Most helpful steam review comments claiming guilds require proof of ethnicity?

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Not sure if any of you check the Steam reviews for MO2 (still holding just barely at 70% Mostly Positive), but the most helpful review for the past 30 days enumerates all the reasons "you will rage quit/refund the game" by someone who played less than 7 hours:

There are 93 comments to the review, which fall into one of three camps:
  1. I haven't played the game, but thanks for warning me and saving me $40.
  2. I haven't played the game, but I played/heard about MO1 not being good and am going to use this as confirmation bias that SV is a horrible company and this game is the same and deserves to fail.
  3. I have played the game and haven't experienced anything you've mentioned/you're exaggerating.
This in itself is very interesting, how a negative review which many people who've played the game doesn't feel represents it can be voted most helpful, but what I wanted to point out is that among the 93 comments on the review are two pretty concerning ones:

Screenshot 2021-12-28 223538.png

They were both posted within 12 hours of each other, and both claim "major guilds" are requiring photo verification of ethnicity, and that GMs are being kicked and banned for notifying about it.

Hopefully people who know me on here know that I'm trying to start drama or something, I'm legitimately concerned and want to bring it to the community/SV's attention. This is a pretty serious claim and if true, requires Star Vault's action (even in a beta) and if false, is about as close to slander as I can imagine (saying the entire game is a horror/scam and needs to be removed immediately from Steam).

Anyone have any context or information about this?

• Love
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Someone made up some bullshit on the interwebs oh no!
Someone got butthurt and had a hissy fit with their keyboard, it's the age we live in, unless you want to go all Jay and Silentbob on them just forget them like their family tries to.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Someone made up some bullshit on the interwebs oh no!
Someone got butthurt and had a hissy fit with their keyboard, it's the age we live in, unless you want to go all Jay and Silentbob on them just forget them like their family tries to.

I getcha, but for a game that could very well fail to survive if people determine it's a toxic racist community that's being supported by the devs, it's a pretty risky claim that at least in California appears to be grounds for a civil suit:

"Examples of business disparagement are when:
  • A customer publishes false and malicious statements about a business on Yelp"

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I getcha, but for a game that could very well fail to survive if people determine it's a toxic racist community that's being supported by the devs, it's a pretty risky claim that at least in California appears to be grounds for a civil suit:

You can sue a company for whatever you want mate. SV could even sue you claiming they're a racist company if they wanted to. Thirdly no just because a guild is allegedly racist doesn't mean you can sue SV for descrimination lmao. Lastly it's obviously someone who hates MO and wants to get useful idiots to try and do their work for them by race baiting. I've never once seen or heard anyone say something racist in this game

Reactions: Speznat

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Also. I wont backdown and not say this.

But lets say people are really doing this. It's their guild. We as players can choose to punish them for that in-game if we like, or not care. I don't think SV should come down on them because of their edgy behavior.

I'm going to for the latter because for one I think this is just a massive bait but who cares what people are saying and how they run their guild.

Unless they are explicitly breaking the rules which are defined in the terms of service and anything else posted visible to all, then there is no issue.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular
Dec 23, 2021

Anyway community playerbase racist and toxic. I Can confirm. i have lot of proof and uncut videos about some big guild voice chat shits. And they still playing and not get banned. If that mean devs support then maybe. But that top thing is just a shittalking.

I think the game need stronger policy about out of charracter behave and stronger hand to enforce those rules.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Anyway community playerbase racist and toxic. I Can confirm. i have lot of proof and uncut videos about some big guild voice chat shits. And they still playing and not get banned. If that mean devs support then maybe. But that top thing is just a shittalking.

I think the game need stronger policy about out of charracter behave and stronger hand to enforce those rules.

Had a hard time reading that but I think I grasped what you were trying to say.

Hear me out. I'm personally not agreeing with people spewing out garbage at will - whether it's calling someone a butt head, all the way up to using racial slurs. But the problem there is that when you try to ask for moderation in what people say whether in text or VOIP you begin to breach something that I think in total should be left untouched.

Allow players to ignore others to prevent them from seeing any text from 'X' player.

Allow players to mute others from hearing their VOIP.

This problem is then instantly solved since you no longer have to hear them or read anything from them.

The only thing that should be moderated, in my opinion, are public text channels within the game. So /yell, /say, and /help.

Leave whispers, guild chat, and alliance chat (?) out of it please.

I know people want to foster this happy-go lucky community of players who don't ever say bad things, but this simply isn't the case. This isn't to say everyone says bad shit, but if I want to tell someone to go fuck themselves, I can currently.

