Patch 0.1.12.7 - Patch Notes Discussion

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Have to say. One of the best patches I've seen in a while (if it all works / follows through).

Some of my favorites picked out of the list.

Added a new district in Morin Khur.

Added a new primary skill ‘Mounted Magery’ which increases effectiveness with magic while on a mount. Similar to Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery, you will be less effective than on foot without this skill.

Added small Saburra nodes scattered around the Steppes.

Added Sea Dew to the Toxai area.

Adjustments to world lighting.

Reduced the brightness of the moons to make them less overexposed during the night and to restore visual details.

Mount acceleration and turn rate are now affected by the rider’s dexterity.

Concentration skill effectiveness is now halved when mounted (base interrupt resist unchanged).

One handed axes, clubs and swords are now less likely to do handle hits.

Dead players can now swim at full ether speed with neutral buoyancy.

Players can now fight in water. Currently this includes attacking and blocking in all directions with the same swing speed and stamina use values as on land. In the future, we will adjust these values to be more appropriate for combat while swimming.

Players can now use bows in water. Arrows traveling through water have a base reduced velocity and a large reduction in velocity and damage over distance, until they finally sink. It is possible to shoot from the water surface while swimming without arrow penalties as long as you avoid hitting the water surface. Bows in water will be balanced appropriately in a future update.

Jump and Walk keys can now be used to swim up and down.

Jump key is now used to grab hold of ledges in water, climb slopes under water and get out of water while looking up. This also works when being too heavy to swim. The player controls the speed of the climb by looking up and stays still when looking forward. Climbing in water has the same stamina penalties as swimming. There is no visual player climb animation implemented yet.

While swimming, stamina starts recovering as soon as you let go of the directional keys. This means that you can do short moves with regular breaks in order to regain stamina.

Player velocity is now reduced when falling into water.

Swimming speed is now scaled with dexterity. Base speed is 110 and each point in dexterity adds half a unit of speed up to 175. Skills combined with sprinting greatly increase the total swim speed.

Air recovery is now a flat 10% per second for all skill levels instead of being an instant refill on the surface (higher skills give greater air capacity, which balances out).

Chests inside keeps can now be opened by anyone in the guild.

Added several hundred more “chunks” (pak files in the game directory) to improve Steam patching performance. Now 800+ pak files.

Replaced system for loading and unloading character collision to reduce game stutter and CPU load.

Optimized player animation CPU performance.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
There's so much in this patch that i never even expected. And it's awesome! :)

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
It's a patch that honestly in my eyes appeals to both sides of the coin of players.

I can't tell you how long some people have been BEGGING for water combat. But not only that, they're actually attempting to make one handed weapons come into play. Yet to test it so right now unsure if it's a change that'll need further tweaking but the effort in my eyes is what matters.

Also IDK about anyone else but patching on Steam has always been garbage, so hopefully now it doesn't want to re-download the game everytime it patches.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yeah they added a lot of stuff I wanted. Like sea dew in the east. Subbura. Etc. Really making the east a more viable place to live where before the west was just objectively better in every way

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Mounted Magery is a big surprise and kills many current mage builds. But I missed (in a way) this skill during all the MO1 years.

Sea Dew near Toxai is very nice for alchemists! I hope to get Sea Dew also at the jungle coast at some locations.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Mounted Magery is a big surprise and kills many current mage builds. But I missed (in a way) this skill during all the MO1 years.

Sea Dew near Toxai is very nice for alchemists! I hope to get Sea Dew also at the jungle coast at some locations.

I was surprised in a good way. Magery on mounts was the most unaccounted for thing I've seen in MO for so very long.

Also, good. Hate to say it but the playstyle was extremely strong for no point investment, and it also means wheelchair builds (builds that utilize little dex or movement skills) are now worse on mounts.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Can also confirm a few things:

One handed weapons feel 100x times better. Left swings are a guaranteed hit for the most part, overheads have way more forgiveness on its, right swings are still iffy but thats fine since they're the 'more range' attack. Stabs were fine before.

Swimming just feels so much smoother, and the experience is moving away from the cancerous swimming of MO1. Water combat is also functioning. Yet to fight anyone but it works, and feels just fine. It's nice to stop and just get stamina back.

The steam patching didn't seem much faster, it also just re-downloads / updates the entire game (70+ gigs). So not sure what is happening there, but the effort was appreciated. Doesn't seem to work for some people.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Wonder why they didn't fix the standing system. It seems more important than a lot of this stuff.

Reactions: m4rt3

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Wonder why they didn't fix the standing system. It seems more important than a lot of this stuff.

Did PvP for the first time in a while yesterday. I'm at -8 standing with where I PvP. I honestly just can't be fucked to care about their shitty rep system. Especially with how it's set up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to do deliveries for scraps of reputation? No thanks. Game is massive, and having a mount be required to essentially travel without wanting to fall asleep is something I'll pass on. They can either fix it to where it actually encourages more gameplay or I'll just live outside of towns (and it'll be stupid if they don't provide us a way to make our own shit outside of towns to function separate from them.. vendors, librarians, etc.)

BTW. I'm anti-walls for guilds, so not asking for my own safe zone. Just the NPC's to actually do what I need to do.

But my friend even said it makes no sense why they'd try to counter griefing by making something that encourages playing less.

Why isn't their a rep turn in for just returning Walker, Bandit, and Risar heads? The amounts given could be small and it'd be fine. It thrusts players out more into the open world, into more danger; keeping them in a gameplay loop. Farm --> PvP --> Farm, which gives breathing room for other players who might be victims.

