Parrying and durability

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
For the longest time I have reported this bug in game, and at one point even had Henrik confirm on stream that it is, in fact, a bug and not intentional design;

When you parry with a weapon, it does not lose durability.

Shields still take dura damage as intended and I personally think that fixing this bug would provide A LOT of diversity to builds and playstyles as well as make weapon crafting a bit more interesting.
With this fixed, durability would matter much more when you consider which weapon to buy, especially if you go for two handed weapons and like I said, this would help promote more interesting playstyles and builds and in general improve the game.

I'm going to keep bug reporting it, but I figured this thread might get some discussions going and maybe bring some attention to the issue.

Reactions: Raknor

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
I would rather not have this purely because weapons already break pretty damn fast in PvP and PvE. But with that said I would up for this change if they removed the less than 50% damage dura penalty from weapons and make a weapon do 100% damage until it breaks.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
For the longest time I have reported this bug in game, and at one point even had Henrik confirm on stream that it is, in fact, a bug and not intentional design;

When you parry with a weapon, it does not lose durability.

Shields still take dura damage as intended and I personally think that fixing this bug would provide A LOT of diversity to builds and playstyles as well as make weapon crafting a bit more interesting.
With this fixed, durability would matter much more when you consider which weapon to buy, especially if you go for two handed weapons and like I said, this would help promote more interesting playstyles and builds and in general improve the game.

I'm going to keep bug reporting it, but I figured this thread might get some discussions going and maybe bring some attention to the issue.
Don't spam bug reports. At some point its going to be seen as abusive and you'll most likely see issues with logging in.

One report but asking other people to also thoroughly report the bug, because it is a bug, is the way you want to do it. Make sure to add anything relevant, circumstance and how to reproduce is generally how you want to report a bug. As this is a pretty easy bug to reproduce it wont require a lengthy explanation.

Don't expect it to be patched over night, it sounds relatively simple to fix so it will get fixed soon enough.

Feedback/suggestion forum might have been better, but I do believe that to create a discussion on this issue was a good move, especially since it DOES bring up the discussion that if weapons break this fast without them losing durability on parrying, then how fast are you going to be burning through weapons when it does? What kind of adjustments will have to be done? or should there even be adjustments? So kudos.

Personally I think durability reduction on a weapon that you deal damage with could probably be reduced if they fix so that parries reduce durability on a weapon.

It feels like the weapon that should be worse off is the one being used to parry and weapons need to last long enough to be worth their cost.

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
Yeah I think this has been a bug for so long that it's become a feature. Obviously fixing it is going to be a inconvenience to people but I think it's better for the game in the grand scheme of things.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Been sparring with some guildies and it does seem weapons do take durability damage from parries. Its just entirely reliant on blunt damage. Our roidgar mace user chews up like 5-10 durability per parry with his cuprum maul.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
Imagine complaining about weapons not losing durability enough ... Durability system right now is pointless, since you cant repair or salvage them ... just put the dmg loss threshold to like 10-20% instead of 50% ...

Reactions: MolagAmur

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Yeah this is a pretty crazy "bug" to be worried about. Taking a steel sword into PvE and it being under 50% durability 5-10 minutes in doesn't sound fun at all. Sorry?

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
Been sparring with some guildies and it does seem weapons do take durability damage from parries. Its just entirely reliant on blunt damage. Our roidgar mace user chews up like 5-10 durability per parry with his cuprum maul.

I find that hard to believe. I parried a cuprum great axe, which has A LOT of blunt dmg and could parry indefinitely without any dura loss.
Damage did go through my parries and hit me, but my weapon was unscathed after several duels.

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
Yeah this is a pretty crazy "bug" to be worried about. Taking a steel sword into PvE and it being under 50% durability 5-10 minutes in doesn't sound fun at all. Sorry?
I can't say this has been my experience but I guess this could happen.
Maybe some appropriate buffs to durabilites could come along with the fix, but as stated previously I think the game would benefit from it in the long run. Yeah sure we might need to bring an extra weapon or two but it's not the end of the world.
Besides, it would shake up the meta and have some people gravitate towards shields and one handers, which IMO is more fun than 'Two-handers-and-MA Online'.