Mounts need to be reworked / non combat viable mounts

aarvex

Jan 18, 2022
Speed is king in the open world. Some mounts should allow mounted combat and others shouldn't to be able to help balance the game. (Or have severe penalties)

I'm going to give a random example here to illustrate what I mean.

Let's say only Jotun horses (random horse don't focus on this) are the only horses you can do mounted combat from and not be gimped. You can now balance Jotun horses around combat effectiveness, you can increase their health and natural armor, you can further specialize the animal and balance it accordingly.

Right now since all mounted combat can be done on all the available mounts effectively and gankers have a huge advantage. In the open world mobility is key.

You could even add a massive mounted combat penalty to certain mounts if not outright preventing it, like massive stamina drain / damage reduction / move speed reduction.

If you allow mounted combat to operate just as efficiently on every type of mount the fastest mounts will be used by gankers and small group and solo players will just leave the game. Ganking is the lowest form of PvP, it's fun to shit stomp noobs but it shouldn't be as easy as it is. You should be able to somewhat reliably escape ganks. The gankers should have to put in work.

The major benefit of doing something like this is all the sudden you can start balancing specific mounts more to fill a niche. Sure desert horses are the fastest but maybe you can't fight from them effectively or at all and they're harder to take down. Maybe steppe horses get more HP but can't wear bags and the excel for mounted melee.

Otherwise it's just going to be the same as the crafting system where sure there may technically be millions of choices but realistically people use like 4 different resources

Reactions: Jatix

Tzone

May 16, 2021
They just buffed jotuns but still not viable.

Just give jotuns no stam loss in second gear at least. You gain stam back on a jotun in 2nd gear with you have switch riding but really eveyone should not lose stam on a jotun in 2nd. You dont even have to make it give you stam back.

IDK why they buffed steppe and desert horse stamina but not the Jotuns. Jotuns used to be 30% more stamina then the other horses. Increase Jotuns stamina again to be 30% more then the next highest a steppe along no stam or regain in 2nd w/o swift riding and then it would be stomachable.

Even with 1300 stamina it felt like the deserts and steppes back when they had 1k stamina would lose less and get farther with less.

aarvex

Jan 18, 2022
As I said I chose a random horse ad an example I could of used any other horse.

The problem is you can change stamina / speed / hp values but if they remain with the same combat effectiveness the fastest mount will be used by gankers and there will be no escape.

I'm not even sure what you're on about if I'm being honest lol.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
While most gankers will haste this, this is the kind of thing the game needs. Mounted is and probobly always will be too op for ganking for the games good.

Compare to foot ganking another foot player. Swinging takes stamina. So if someone doesnt get hard stickied to death and just tries to run they have the chance you stam out or they get gap. And then you use your stam trying to catch up.

You cna try to use a bow if they get gap but that shits stamina so if you dont kill them right away you also stam and they can get away.

The person running at least has a chance to escape. Which is fair seeing that they lose all their shit when they die.

Then theres mounted. MA takes no stam from your mount. You can chase and chase and just keep shooting. Theres 0 hope to get away unless they were pre stammed and you live long enough for them to stam out.

And before someone says to use skill and fight back. Thats not how this game works. You dont win 1v4. And you dont win 1v1 vs a guy in ogh on a max bred 125 mount (when they add shit breeding again pasted from mo1), tung+ horse armor, potions, etc. You can be the guy in ogh but then you still prob ran into 1v4 and died. Sometimes the only close to fair thing to do is run. And mounted chasing is just broken.

Sincerely, a ganker.

aarvex

Jan 18, 2022
The person running at least has a chance to escape. Which is fair seeing that they lose all their shit when they die.

Sincerely, a ganker.

This sums it up pretty well, if someone doesn't want to fight they should have a reliable way to escape if you want a healthy game. It feels like SV just wants to make really convoluted systems that don't really do anything for the game. We have like 2 billion resources and "soon" will have even more mounts but it honestly just ends up with players using 2-3 because they're the only worthwhile options.

Reactions: Jatix

Dramonis

Mar 4, 2022
Speed is king in the open world. Some mounts should allow mounted combat and others shouldn't to be able to help balance the game. (Or have severe penalties)

I'm going to give a random example here to illustrate what I mean.

Let's say only Jotun horses (random horse don't focus on this) are the only horses you can do mounted combat from and not be gimped. You can now balance Jotun horses around combat effectiveness, you can increase their health and natural armor, you can further specialize the animal and balance it accordingly.

Right now since all mounted combat can be done on all the available mounts effectively and gankers have a huge advantage. In the open world mobility is key.