If someone wants to talk shit to me, I'll talk shit back to them.

TL;DR

Give ignore / mute options. Moderate only public text channels. Leave everything else alone, and report the outliers (i.e. A guy just running around screaming a racial slur non-stop.)

Reactions: teddytw1209

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Weird that they never mention the name of the guild. Asking for a photo of a player is very extra and sounds like a meme.

But why the hell should I care if a guild wants to only be Philippino or Australian or a Brazilian only guild. Left them and stop being a busy body. If people want to have a Black only guild good on them, hope it works out well for them.

Ifs someone says something that you dont like, just remembers sticks and stones then move on with a mute if it really upsets you. The lack of moderation is really just a boon for the game. A lot of people just cant function tho in a uncontrolled environment and let what others say affect them.

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
Tzone Said: “Ifs someone says something that you dont like, just remembers sticks and stones then move on with a mute if it really upsets you. The lack of moderation is really just a boon for the game. A lot of people just cant function tho in a uncontrolled environment and let what others say affect them.”

This comment is among the worst I have seen in a long time… I don’t think I even need to give any comments to it. And of course, moderation is needed, and I guess there will be more focus on this now when we are getting closer to the release.

Also, you mix regional guilds who have stated this due to language difficulties or due to the time zones. And you mix it up with pure racism… you don't see the difference?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
This comment is among the worst I have seen in a long time… I don’t think I even need to give any comments to it. And of course, moderation is needed, and I guess there will be more focus on this now when we are getting closer to the release.
Why?

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Tzone Said: “Ifs someone says something that you dont like, just remembers sticks and stones then move on with a mute if it really upsets you. The lack of moderation is really just a boon for the game. A lot of people just cant function tho in a uncontrolled environment and let what others say affect them.”

Also, you mix regional guilds who have stated this due to language difficulties or due to the time zones. And you mix it up with pure racism… you don't see the difference?

Ok this makes no sense.

There has been plenty of times I've interacted with a French guild in-game that has actively given me shit because I speak English, and has told me time and time again that I am inferior because I speak English.

At the end of the day though, I don't really give a fuck. They also only recruit people who speak French and clearly dislike people who speak English.

We could go on, and on, and on, AND ON.. about people making up their own prerequisites to joining and being apart of their group. Speaking a specific language is understandable, asking for PHOTO IDENTIFICATION is not; what you didn't pick up in @Tzone comment is that he's saying he doesn't care and he also understands this is more than likely just a straight up troll slash meme that someone tried to impose on this player (Or, better yet.. don't believe everything you read / see. People make shit up for shits and giggles.)

You literally can disable VOIP, turn off help chat, and be left only to interact with /say chat. (And /guild if you're in a guild.)

If a guild told you to send a photo of yourself in, are you gonna..

A.) Make a big fuss about it and oust them.
B.) Comply and attempt to join still.
C.) Ignore the request and look elsewhere.

Most reasonable people will do C, because they'd realize they're just being messed with.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Because its extremely concerning if guilds in this community start choosing if people can join their guild or not because of ethnicity and not what they are capable of.

Reactions: Priamus

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Because its extremely concerning if guilds in this community start choosing if people can join their guild or not because of ethnicity and not what they are capable of.
Asking for a picture is cringe do doubt but why shouldnt a guild be allowed to say they only want to play with other black people because they want a black culture guild? Maybe you only want to play with Aussies because they understand what its like being aussie. Look at SLAV, a polish guild, why should they be forced to allow non polish in to their guild?

This does not affect you, stop making a issue out of a non issue.

Since they did not name the guild I sure it is also just a troll or some other woke person over reacting and making stuff up like usual.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Asking for a picture is cringe do doubt but why shouldnt a guild be allowed to say they only want to play with other black people because they want a black culture guild? Maybe you only want to play with Aussies because they understand what its like being aussie. Look at SLAV, a polish guild, why should they be forced to allow non polish in to their guild?

This does not affect you, stop making a issue out of a non issue.

Since they did not name the guild I sure it is also just a troll or some other woke person over reacting and making stuff up like usual.
I seriously doubt that SLAV is asking for a picture of the people that joins their guild. They ask if you speak polish, if not you cant join because language barrier might become an issue.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I seriously doubt that SLAV is asking for a picture of the people that joins their guild. They ask if you speak polish, if not you cant join because language barrier might become an issue.
No one is asking for a picture but still why does it mater? Is it cringe yeah but I dont have to join the hypothetical guild and probably would not if strangers asked me for a pic to join.

But you say its racist and some how is harmfull, can you elaborate on why.