Not Hard-Core Enough. Ghosting, Home Points and Haven

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I seriously never understood this new tendency in the past few years of creating huge open worlds and developers bragging about how their latest games have and even bigger open world than other games, when everyone seems to think it's a hassle to adventure in these worlds and just want a quick way to get around. That's why mainstream mmos all have teleportation. My questions is why bother creating a huge world? Seriously, what's the point? Why not just make a smaller and compact world that people can conveniently travel around?

The game isn't all ghost travelling. There is no teleporting other than when you want to go home, or if you're close enough to the priest you're hoping to port to. Yes in some cases it is more efficient to ghost run to the nearest location, farm for a bit, buy what you need and then return home as a ghost again, but in other cases (like when you want advanced CC and animal care) you're much better off farming the gold at home, gearing up, and making the trip for the books.

There is also plenty of content that requires you to be geared up and ready for it (like a dungeon) so you can't ghost travel to the location, you have to ride there with your character ready.

But if these adventures go wrong...I'm sorry I will already be pissed that I died and lost my stuff and time, I don't want to have to lose more time to returning home as either a ghost (better case) or a naked (worst case, which you basically suggested).

Shiroi

Apr 26, 2021
I re-read your first post to remind myself of your desires for the mechanic. I think the only way what you are suggesting could be accomplished (basically no ghost running to locations) would have to be at time of death you have to decide to rez at nearest priest or home priest and completely remove the ghost aspect of the game.

You also suggested that your ghost can only move a certain distance away from the nearest priest, which could also fix the ghost travel problem, but you would be introducing a reality that people would have to rez at the nearest priest when they die, then walk back home naked.

This will be a problem if priest camping is still possible, as it will require a person to log out until the priest is no longer camped. Or in some cases (like how GK was priest camped for weeks straight) your character is literally locked out of the game because there is no closer priest that isn't being camped.

First of all, Thank you for going back to re-red my original post. It' s nice when people make a genuine effort to understand what you're saying in order to have a real conversation.

Now, you made two points in your comment. Having to runback home naked after a death and priest camping.

For the first point, well it's not really that difficult to solve. All you have to do is stay around in that town where you resurrected for a little bit until you make enough gold to basically get yourself back on your feet before undertaking the journey back home.

As for the second point, I did suggest in my OP that you could have a few options for priests in different directions that you could choose to resurrect at. This would help solve priest camping.

I know that in both cases, this would seem like a big hassle. But I believe that this is the case only because of the current mindset where people feel like they should just be able to travel quickly anywhere on the map to get whatever they want and get back home quickly. To me this kind of mindset is not that different from mainstream mmos where people are just used to teleporting around the world to do different quests and so on.
The mere suggestion to those players that you would have to play a game where there is no teleportation and that you would have to actually take time to travel somewhere if you wanna go there and that you can even be killed by other players on the way is just unthinkable.

Yet here we are all taking part in this game experience that all those people deem unthinkable.

What those players don't understand is that, this is a completely different kind of game experience.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I know that in both cases, this would seem like a big hassle. But I believe that this is the case only because of the current mindset where people feel like they should just be able to travel quickly anywhere on the map to get whatever they want and get back home quickly. To me this kind of mindset is not that different from mainstream mmos where people are just used to teleporting around the world to do different quests and so on.
The mere suggestion to those players that you would have to play a game where there is no teleportation and that you would have to actually take time to travel somewhere if you wanna go there and that you can even be killed by other players on the way is just unthinkable

I think you're overgeneralizing with this. You've taken a small niche case of people using ghost running to obtain low cost books in other locations, or people moving to other locations to start from naked in a new place. If you look at my previous post I gave two examples of reasons why ghosting is not common for actual travel, and only useful in a few situations.

And sure maybe I'm not 'hardcore' enough because I don't want to have to start from naked in a location I happened to get killed in rather than just return to my home. It has nothing to do with wanting the ability to teleport across the map.

I think at this point it's a fundamental disagreement, and I'm fairly confident that the system as it is will stay. The only thing I imagine changing with the ghost system will be ghost scouting and maybe psyche effecting ghost speed.