Reactions: m4rt3

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Did PvP for the first time in a while yesterday. I'm at -8 standing with where I PvP. I honestly just can't be fucked to care about their shitty rep system. Especially with how it's set up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to do deliveries for scraps of reputation? No thanks. Game is massive, and having a mount be required to essentially travel without wanting to fall asleep is something I'll pass on. They can either fix it to where it actually encourages more gameplay or I'll just live outside of towns (and it'll be stupid if they don't provide us a way to make our own shit outside of towns to function separate from them.. vendors, librarians, etc.)

BTW. I'm anti-walls for guilds, so not asking for my own safe zone. Just the NPC's to actually do what I need to do.

But my friend even said it makes no sense why they'd try to counter griefing by making something that encourages playing less.

Why isn't their a rep turn in for just returning Walker, Bandit, and Risar heads? The amounts given could be small and it'd be fine. It thrusts players out more into the open world, into more danger; keeping them in a gameplay loop. Farm --> PvP --> Farm, which gives breathing room for other players who might be victims.
I think it is a half implemented system. You can't deliver parcels to guarded towns to get standing after you have negative standing, surely they understand that and will be expanding the system at release. They just should not have put it into the game before it was finished.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I think it is a half implemented system. You can't deliver parcels to guarded towns to get standing after you have negative standing, surely they understand that and will be expanding the system at release. They just should not have put it into the game before it was finished.

I wonder why they don't just put them outside of towns.

Reactions: Rorry

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
If this game wanted to actually be immersive you wouldn't need vendors and workbenches to do literally everything, and then you could actually live in the wild. You shouldnt need a workbench to make a stone spear. I'm pretty sure cavemen didnt have vendors and workbenches but what do I know. But sadly, they chose to paste MO1 over and call it MO2 so living in the wild is garbage. Not sure what this game wants people to actually do when it comes out but its definitely not pvp.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Water combat finally, mostly because its just been ignored for a long time not because it was being worked on for a long time.

Fishing isnt anything special. Its not bad as a mechanic but I just dont see the content there.

Bosses are a neutral addition to me, They dont really add that much content because you only do them once and then almost never again. If I cant farm it for hours on end then its not interesting PvE content. Risars are currently my favorite PvE content in game because I can go there solo and have a enjoyable experience farming for several hours straight. Bosses dont do that in this game.

The lighting doesnt hurt my eyes anymore. It might be my monitor but in my preference it doesn't look good and I'm keeping the gamma maxxed out on my monitor still because it just simply looks better with out super dark shadows in the day time.

The mounted nerfs really only affected mounted v mounted. The dex did affect MA and MC but MM are unaffected because of the huge radius they can look around. The dex scaling makes mounts feel bad according to other players but is not a henderance. The mounted magic skill really only stopped tribrids. The 30% concentration might have helped MAs fight MMs a bit better but I havent tested it yet.
The main thing is that mounted v foot wasnt really affected all that much, as a paladin on a horse with MA I just charge a greater hope of heal and then heal again before getting back on. Thats 100Hp while being stopped for less then 8s and you can also throw a bandage on. No FF will catch you in time to even get in arrow range. even then you will out heal arrows.

MK expansion isnt finished yet and has no content so nother to say good or bad about it.

Swimming has more depth but I dont really care for that part of the game so no comment.

One handeds are better but still sub par because of the stamina cost compared to two handed. Also shields add a lot of stamina cost and are regarded as a hindrance to use.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Bosses are a neutral addition to me, They dont really add that much content because you only do them once and then almost never again. If I cant farm it for hours on end then its not interesting PvE content.

Bosses are very interesting when they are dropping rare but needed stuff. Usually groups are going for bosses in dungeons. Remember the Greater Kimuru in MO1 who had to be killed to get the Oghmium lore book. Or the boss chest in the Minotaur dungeon to get the Ether Portal book.

We already have some special bandits or other NPCs dropping scrolls which are needed by mages to learn spells. Some players will make a business of farming those NPCs and selling the scrolls.

And about the Morin Khur expansion: The area looks very nice. It is a more dense part of the city with shorter ways between bank and vendors. But btw I didn't find an alchemy table yesterday in the new part of the city. There is something like an entrance to the sewers of MK in the new quarter, but it is closed yet. In total MK and Toxai are the most beautiful cities in the game in my opinion. But I will not play there because of the long ways. Even in the third largest city, Tindrem, the ways are shorter. From the point of time to reach vendors or crafting tables I will move to one of the smaller cities after release.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Bosses are very interesting when they are dropping rare but needed stuff. Usually groups are going for bosses in dungeons. Remember the Greater Kimuru in MO1 who had to be killed to get the Oghmium lore book. Or the boss chest in the Minotaur dungeon to get the Ether Portal book.

We already have some special bandits or other NPCs dropping scrolls which are needed by mages to learn spells. Some players will make a business of farming those NPCs and selling the scrolls.

And about the Morin Khur expansion: The area looks very nice. It is a more dense part of the city with shorter ways between bank and vendors. But btw I didn't find an alchemy table yesterday in the new part of the city. There is something like an entrance to the sewers of MK in the new quarter, but it is closed yet. In total MK and Toxai are the most beautiful cities in the game in my opinion. But I will not play there because of the long ways. Even in the third largest city, Tindrem, the ways are shorter. From the point of time to reach vendors or crafting tables I will move to one of the smaller cities after release.

Gonna keep it real with you, beauty and practicality are weighed heavily in a game like this; and MK and Toxai honestly stink.

But that's just my opinion.