Perspective of a new Mortal Online Player

Bydand

Mar 29, 2021
One of the biggest challenges as a new player never had played M.O before was the tutorials felt more of a wall of text to read than anything. Personally, if they had a interactive tutorial for new players that coached step-by-step on the very basics would greatly encourage player retention for the long run ( my self included)

Is this a discussion already addressed? And if so, any news on the ideas they might put into place?

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The bad new player experience was an issue that SV acknowledged in the first game. It is the reason Haven got introduced.

So, I am hopeful that they still have plans to make it more helpful than it is currently.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its clearly an issue of haven being sort of lacking and the tutorial missing a lot of meat and good design.

I'll 100% say its due to lack of time put down on it, not that they didn't try to put the time in. But that they didn't get the chance to put enough time into it. For the stress test it was sort of enough. For the "finished" haven experience however, it has a ways to go, and if they are ripping even 1/10th of the MO1 haven + old tindrem newbie experience. Then it should turn out just fine.

JGByrne

Feb 8, 2021
This is a good suggestion, since it's been shown that interactive tutorials have a greater effect at teaching the player the various systems. Later on, players have a much easier time recalling how to do things and where, since they actually had to do it instead of read it. I hope they will take this approach in the final state of Haven. I think that SV is aiming to improve Haven by a lot before the full release, as you said above I think they just got something good enough together for the stress test. Nonetheless, I have good hopes for Haven and for the new player experience.

Reactions: Bydand

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think having the player carry out simple tasks one at a time, like movement, sprinting, and jumping. Followed by more advanced movement like jumping over objects, then combat, advanced combat and so forth. As they do so, they learn basic skills and level them up quickly, reducing the early grind.

Make it so that the player can do these tutorial tasks while in the game world and not in an instanced area. I think this will familiarise players with the basics, hopefully they will then be comfortable enough to discover the rest on their own. At the same time, I think new players also need to be okay with a bit of text reading.

Ragnar_Rock

Nov 21, 2020
i think it woul be nice if there wasnt a wall of text, it turns people away.

Simple put 2 - 3 windows after each other, each covering a different topic.

The first screen that`s welcoming you to the game at least shuold be a lot more user friendly.

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
a interactive tutorial for new players that coached step-by-step on the very basics would greatly encourage player retention
Im sure they can refine the Haven pop up guide more and maybe have Haven a single player dl???

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Im sure they can refine the Haven pop up guide more and maybe have Haven a single player dl???
Imagine the new player going into the single-player Haven island, they don't know what they're doing and kill a whole bunch of innocent NPCs in town, and turn red. Then arrive online on the mainland and immediately get ganked by all the guards and every player in town. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: Avenoma