Myrland could be a nice place,

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
The game is safer than ever and the population is the same as it has always been so I don't know why you bring up retention as a type of threat. The next big title that drops will take the population we have because that is how it works, and some will come back if the game if fun enough. Your expectation of safety is not more important than other players experiences. Sorry you lost your loot, but that is a part of the game, instead of having a mental breakdown and lashing out at everyone on the forums try to learn from the mistakes you made that got you took, and correct them. Good luck and gods speed.

• Wow
Reactions: Slarti Bartfast

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
The game is safer than ever and the population is the same as it has always been so I don't know why you bring up retention as a type of threat. The next big title that drops will take the population we have because that is how it works, and some will come back if the game if fun enough. Your expectation of safety is not more important than other players experiences. Sorry you lost your loot, but that is a part of the game, instead of having a mental breakdown and lashing out at everyone on the forums try to learn from the mistakes you made that got you took, and correct them. Good luck and gods speed.
Was this directed toward me Truth? if so, that's not the point I was trying to make, nor have I lost any loot I can't recover, nor am I having a mental breakdown, neither am I lashing out on the forums; I'm talking and sharing my views on fundamentally the "what Myrland Could be" imagining the teamwork of players. I consider the possibility of such teamwork to create rather than destroy (I am a strong proponent of PvP as it brings that 'real life mortality factor'/danger) as interesting, not in lamentation.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
More on this note Jack, I think there is something to be said for the fact that the game mechanics just don't support trying to be a law-bringer in this world. In the real world you have prisons, and permadeath. In MO1 you had "stat loss" that capped out at 15% which isn't much of a deterrent, and I guess banishment from towns where guards were at play, however that latter point wasn't as much of an issue with player built storage sheds/banks and red towns/camps to store things at.

Correct. MO1 was way way more punishing to those wanting to RPK. MO2 is 10 times easier to play as an indiscriminate murderer. This is by design, which means Henrik wants more RPKs in this game. I myself liked the old system better, but am forced with this new reality where PK has almost no negative consequences ( often you cant even report the murderer because the game bugs out). The system does not encourage pvp. The system encourages a greefing and aggressive playstyle.

It's why even if the "good guys" won the day on the battlefield in MO1, it wasn't a lasting victory, and more often than not was simply pyrrhic as the "red guilds" got what they wanted out of a fight and the "blue guilds" overcame those odds at great cost and then got saddled with the additional costs of rebuilding from the destruction.

Furthermore and on a personal note, I think I always just resented these red-tagged players presenting themselves as "1337 PeeVeePee'ers" when the reality is that they just ganked and gangbanged without any thought to actual competition. They didn't want a fight, they wanted someone to bully.
At least in the days of old AQ, and while not always true, there were times where if they had you alone or greatly outnumbered, they could offer you the chance to fight for life and gear 1 to 1 against one of their own.
I've gone toe to toe with Warmonger and Cyde, and after beating the former- Eladriel tried to attack me in the back, only to lose to me as well. The rest of them allowed me to go my own way after honorably fighting one and beating the dishonorable attack of another.
To me, that was what an honest PvPer was about, they wanted a challenge- not just pure 1v1's but in the sense that there's no honor or challenge killing two or three players with a 15+ group. There's no challenge or competition in killing a solo player with a squad of guys. That's not PvP, that's just bullying.

Also correct. A large portion of those that call themselves “ pvpers” are nothing but bullies. They do not look for a fair fight against an qually geared (or better) opponent. They are always looking for the weakest target they can get and the cheapest tactic to employ to ruin someone else's day, even if its very obvious that they have only trash on them and are obviously not good at pvp. Graveyard camping. In town sniping. Horse/pet killing. Naked mage banging. Jumping people that are fighting aggressive mobs…..All things that are allowed by the mechanics of the game even though they are nothing but greefing tools. Again, this is by design. It can only mean that Henrik enjoys having that type of gameplay in the game. And the new flagging system does nothing but encourage it. The punishment is laughable.

