Most helpful steam review comments claiming guilds require proof of ethnicity?

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
wanna post a bounty? :D

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden

Should I really need to tell you why?

• It’s immoral and it hurts a lot of people.
  • Some comments, especially about race, religion etc. are also illegal in many countries.
  • It hurts the player base. Many examples of that in the comments in the Steam review by MedicRabbit.

Reactions: pooternackle

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
If someone discriminates in game. IN GAME. or breaks ToS in game. IN GAME. Then people should be banned, if someone is doing anything outside of the game. IE: Discord guild recruitment, SV is in no way responsible for policing their actions. This is a slippery slope to abide by, imagine twitch where content creators were banned for saying a bad word years ago on another platform. Or twitter mobs ect. Leave that shit at the door when you come into MO2, kill or be killed and play the game. If someone does something that breaks ToS in game then by all means report them. But other than that keep the all righteous crusade to the other 99% of moderated content on the internet.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
If someone discriminates in game. IN GAME. or breaks ToS in game. IN GAME. Then people should be banned, if someone is doing anything outside of the game. IE: Discord guild recruitment, SV is in no way responsible for policing their actions. This is a slippery slope to abide by, imagine twitch where content creators were banned for saying a bad word years ago on another platform. Or twitter mobs ect. Leave that shit at the door when you come into MO2, kill or be killed and play the game. If someone does something that breaks ToS in game then by all means report them. But other than that keep the all righteous crusade to the other 99% of moderated content on the internet.

YEP.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
You can sue a company for whatever you want mate. SV could even sue you claiming they're a racist company if they wanted to. Thirdly no just because a guild is allegedly racist doesn't mean you can sue SV for descrimination lmao. Lastly it's obviously someone who hates MO and wants to get useful idiots to try and do their work for them by race baiting. I've never once seen or heard anyone say something racist in this game

Just want to be clear, my primary intention for this thread was to just to say, "Individuals are claiming that 1) guilds are requiring proof of ethnicity to join 2) SV is banning people for bringing this to their attention and 3) thus the game is a racism cesspool abetted by the developers which should be removed from Steam."

Whether or not anyone in this thread thinks guilds asking for ethnicity is ok or saying it's wrong is "cancel culture" is somewhat beside the point (though I should have figured wherever political/social arguments can happen they will).

I posted the defaming/libel information because regardless of how people in this thread feel about the thing being claimed, piling on a negative review with claims that the developers are banning players for being concerned about a guild requiring proof of ethnicity to join is something that I could very well see them lose sales (and a lot of it became known as "truth").

I posted that link to also illustrate the pieces that are needed for defaming a company in a way that justify damages being sought. It has to be malice, it has to be false, and it has to cause damage.

Saying Apple makes bad computers in a review is just your opinion. saying Tim Cook is encouraging his employees to steal immigrant children off the street to work on building their laptops and so you shouldn't by their computers in a review on a major tech website of the new Macbook Pro because they rejected one of your returns once is defaming the company (if not true) is not just your opinion and is potentially something more serious.

As a person that's interested in this game getting a fair shake at success, I was mostly trying to highlight that 1) the most "helpful" comment is incredibly negative (and mostly debated to be incorrect by people who've played, but being validated by people who haven't) and 2) in a very active comment thread on that most helpful review are comments that may be factually false and are defaming both the game and the developers in a pretty serious way (particularly the claim that people are being banned for talking about it) as a "pile on".

I'm guessing from the responses here that people are just "boys will be boys" about trolls on the internet and instead want talk about why it's great that Guild X only allows people with epicanthic folds to join their guild, but we're not gonna solve that here, it doesn't materially affect the ability for the game to exist after launch and trying to hash that out here potentially only furthers the claims in the review that MO2 is a toxic community.

I'm not for excessive thought/speech policing and at the same time, a game being known for having a "toxic community" in the gaming zeitgeist for whatever the reason greatly reduces its chance of success and greatly increases the chance for the average gamer to give it a total pass.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021

Although I completely agree, this is not how the modern world works.

If you post a link to some controversial thing on Facebook, you might get fired at work. There are even cases of people just liking a post and there were repercussions. The world has gone mad. I wouldn't be surprised if this will flow over to games aswell.

Just want to be clear, my primary intention for this thread was to just to say, "Individuals are claiming that 1) guilds are requiring proof of ethnicity to join 2) SV is banning people for bringing this to their attention and 3) thus the game is a racism cesspool abetted by the developers which should be removed from Steam."

Whether or not anyone in this thread thinks guilds asking for ethnicity is ok or saying it's wrong is "cancel culture" is somewhat beside the point (though I should have figured wherever political/social arguments can happen they will).

