Patch Notes 0.1.0.93 - Decreased the quick charge attack damage (suggestion/discussion)

Do you feel the "speedy duellist" half attack style should be part of the meta ?

• I agree this should be a part of the meta but! (with your own suggestions)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On the fence (not sure)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
Hello SV and Community o/,

This change is a direct response to the new style of ultra-light weapons being used to create a high rate of attacks used to overwhelm opponents with small hp attacks around 2-15 (some say 20) hp. I want to discuss what this style is, what it trying to achieve, and why in my opinion it does have a place in the meta and should be kept if within reason.

I will break my feedback down into several parts for easy of reading. Introduction on how it works and why it is utilized (skip this if you already understand). Theory, this is how I see this played out in the live game e.g., when steel and higher grader materials are the meta. Finally, my suggestions around this, and why I advocate its place it the meta.

Introduction: Why players utilize this style of game play, and how it works.

why do people do this?

This is a direct counter to the counter heavy style of play in 1v1’s. Due to the light weapon needed to use this style, it isn’t as common or as viable in group fights, so for the sake of argument I’m going to talk about this mainly in the context of 1v1’s. This is a style that attracts individuals that enjoy 1v1’s, it should be considered that in the live game 1v1’s will be a rarer form of conflict and mostly reserved for bragging rights.

How does this work in combat?

An ultra-light weapon is charged briefly then swung. Common ways you achieve successful hits

• The faint method - When combined with the walk key you can quickly faint attacks multiple directions then quickly hit an opponent when they incorrectly block the wrong direction.
  • The 360 no scope kid method – Players charge and attack and as they rotate, they change direction (often stab or overhead has its harder to see from behind) this can also be accompanied by a jump to add confusion.
  • Quick draw hands method – This is where you intentionally give your opponent a parry, but quickly quarter/half charge and attack again, then snap to an instantly block and receive your own parry. So basically *you* Attack (this is parried) => *you* attack (this hits) => *they* opponent attempts to use counter => *you* snap to black (now you have a parry). Repeat.
Theory: What will this look like in the real game?

When we think about ultra-light weapons, we need to think of them in the context of steel and cronite in light weapon handle and head configurations. Due to their 4-way direction attacks It is most likely that swords will be the most if not only viable for this style of gameplay. Except for jade (possibly), nothing should be damaging higher grade amours. Due to the dynamics of group fights it is unlikely that these weapons will offer as much benefit as heavier configurations or metals will provide. Even if used in group fights, they would not be the determining factor to any degree worth exploring in that context (Imo feel free to challenge that)

It should be considered that the likely application of this style of game play is players who have the skills to utilize this style in the comparatively less likely 1v1 scenario (compared to that of group fights). It would also primarily be applied to tournaments and bragging right duels. Within the open world it is likely that those who enjoy 1v1’s would carry a second ultra-light weapon for the purposes of 1v1’s.

My Suggestions and feedback: advocating

Suggestion

Firstly, I believe that in the context of steel and cronite these weapons (likely Khurite great blade on a Khurite hilt for example) should never do more then 2-7hp damage to steel armors. Once you start talking tung or Ogh armor parts perhaps they should do no damage at all or at best 2-3 and players will have to relay on hitting lower protected parts of the body.

Feedback

I believe this style has a higher skill cap and elevates the 1v1 scene, but should remine low damage, and make players rely on consistent skill and finesse to utilize it and encourage it as part of a tool bag not the only tool. This style isn’t an instant win, and it is only relevant to 1v1’s. There are a few direct counters to this, a light spear and shield significantly reduces its effectiveness. If a counter heavy player focuses on movement between parries and attacks it is possible to not receive attacks between parries again and again. A counter heavy player only needs one solid counter for every 5 or so attack received. Lastly if you focus on survival and not winning the fight its quite hard to burn somebody down and out right kill them without having to charge full attacks. Full attacks allow the other player to parry with ease, so if you really want to get away you just play the stam gain and heal. My point is its not really overbearing unless you try to commit and do not know how to engage properly which is true for any 1v1 style.

This also has the opportunity to create this cool practice in the game where players who have duelist prowess are known for carrying two weapons, or perhaps you can spot them on the battle field because they tend to be sword uses over more devastating group weapon types, it kinds gives swords, pole swords and light weapons a cool undertone where you suspect that player of being the type to carry a duelist weapon.

Why should it be in the meta? Ill make a simple list.

• Increases the skill cap of 1v1’s
  • This is not a rock to scissors situation, but rather just rivals parry heavy styles
  • This provides a yin to the yang of parry intensive styles
  • This is predominantly a 1v1 viable style, so low overall impact, but with more added depth
  • This creates a reason for specific weapon types
  • This allows players to gain notoriety as “duelist” known for their 1v1 prowess defined by their unique habit of carrying a duel specific weapon. This adds a uniqueness to the game.
In conclusion I do not see any real negative sides to this being a part of the 1v1 meta. I love to hear thoughts and feed back!

Last edited:

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
You should add one more option to make this all a lot easier.

*Fix the braindead easy blocking*

Reactions: Jatix

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Ya blocking is too easy. Without spam attacks and stuff its not even possible to land a hit on any half decent player in a 1v1 if they dont want to get hit.