Reactions: Turbizzler

Shiroi

Apr 26, 2021
The game isn't all ghost travelling. There is no teleporting other than when you want to go home, or if you're close enough to the priest you're hoping to port to. Yes in some cases it is more efficient to ghost run to the nearest location, farm for a bit, buy what you need and then return home as a ghost again, but in other cases (like when you want advanced CC and animal care) you're much better off farming the gold at home, gearing up, and making the trip for the books.

There is also plenty of content that requires you to be geared up and ready for it (like a dungeon) so you can't ghost travel to the location, you have to ride there with your character ready.

But if these adventures go wrong...I'm sorry I will already be pissed that I died and lost my stuff and time, I don't want to have to lose more time to returning home as either a ghost (better case) or a naked (worst case, which you basically suggested).

Now I will give you the dungeon part.

I can only imagine the frustration of traveling all the way to a dungeon and adventure/survive long enough only to be killed by the boss and lose everything and have to try again.

But it's funny that you should mention Advanced Creature Control and Animal Care books. Because I had to undertake that journey myself recently. And this was before I was familiar with the game well enough to know about ghosting and stuff.

The craziest part is I was based in Tindrem, which is pretty much the farthest point you can be from the jungle camp.

I did in fact make a whole plan where I got a horse and decided to go to Bakti and planned to live there for a while, while farming the gold necessary for the books (because I wasn't gonna carry that much gold all the way from Tindrem) and then make multiple trips to the jungle camp till I got all the books then finally go back to Tindrem after I'm done.

In this case, not only did I enjoy this process a lot, but I don't see how home point would have helped me.

Anyway, I get where you're coming from in regards to the dungeon part and I also know that this game is not all ghosting and home point, otherwise I wouldn't be making this suggestion in this particular forum.

Thanks for the feedback and Cheers mate

Reactions: Kelzyr

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
Seriously, if that's what you understood from what I said, then I don't know what to tell you man. Because it is almost the exact opposite of what I was trying to say.

Please read what I wrote again and try to understand what people are actually saying before you comment.

Cheers
I understand excactly what you say , i think its one of the best additions, especially for people that are not interested in walking or riding that much a day, most people play for the pvp , and having to travel long amounts of time doesnt add to any fun to the game, besides if u want to get stuff over another town u still have to do it alive. Even getting 1 gearset to another town would require u to be alive. Ur naked u cant wear anything. I dont get it why would we remove home priest P.S what is hardcore about traveling lots of hours a week for no reason.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
That's the thing though.

Ask yourself how much you would be willing to pay for a book that costs 50S and that's only available in the Jungle camp while you're based in Fab with the current mechanics.

And now ask yourself the same question if you couldn't ghost, home point or nearest point teleport.
The question is moot because if the game removed those things I wouldn't be devoting the time to play it properly, sure I could live without home priest but if I have to travel the map naked to get back to town everytime I died...sorry I just don't have that kind of time as I'm sure many others don't.

Felurial

Apr 30, 2021
The question is moot because if the game removed those things I wouldn't be devoting the time to play it properly, sure I could live without home priest but if I have to travel the map naked to get back to town everytime I died...sorry I just don't have that kind of time as I'm sure many others don't.
Agreed. Let’s not bring the game to a state in which it’s only efficiently playable by those who work from home, don’t work, or otherwise don’t have the free time to devote 30mins-2 hours to devote to moving around and recovering from death for the sake of “hardcore gameplay”. There’s a difference between hardcore and masochism, let’s not swing wildly towards the latter...

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Home priest is am amazing and needed change from MO1. They better not remove it. Ghosting back for 30 minutes isnt hardcore, its boring. and if they didnt want a home priest option in the game they shouldnt have made the map too big. Home priest is here to stay.

Haven bank is fishy but all they need to do to fix that is make it so when you pic ka town it moves all your haven bank items to that towns bank, and have no haven banker.

Also haven shouldn't make people have to remake theri character when they leave. Thats a fantastic way to make sure new players dont want to play the game, and a great idea if you want a dead empty world to ghost around in.