus from int then you've saved yourself 99 points and basically could get another primary maxed from those savings.

On paper 1200 points seems like 12 primaries at 100 but you might be able to work in 13 or 14 depending on your build.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Personally I would play an Oghmir with as much strength and constitution as you can. That way you can carry like 80kg of ore without a horse. The usual contrarions will say to just use a horse, but when you're actually mining most of the time you'll want to go afk without having to risk your horse being slaughtered or being unloyal. You could go int for the crafting boost but you're going to be mining waay more than you will be smithing, unless you plan on not making metal armor and just using other materials. But that's another story

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Hello there.

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
I think Humans, though, are objectively the best crafters. A Tindremene for example is able to max out their STR, DEX, CON, and INT - this gives a LOT of free points toward skills in the form of 'Effective Level', allowing you to learn a lot more skills. They also have clades for increased reading speed, and a direct increase of 50 points to their profession pool. They are kind of frail, though.

Ha, I never thought of it that way.

I will just add that some Glades like Oghmir and Veelas use less or extract more recourses, which in the long run, with rare materials/metals/monsters, make a difference.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Ha, I never thought of it that way.

I will just add that some Glades like Oghmir and Veelas use less or extract more recourses, which in the long run, with rare materials/metals/monsters, make a difference.

I agree Alvarin and Oghmir are the best extractors, but humans are the best crafters.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
Well Oghmir use 3% less materials when they craft. When you strat crafting high end material weapons and armours, that is gonna add up.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Well Oghmir use 3% less materials when they craft. When you strat crafting high end material weapons and armours, that is gonna add up.

You can argue both ways, it comes down to what you value more. For me personally, the 50 SPs on professions, plus all the +10 bonus to lores, plus humans organically having higher INT (Oghmir only fat mages will have high INT) to me makes them overall better - they can have full trees much easier with room to spare on mammalia for a horse and the negotiation tree as well.

If this was old school MO with only 1 skill tree Oghmir would still win because of dedicated crafter toon but having to actually play the game on the same toon I don't think its a contest even if one favors crafting because eventually I wanna do something outside of the crafting table. If I was responsible for the Oghmir clade gifts I would remove all the gits for INT/PSY/Mana and replace them with SP bonus to Petrology, Metallurgy, Alloys, etc - nerfing the fat mage is just a bonus - but that is just my opinion which I think would be more lore friendly to have them more "book smart" and less "mage smart".

I do agree though, if you are in a large group crafting stuff for everyone regularly or are a super merchant the 3% do add up.

Last edited: