Nights have become ridiculous

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I like it. Will lead to some pretty interesting scenarios. Groups could roll up on each other in the night without knowing it. Players may be able to travel safer at night. Not to mention, your light ring allows you to see a certain radius. Outside of that radius is pitch black so gamma has no effect. Lastly, the night vision clade bonus would mean nothing without actual dark nights.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
dark nights are a major problem and even if they make the moon brighter, when clouds are swinging by you wont see anyway.
does SV realize that they just force people to use ugly GAMMA modes? who has the highest gamma and the best nightmode is the deciding factor at night.
bright nights or real darkness

PatWins

May 28, 2020
dark nights are a major problem and even if they make the moon brighter, when clouds are swinging by you wont see anyway.
does SV realize that they just force people to use ugly GAMMA modes? who has the highest gamma and the best nightmode is the deciding factor at night.
bright nights or real darkness when
Just an FYi, gamma does nothing outside of your light radius.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I like it. Will lead to some pretty interesting scenarios. Groups could roll up on each other in the night without knowing it. Players may be able to travel safer at night. Not to mention, your light ring allows you to see a certain radius. Outside of that radius is pitch black so gamma has no effect. Lastly, the night vision clade bonus would mean nothing without actual dark nights.
Insert [I am once again asking for Nightvision clade.] Bernie meme

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Just an FYi, gamma does nothing outside of your light radius.
and this is the major problem, there is light nearly everywhere at night. they have to remove every light source or add something like black fog to prevent gamme use.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Darran

May 28, 2020
They need to fix it where you can hold a torch in your offhand or the dark nights and dungeons will be no fun. Gamma is an unpredictable solution, it doesn't help everywhere so you can find yourself in trouble when you rely on it.

This. If they dont add offhand torches or other light sources we can use without combat mode, people will log off during dark nights like MO 1.

D

Dracu

Its an "interesting choice"... lets test it a bit, give it a chance and then complain big time if we hate it in one week.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I was just doing a run with Jordaine where the moon illuminated the area around us very clearly but anything further out was impossible to see until closer to dawn. If it was like that all the time everywhere, and activating night vision removed that fog while a torch and certain spells extended it... I'd be pretty happy with that.

They need to fix it where you can hold a torch in your offhand or the dark nights and dungeons will be no fun. Gamma is an unpredictable solution, it doesn't help everywhere so you can find yourself in trouble when you rely on it.

I fully agree with this though. Torches as an off-hand thing would be nice. Even hanging on your belt or spells sounds fine to me. But any time a torch is giving light it should be losing durability and the light spell should lower mana regen or something when maintained. Like having a light shouldn't be entirely inconsequential and it shouldn't be as good as nightvision clade buffs but it shouldn't take up your main hand weapon slot either.

Last edited:

a.out

May 28, 2020
I'm not sure why the nights were made even darker. Nobody liked this before today's patch, nobody likes it now.

View attachment 1128
I always liked dark nights. It gives purpose to player made light sources (and now Nightvision gifts). I greatly disliked the removal of pitch black nights in MO1. I welcome their goal of making a kind of darkness that cannot be bypassed with gamma tweaks.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Let's not forget they made nights brighter in MO1 because there were so many complaints.

a.out

May 28, 2020
Let's not forget they made nights brighter in MO1 because there were so many complaints.
Well .. I mean ... people are stupid what should I say. :p

Fact of the matter is is that it fits this game like no other. Its goal is immersion, including risk and danger. It's also a sandbox game where you have to come up with solutions for challenges the game or its inhabitants present. MO1 had crappy lighting even with torches, they also never got around implementing a gamma tweak resistant darkness. There also was no nightvision.

When it comes to grand design, SV should stick to their vision (and I'm pretty sure they will). Too many games are ruined by a dev team that tries to make a game the community wants. It will lose all charme and identity.

Last edited:

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Well .. I mean ... people are stupid what should I say. :p

Fact of the matter is is that it fits this game like no other. Its goal is immersion, including risk and danger. It's also a sandbox game where you have to come up with solutions for challenges the game or its inhabitants present. MO1 had crappy lighting even with torches, they also never got around implementing a gamma tweak resistant darkness. There also was no nightvision.

When it comes to grand design, SV should stick to their vision (and I'm pretty sure they will). Too many games are ruined by a dev team that tries to make a game the community wants. It will lose all charme and identity.
I get the whole immersion thing and i do think it being really dark is cool...until you want to do something. If you get in a pvp situation or farming mobs its actually quite annoying seeing as 2h handers are most common and you can't hold a torch...nor can mages since they can't cast with a torch in their hand.

But yeah...that's why it was changed. Maybe the night vision will actually work and it won't be as annoying in MO2.