I posted the defaming/libel information because regardless of how people in this thread feel about the thing being claimed, piling on a negative review with claims that the developers are banning players for being concerned about a guild requiring proof of ethnicity to join is something that I could very well see them lose sales (and a lot of it became known as "truth").

I posted that link to also illustrate the pieces that are needed for defaming a company in a way that justify damages being sought. It has to be malice, it has to be false, and it has to cause damage.

Saying Apple makes bad computers in a review is just your opinion. saying Tim Cook is encouraging his employees to steal immigrant children off the street to work on building their laptops and so you shouldn't by their computers in a review on a major tech website of the new Macbook Pro because they rejected one of your returns once is defaming the company (if not true) is not just your opinion and is potentially something more serious.

As a person that's interested in this game getting a fair shake at success, I was mostly trying to highlight that 1) the most "helpful" comment is incredibly negative (and mostly debated to be incorrect by people who've played, but being validated by people who haven't) and 2) in a very active comment thread on that most helpful review are comments that may be factually false and are defaming both the game and the developers in a pretty serious way (particularly the claim that people are being banned for talking about it) as a "pile on".

I'm guessing from the responses here that people are just "boys will be boys" about trolls on the internet and instead want talk about why it's great that Guild X only allows people with epicanthic folds to join their guild, but we're not gonna solve that here, it doesn't materially affect the ability for the game to exist after launch and trying to hash that out here potentially only furthers the claims in the review that MO2 is a toxic community.

I'm not for excessive thought/speech policing and at the same time, a game being known for having a "toxic community" in the gaming zeitgeist for whatever the reason greatly reduces its chance of success and greatly increases the chance for the average gamer to give it a total pass.

Guild probably said they need a pic for "authenticity". Snowflake got butt hurt and chose to hear "ethnicity".

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
1. I've never heard of any of this, but I did see that review comment and it's definitely bullshit. It's slander.
2. How do you control, in the game, what a guild or community has as requirements to join their community- when their community is not in the game? Is a GameMaster supposed to secretly infiltrate guilds and try to join to verify if they have "racist" requirements or not? As soon as you apply a bare minimum of logic to this, you realize it's not worth the time to even investigate. If a group is offending you somehow, kill them in the game, avoid them, whatever you want. Trying to police communities/ behaviors outside the game is a rabbit hole you'd be an idiot to go down.
3. Anyone who wants people to control what other people do in their own communities, outside the game, needs to focus on themselves. There's a massive difference between people who cheat, exploit, or scream racist slurs in VOIP, and people who want to limit who can join their private community. It's not your business what happens outside the game with the players.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Should I really need to tell you why?

• It’s immoral and it hurts a lot of people.
  • Some comments, especially about race, religion etc. are also illegal in many countries.
  • It hurts the player base. Many examples of that in the comments in the Steam review by MedicRabbit.
Its not immoral, but why do you think it is?
Well what if a country says its illegal to prevent them from doing such things? Like why is some random company affecting a person that does not live is such a totalitarian country.

If people are hurt thats weird, I dont see how they are physically harmed. If you are saying that speech is harm then you are harming me by saying such things.

It doesn't hurt the player base it hurts people who arent minding their own business.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021

It's not like it can get much worse than it was in MO1. But it's a pvp game so yeah it's going to be toxic. Can't imagine a pvp game that's not toxic, it's just the nature of the game, you go around killing people and taking their loot, sometimes mean words get thrown around. Yet it's still about 100x less toxic than most social media platforms so go figure.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I've seen all kinds of accusations made against just about every online game I've played at one time or another, so I'm not surprised to see such claims being levelled at SV and the MO2 community.

It is not a matter of whether or not you will encounter such morally reprehensible behaviour and speech in any online game, because you will. Just jump into any online game and you will see for yourself; you will come across good and friendly players, and the downright toxic and egregious. It is a question of if and how the company will punish such behaviour and speech. Again, the burden of proof is on those making the accusations.

I think SV just needs to put out a statement in response to such accusations. Unless the person making those accusations can provide incontrovertible proof, they will remain just that, accusations.

As for people being turned away from buying the game as a result of those accusations, there's probably not a whole lot you can do to prevent that. Some people will take another person's words at face value and base their purchasing decisions on that, while others will be sceptical and actually do their own research and buy the game irrespective of any accusations made on someone's Steam review.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I've seen all kinds of accusations made against just about every online game I've played at one time or another, so I'm not surprised to see such claims being levelled at SV and the MO2 community.

It is not a matter of whether or not you will encounter such morally reprehensible behaviour and speech in any online game, because you will. Just jump into any online game and you will see for yourself; you will come across good and friendly players, and the downright toxic and egregious. It is a question of if and how the company will punish such behaviour and speech. Again, the burden of proof is on those making the accusations.

I think SV just needs to put out a statement in response to such accusations. Unless the person making those accusations can provide incontrovertible proof, they will remain just that, accusations.

