Parry rework help with outnumbered fights

ThirdeyePULSE

Feb 12, 2022
I'm of the strong opinion that if parry was reworked to work like Chivalry 2 it would give people a chance at 1vx (outnumbered) fights if their skill was high enough. It works like this: if you parry any attack successfully, you have a brief window to riposte and it gives you a momentary window wherein you automatically block any attack even if it wasn't the same direction of original attack you successfully parried.

I think this would allow people to have a fighting chance it outnumbered fights but skilled players.

RaptorBlackz

Sep 4, 2020
Australia
And how would this work for high-ping, i feel like it would cause more problems than solving current combat issues.

Currently counter users have super-armour on riposte, Could potentially give enemys on hit a bounce-back aswell which delays the potential for next swing/parrying which can prevent spamming on the opponent. (Mordhau did something similar at one stage).

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
And how would this work for high-ping, i feel like it would cause more problems than solving current combat issues.

Currently counter users have super-armour on riposte, Could potentially give enemys on hit a bounce-back aswell which delays the potential for next swing/parrying which can prevent spamming on the opponent. (Mordhau did something similar at one stage).

Mord has that kind cartoony (imo) looking graphics and derpish physics, but it's def a more polished game. But yea counter reduce (super armor, interesting term, well-fitting! BDO KID? lol) does that kind of.

I would like to see something to reduce parrying hits after you are parried. There is like a quarter second downtime to where you can parry, unless you actually dodge where you have maybe a half sec. The windows are so small, and when you look at it, even in the context of only 4 attacks, it's high skill to get an attack thru, but is it the kind of skill people want, and is it the kind of skill that can be balanced out thru ping differences?

I think people need to stop worrying about fighting zergs. If there are ever anti-zerg mechanics that work, people will just get bigger zergs. I wouldn't mind the combat being a bit more slow but w/ more hits. Less twitch based and more about strategy, that seems like it would work w/ ping and would work better for big fights as well.

I dunno any anti-zerg mechanic that has achieved its purpose, altho more stam is gonna be nice. Plus zergs are mounted, too. Like I said once the game settles in and people start sieging and the battle lines are drawn, all of the people who only dueled in town and zerged outside of town are gonna have a tough time, IMO! We shall see. That'll be the anti zerg mechanic, their keep getting taken away.

Reactions: Jatix

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I think people need to stop worrying about fighting zergs. If there are ever anti-zerg mechanics that work, people will just get bigger zergs.
This. They can change parrying to help fight outnumbered. But when you get zerged by MA's Fat mages, foot mages, new probobly op necro pets, etc, it wont matter. And then does the new combat changes make 1v1's worse? If it still improved combat in all aspects it would be worth it. But if the new anti zerg mechanics make dueling aids it wouldn't be worth it.

ThirdeyePULSE

Feb 12, 2022
This. They can change parrying to help fight outnumbered. But when you get zerged by MA's Fat mages, foot mages, new probobly op necro pets, etc, it wont matter. And then does the new combat changes make 1v1's worse? If it still improved combat in all aspects it would be worth it. But if the new anti zerg mechanics make dueling aids it wouldn't be worth it.
It wouldn't effect dueling. 1v1 mechanics would be the same with this mechanic. It's not nessecarily an anti zerg mechanic it's a mechanic that allows skilled gameplay rather than 3 people just hacking you to bits while cornered because you can't block 3 attacks at once if they are all different directions. The window for when the succesful parry is active for blocking all other attack directions would be smaller than the reposte window. It would be short enough that it would help against multiple enemies attacking you at once but wouldn't protect you from two subsequent attacks from the same person.

In pvp this would help if you got cornered and outnumbered but you had higher skill than the people attacking you and could take advantage of the breathing room it would give you.

In PvE, this mechanic would give you ability to stand toe to toe with bandits and stronger opponents even if you grab too many.

I doubt their gonna change combat mechanics any time soon but out of all things I feel like that would add value to the game in a very simple straightforward way.

Reactions: Jatix