Slarti Bartfast

Mar 6, 2022
Thanks for the props on the stories Callenmore. It's what I came here for... the immersion... the realism you spoke of I might call "societal" realism.

I'm annoyed that folks that choose a murderous lifestyle simply run a few packages and they're good again. I think I'd like something like MO1 from what I've heard. I never played it, but those that play the part of murderous robbers should be marked as so and barred from guarded cities/towns upon penalty of death. I think the realism you were speaking of is the societal realism. Too loose a controls and it becomes harder to appreciate as a microcosm of a society... rather becoming a microcosm of chaos. I think most players in MO2 lean towards the former, even if they're not hardcore. They appreciate the societal realism even if they're robbers and murderers. There are also, as mentioned, the opportunists, though I think even a good number of them appreciate the immersion MO2 provides, even if they're not die hard RPers. They at least have an understanding of why others would choose that playstyle and fight honorably, only murdering and taking what they need or adding a flourish of RP to it by offering you a chance for last words while you're in mercy before ending you.

There are also, however, a healthy handful of those that just want to bully. MO2's environment is so permissive of this currently that I fear it threatens the very immersion that is it's selling point for a majority of the population, even the pvpers. The griefers could give a damn about any other playstyle at all and will destroy immersion through needless griefing while yelling, "it's full loot game crybaby" because they know it is annoying. Full on trolls. IMO, there need to be more disincentives to do this. Never played MO1, but I love what I hear about there being red tags. Choose a damn side or get fancy with it and hover in the middle, but it should require some thought and effort that lends to the immersion. Not just "I KILL YOU BECUZ I BAD GUY YOU SUCK HAHAHAH GO CRY" while still enjoying all the comforts of civilized and guarded cities/towns by delivering a few packages. I hope this is improved on in the future. It can really make a difference for the long term health of the game imo. Griefers can easily destroy the depth of societal realism by scaring off new players that may have otherwise stuck around and added to that depth.

People are not afraid to be killed and loose all their shit in immersive combat. But they get annoyed as hell by a turd repeatedly ganking them with janky gameplay mechanics to show off their leetness and leave. Can't say I haven't felt that way at times with this game, but I temper my annoyance by remembering this is a small staff working on an incredibly complicated game. There's bound to be jank stuff unless they greatly expand their operation. The trade off is that I get a game that stays more true to it's immersive, full-loot vision than a larger, more shareholder driven game might do.

I really enjoy how many different people from different places play this game. I hear so many different languages. That just blows my mind on a daily basis. Helps add to the societal realism.

Reactions: Callenmore

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
Thank you Slarti, for your comments - I saw you btw, just as I was logging out the other day in Meduli, you came up, saw me, and gave me a big thumbs up lol - that was awesome my friend.

This game is truly amazing. I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and see games like this as the future. I find your stories that you post to be exceptionally well thought out and written and I appreciate your immersive, role playing style of gaming. In my mind, you're an example of what makes Myrland Nice, truly; it's the players that can take a game, be it as simple as the old Dungeons and Dragons table top, or a cutting edge MO2, and use the lore, the mechanics, and build something extraordinary on top of it, making the game enriched for others around them as well as themselves. THAT'S the Myrland I see.

So set up your breweries! Raise your towns! Enjoy the fellowship of others like us - and by the Gods ~ keep that beer flowing!! 🍻

Callenmore

Feb 7, 2023
(by the by - remind me again where your shops are, and I'll be certain to come visit the next time I'm around!)

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
@Jackdstripper it is not easier by design. It should be because games are meant to be fun, but it isn't. If you know where and what you can exploit you can carve out a almost reasonable experience as a crimina, but that is not by design. By design you get red priested for trying to pvp, and then uninstall after you realize your lost in the wild, have a hour+ runback (if you know the map resource and can effectivley us it), have lost all your bank items because your rep is also to low, and if you want to keep playing you now have to reroll and pve, or find another place to live (again if you know how to find a map and can effectively us it).

Last edited: