My problem with Mortal online 2.

T2ddyb3ar

Feb 13, 2022
As a vet mortal online 1 player and well known mo 1 pvper im trying my best too like mortal online 2 .. and honestly the base of mortal online 2 is awesome it feels way more fleshed out then mortal online 1 .

But there seems too be a few things i just cant get over. one of those is the speed in mortal online 2 everything feels like its happening in slow-motion. the map is like 2/3x and movement feels stupidly slow , walking too a horse spawn feels like a chore and takes +-20 min.

This also makes combat incredibly dumbed down in its current state solo pvp or small scale pvp is nearly impossible. The skill cap is so low that my grandma could probably compete without too much effort. Parrying is way too easy and rewarding swings are way too slow just like movement. Feinting is also way too slow too be useful. There is no real counter too someone just spamming block without any real drawback.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
TEDDY!!

:eek:

Agree tho! But the speed isn't gonna change afaik, so as I have said 100x, they need to add in more chip dmg or something, esp to people who are just standing there and blocking. I can def blast people up and avoid their counter (and I'm not even good), but over time I'm just not doing enough dmg to matter. I dunno how else to fix it tho without changing the speed and I dono if there's any chance of that happening. The speed isn't actually that bad (imo) if you take parry out of the equation. On a Thur maybe but on an elf, it's not bad. Like I said dodging works, but by the time you hit them, you dodge their counter, and then come back in, they are ready to parry again, and eventually they are gonna hit you. Even if you play really close then you just get counter reduces.

Hopefully your input is more highly regarded by the devs and we finally get a PARRY FIX!

Otherwise, work on your 360s lool.

Reactions: T2ddyb3ar

nazgo

May 29, 2020
took me a while to realise we had [block] in the game, as I could just hold my block for an eternity and still get a parry. But yea, the game favours mounted gameplay over everything else atm, as we have even less tools to dismount people than we had in MO1, and still people complain how bows do "too much" dmg against horses 🤦‍♂️. In multiplayer games, you usually have something like a kick or a punch to break the parryspamming, but in MO2 we have nothing. That combined with the fact that almost every block is actually a parry, it makes fights last longer than they should.

The current balance is pretty much build around big battles/sieges, and everyone having fun times in those, at the expense of small scale pvp.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2ddyb3ar

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Oh it's Teddy, noice.

PvP mechanics and it's pacing has been a hot topic for a long period, many MO1 veterans have pointed out flaws or expressed dislike towards certain aspects. But SV is very hesitant to make changes when it comes to PvP, since they want Ping to be as equal as they can get it, hence the slow sluggish parry whore combat. Be prepared for the resident brown nosers to say "RoSe TinTed gLaSSes" or "AdApT, ItS BeTtEr ThiS WaY"

SV has been a lot quicker to make changes in other areas, based on player feedback, which is a nice change from the sometimes 1 year reaction times from SV, to make changes based on feedback in MO1. Though some decisions do seem a little knee jerky and result in half systems or content being added.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
The slowness is on purpose due to the one server design. In order to speed the game up there's have to be regional servers

T2ddyb3ar

Feb 13, 2022
Yeah i dont buy that .. Alot of mortal online 1's best players where from Australia/America/Canada.

I did some testing today and the blocking literally covers a 360 degree area around ur character. ( go test this urself)
combine that with the sluggish slow combat/movement it just takes away any skill.

* and hello too all the vets/mortal 1 players hope you guys are doing well!

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
This is how I see it (and yea I've said it before) :

I was anti- parry for a long time when I came in in beta and was trying to find any way to succeed with it out. I noticed that MO2 has a really cool swing arc dmg calculation, like you can move into arcs and negate damage, even to 0, without a handle hit. It depends on how the swing goes thru you. Now, with parry the damage is gonna be 0 or 2... 7... whatever the tick is based on your blocking/their blunt/maybe str. I think all they'd have to do is really ease up the overall effectiveness of parry and put the swing arc mechanics into it, so if you took a great swing arc and parried it, you might take a 15, but if you mostly dodged and glanced a parry off your sword, you'd get almost 0 or 0 dmg. That would encourage moving. The reason the combat seems slow is because everyone telegraphs their movements while the other waits. Even feints and glitch swings are telegraphs, just fake telegraphs, obv.

If you get it so both players are moving and the swing arcs are coming into effect (cuz you can fight a no parry duel and negate a lot of dmg if you know how to move) + parry for a fully charged swing, it would not seem slow at all. It only seems slow because of how methodical it is.

But yea if you're gonna stand there and parry my axe and let me hit you with a perfect swing arc, for instance, you should take enough dmg to pressure you into thinking twice about doing it. And in that case, you can also leave the windows as large as they are, and I dunno how that would imbalance group fights, either.

My2c at least.

Reactions: CrgHck

Vaith

May 28, 2020
The skill in MO2 comes from concealing swing directions by looking in certain directions while charging the swing up and/or spinning around to try to conceal swing direction, both of these feel bad and looks dumb. (EDIT: and Counter-Feint macros ofc)

NAians are still crying about Ping disadvantage even with this "ping normalization" so why bother? Might as well give real 'ping advantage' back (Which really just meant different regional fighting styles)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThaBadMan and nazgo

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Welcome back Teddy!

Yeah we are a dying breed, getting outplayed by the masses of brown nosers around Henrik like in MO.

As history teaches us, MO2 combat used to be alot better! But then the fire nation attacked...

ICKKnight

Feb 22, 2021
Big thing for me is the size of the map. I just wished they would have not made it as big as they did. They could have taken MO1 map and changed a few things around and updated it and that would have worked perfect.