You could even add a massive mounted combat penalty to certain mounts if not outright preventing it, like massive stamina drain / damage reduction / move speed reduction.

If you allow mounted combat to operate just as efficiently on every type of mount the fastest mounts will be used by gankers and small group and solo players will just leave the game. Ganking is the lowest form of PvP, it's fun to shit stomp noobs but it shouldn't be as easy as it is. You should be able to somewhat reliably escape ganks. The gankers should have to put in work.

The major benefit of doing something like this is all the sudden you can start balancing specific mounts more to fill a niche. Sure desert horses are the fastest but maybe you can't fight from them effectively or at all and they're harder to take down. Maybe steppe horses get more HP but can't wear bags and the excel for mounted melee.

Otherwise it's just going to be the same as the crafting system where sure there may technically be millions of choices but realistically people use like 4 different resources

I think is easier if fix mounted archery reduce range damage against horse make it more difficult to aim while running, you feel this way cuz MA right now is breaking the game allowing ppl to kill a horse with 3 hits

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
They just buffed jotuns but still not viable.

Just give jotuns no stam loss in second gear at least. You gain stam back on a jotun in 2nd gear with you have switch riding but really eveyone should not lose stam on a jotun in 2nd. You dont even have to make it give you stam back.

IDK why they buffed steppe and desert horse stamina but not the Jotuns. Jotuns used to be 30% more stamina then the other horses. Increase Jotuns stamina again to be 30% more then the next highest a steppe along no stam or regain in 2nd w/o swift riding and then it would be stomachable.

Even with 1300 stamina it felt like the deserts and steppes back when they had 1k stamina would lose less and get farther with less.

They dont lose stamina in second gear if you have swift riding and controlled riding. It is the issue that they are THE SLOWEST MOUNT IN THE GAME! It is almost faster to run places on foot than to ride a Jotun horse.

And that buff they made was a joke. I noticed 2 more hitpoints at max level, so from 330 to 332... wow... And a whopping 10% damage reduction at best. Still not worth taking them.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I think is easier if fix mounted archery reduce range damage against horse make it more difficult to aim while running, you feel this way cuz MA right now is breaking the game allowing ppl to kill a horse with 3 hits

If you're running a low level horse yes 3 hits. But a good asym bow still takes about 5 hits to bring down a decent level horse (75-100) at 50-60 damage a hit through armor. I dont know how many low level horses I have killed in 2-3 hits with a short bow when people are chasing me.

This issue isnt the damage that mounted archery does, it is the fact that mounted archery is gyro stabilized right now and is missing the bow aim wobble. Which is coming soon"TM".

Reactions: Dramonis

aarvex

Jan 18, 2022
If you're running a low level horse yes 3 hits. But a good asym bow still takes about 5 hits to bring down a decent level horse (75-100) at 50-60 damage a hit through armor. I dont know how many low level horses I have killed in 2-3 hits with a short bow when people are chasing me.

This issue isnt the damage that mounted archery does, it is the fact n gf,t mounted archery is gyro stabilized right now and is missing the bow aim wobble. Which is coming soon"TM".

It doesn't matter if it's gyro stabilized, if someone can shoot from horses that run the same speed as someone elses when they're trying to escape it doesn't matter the result will be the same it will just take a few extra shots.

The mount system in Is just overall not fun to interact with in any way

Reactions: Tzone

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Considering theres no breeding, la horses should be the same yet i think shitty horses in particular areas like the north are a good way to balance the resources. It's understandable the north being so rich in the resources found It's only fair other regions hace their commodities, if you want a desert horse then tame or buy one in the region u wanna use it ir transport it.

Also it Is quite possible to outrun an armored horse with an armorless, to flee from the average mounted archer but hardly múltiple ones.
Lighter horse armors should have lesser impact on speed and naked horses faster, still giving a chasing windows but a higher chance to escape having the obvious lack of dmg mitigation.

Then It's hard to know which way to balance combat pets but i'd say a good start Is stamina usage, some hp and slightly dífferent mitigations, for example jotuns having lesser overall dismount chance among other buffs.

Rn there are meta horses, armored deserts and no other type of horses offer a real alternative maybe except the steppe that Is more accesible and comparable but lesser aswell.

Like mentioned before ideal would be that controlled riding was seccondary and the mounted fighting skills primary. Unlocking 100 points for footies that should be able to ride like a mounted fighter and 100 for mounteds to be more spec into foot combat or any other utility skill.

Then yeah proper MA nerfs.