As for people being turned away from buying the game as a result of those accusations, there's probably not a whole lot you can do to prevent that. Some people will take another person's words at face value and base their purchasing decisions on that, while others will be sceptical and actually do their own research and buy the game irrespective of any accusations made on someone's Steam review.

Responding to false accusations just gives them validity. Just ignore it and move on

Reactions: Archiel

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I think SV just needs to put out a statement in response to such accusations.

Star Vault is a game development company, not a rights activist group.

If -anyone- on these forums think SV would allow you to say things clearly prohibited by their ToS in their game or in their public mediums (The forums, Discord, etc.) You are -crazy-.

Outside of that - leave it alone.

Henrik can't even communicate, as well as other members of the team on a regular basis about issues within the game. You think they need to launch a statement in response to what some random fucker put on a Steam review?

D

Dracu

What a butthurt thread... Who the fuck cares about a random steam review. It sounds funny as hell, bet most ppl look at this and just laugh, maybe even look more. If some special snowflaksa find it that believable to not get the game, then yeah those would have found other reaaons... Cause special snowflakes that get triggered like 8 yos always find reasons.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Star Vault is a game development company, not a rights activist group.

If -anyone- on these forums think SV would allow you to say things clearly prohibited by their ToS in their game or in their public mediums (The forums, Discord, etc.) You are -crazy-.

Outside of that - leave it alone.

Henrik can't even communicate, as well as other members of the team on a regular basis about issues within the game. You think they need to launch a statement in response to what some random fucker put on a Steam review?
SV doesn't need to be a rights activist group to respond to accusations. Not that they should have to respond, but they can if they choose to.

Another game development company, not a rights activist group, had responded to various accusations against it (none of which have been proven as far as I know), and even considered going to court over such accusations.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
that shit's been on there. I saw it and was like lol. It's obviously not true. Well, depends on guild, I guess? I mean, how would this guy even know about major guilds, they aren't taking some nub.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
Steam forums an community is a joke, an it thanks to the steam employed moderators. Steam moderators don't do anything to control the level of toxicity on their platform an they've even added emotes an award tools to help trolls mock an insult people without revealing themselves on top of that. The whole Steam platform is filled with man children that spout absolutely BS an form massive hate trains against anything they dislike no matter how stupid or unreasonable their argument is.

An the fact that Steam allows users to post reviews when all the person did was open the game long enough for it to register 0.1 game hours is a joke. People on steam have literally been known to buy a game than run it for 0.1 hours just so they can leave a BS spitefilled review than take advantage of steams refund system to get their money back. This has resulted in many games being review bombed for some of the stupidest reasons I've ever seen, like how one game didn't have a gender option in its character creator.

Than just look at any forum thread. There all filled with people who don't even own the game an have never played the game mass shit posting how much they hate the game an want it to fail. An I'm not even just talking about Mortal Online 2 here either, this occurs on every steam game's forums. Simple put nothing constructive is posted on the steam forums, it's just a bunch of unloved man child seeking attention there. The Steam community is the most toxic thing I've ever seen in my life they make IRL extremist look tame in comparison.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Steam forums an community is a joke, an it thanks to the steam employed moderators. Steam moderators don't do anything to control the level of toxicity on they're platform an they've even added emotes an award tools to help trolls mock an insult people without revealing themselves on top of that. The whole Steam platform is filled with man children that spout absolutely BS an form massive hate trains against anything they dislike no matter how stupid or unreasonable their argument is.

An the fact that Steam allows users to post reviews when all the person did was open the game long enough for it to register 0.1 game hours is a joke. People on steam have literally been known to buy a game than run it for 0.1 hours just so they can leave a BS spitefilled review than take advantage of steams refund system to get their money back. This has resulted in many games being review bombed for some of the stupidest reasons I've ever seen, like how one game didn't have a gender option in its character creator.

Than just look at any forum thread. There all filled with people who don't even own the game an have never played the game mass shit posting how much they hate the game an want it to fail. An I'm not even just talking about Mortal Online 2 here either, this occurs on every steam game's forums. Simple put nothing constructive is posted on the steam forums just a bunch of unloved man child seeking attention there. The Steam community is the most toxic thing I've ever seen in my life they make IRL extremist look tame in comparison.

that's why I am/was putting in work on steam MOfo but it's pretty dead now. People are trying to mess w/ it, and the wack reviews are a joke, but whatever. It could all be planned, the whole, ehh, glad u let me know! But I'll take talking w/ someone back and forth until they are like yea I'll give it a shot. lol the thing is, there aren't that many people like that there anymore, prol cuz of rampant toxicity, but it still feels good to go in and go what ya can.

Still, people have to be boosting reviews like that. Some people got griefed out of MO so hard they probably are still holding that L. haha.