Overhaul Blocking

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I'd like to see a change in the current blocking system. Preferably one similar to the "old" system, but at the very least add some sort of blocking angle so you have to aim your block towards your opponent, rather than just match your block-direction with his swing-direction.

It's much too easy to block with the current system and this makes combat unnecessary long and tedious. Improved server optimisation aswell as synchronisation (which have been good) are helping in making the combat even fairer, but at the same time it is slowing down combat further due to players swinging in synchronisation with the server making their hits "seem" slower and easier to react to.

I'd like to see a system where you have a blocking angle active at whichever direction you are blocking and aiming at, with damage reduction the closer your opponents swing connects with your weapon or shield. Parrying would apply as it does now, if you block within a certain timeframe of your opponents swing you will parry and enable a counter-attack.

I find this will be more fair than the current system, both for attackers and defenders, aswell as make a difference if you use a shield or not due to the increased hitbox of a shield. Quite frankly I don't find it very fair to be using a reaction-based system for a game with a global server with latency reaching anywhere from 20 to 300+, it will only make balancing the timers gruesome because they will either be too long or too short, making blocking too easy or too hard respectively.

Reactions: Darran and Teknique

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Well parry whores always existed and so far all you have experienced is small scale battles with no mages or mounteds. Just wait for the group pvp as it’s intended. You will not feel like combat is unnecessarily long as your life can end in a moment no matter how well you blocked. That being said, I think there is always room for improvements and no doubt Henrik and his team are going to continue to tweak and manipulate combat for years to come.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Well parry whores always existed and so far all you have experienced is small scale battles with no mages or mounteds. Just wait for the group pvp as it’s intended. You will not feel like combat is unnecessarily long as your life can end in a moment no matter how well you blocked. That being said, I think there is always room for improvements and no doubt Henrik and his team are going to continue to tweak and manipulate combat for years to come.
I agree, put ye faith in Henrik and the Lord shall deliver.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I LIKE how easy blocking has become. It makes it feel like you have a chance to defend yourself and breath, especially if you are not a great PvPer. I think 360 should be fixed, because yes blocking someone behind you is silly, but otherwise, it is great.

Last edited:

Solairerection

May 28, 2020

You will inevitably end up in a 1v1 situation and then this situation will be blatant regardless. Even if 1v1's are less frequent than group-fights it should still be an area worth having good mechanics for.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I LIKE how easy blocking has become. It makes it feel like you have a chance to defend yourself and breath, especially if you are not a great PvPer.
Sorry but the game should not cater to shit tiers. Whats next, do you want a tab target option because you cant land your spells?

Reactions: Tehmudjin

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum

Here is a short video on how blocking currently is.
Extended block arcs messed with MO1 combat, will mess with MO2 combat. It needs to go. Duels should reward reaction timing, precision and footwork, not just reaction timing with a magic 360 block arc. In MO1 being allowed to footwork your way around a person blocking and hitting their side and back added to the skill ceiling, then they increased block arc and fucked it. It has no place in MO2 either.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Extended block arcs messed with MO1 combat, will mess with MO2 combat. It needs to go. Duels should reward reaction timing, precision and footwork, not just reaction timing with a magic 360 block arc. In MO1 being allowed to footwork your way around a person blocking and hitting their side and back added to the skill ceiling, then they increased block arc and fucked it. It has no place in MO2 either.
I'm shocked no one has spoken louder about the combat. I really really don't like it.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
For sure, the sooner the better.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Ohhh so much to say about alpha combat right now. I'll remake a post on what I've found..

Blocking 360 is dumb.

latency always allows lower numbers to connect first, and block faster.

Swinging through people gets annoying.

Also weapon range seems super short. I have great vision and the tips never hit anything. Also the 2h weapons are barely longer then the 1h weapons. Idk where that idea came from. But never ever has a 2handed weapon been shorter than a one handed. My love for mauls has been saddened by MO and the having the range of a one handed axe... uhg... my post I'll come tonight after some more testing.

Keep the heads up, got a lot of work to point out and work out.

bubbles

Jul 1, 2020
Ohhh so much to say about alpha combat right now. I'll remake a post on what I've found..

Blocking 360 is dumb.

latency always allows lower numbers to connect first, and block faster.

Swinging through people gets annoying.

Also weapon range seems super short. I have great vision and the tips never hit anything. Also the 2h weapons are barely longer then the 1h weapons. Idk where that idea came from. But never ever has a 2handed weapon been shorter than a one handed. My love for mauls has been saddened by MO and the having the range of a one handed axe... uhg... my post I'll come tonight after some more testing.

Keep the heads up, got a lot of work to point out and work out.
actually you have more reach swinging a weapon from 1 hand than from 2 hands because your body lets you extend your 1 arm further than 2 arms at the same time