Mortal Online 2 & Star Vault

Should Mortal Online 2 fully release on January 25th?

• Total voters

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Having played MO1 for many years as well as playing MO2 on / off since it's release into "alpha", I have seen the game, community, and developers go through many changes; good, bad, and somewhere in the middle.

There are some glaring problems, in my opinion, which make it worrisome that Star Vault wishes to rush their development by always shooting themselves in the foot by promising release dates.

Two recent examples of games which released earlier then they should of - New World from Amazon Game Studios, and Cyberpunk 2077 from CD Projekt RED. Both these games had many fans eagerly anticipating their releases, and pushed constantly for them to come out with their games.

Whilst Amazon Game Studios was looking to make it big in the MMO market with their new title, CD Projekt RED already had a good reputation from their most famous title The Witcher 3.

Both studios were held in high regards, either due to having the immense backing from a company like Amazon; or from previous success in other releases.

However, with both the recent news in regards to New World and watching how the release of Cyberpunk 2077 unfolded - we can garner quite easily these games were never finished, and still needed plenty of development time.

To shift focus back to Mortal Online 2 and Star Vault - we can see here that both the IP, Mortal Online, and the dev. company Star Vault AB have not had much success nor' do they have a colossal giant of a company like Amazon backing them.

This makes focusing on quality much more important, as the potential player base is going to be much smaller then other games or MMO's - especially given the nature of it being a hardcore, full loot sandbox game.

Mortal Online 2 has many glaring issues ranging from balance design, technical issues, bugs & exploits and the like. Not to mention there are still many important & key features missing from the game which I will elaborate on later.

But if we were to 'predict' with the use of information that is all publicly available to us through Google, the MO1 / MO2 forums, other forums / game post boards, and Discord - we can see that MO2 is on shaky ground as it didn't follow up a successful title.

MO1 was riddled with so many problems it would be pages-worth to explain and detail the things that soured the experience.

To list some things that worry me about MO2:

[] Missing water combat for melee players.​
[] Thievery is no where to be seen, even though it enables an entirely different playstyle.​
[] Single server. Due to a single server, we've seen the combat become balanced / made to accomadate this. We'll never know how good the combat could actually be simply because of this.​
[] Bugs of many kinds.​
[] Map & Terrain issues. (Missing parts, overlapping parts, stuck-spots, etc.)​
[] Single character slotted accounts. This will only cause more players to pay out of pocket to explore more gameplay opportunities.​
[] Lack of dev. activity on the Mortal Online 2 forums. (No threads asking about balance, player polls about changes, interactions in debates, etc.)​
[] Paying near triple A price plus a subscription fee every month. (Or more, if you wish to have more accounts; which most players who are dedicated will.)​
[] Empty promises. (i.e. A member of Star Vault, Henrik usually, promising the inclusion of a feature or the remedying of a problem - but never meeting it out.) For example as one, where are the promised combat changes which included different 'moves' such as kicks, bashes, interrupts, etc?​
[] Lack of better graphical options / no .ini editing (To fully customize your graphic settings, i.e. You can not disable shadows. You can only have them on 'Low' which makes them look awful and still present.)​
[] Optimization.​
I could go on, and don't get me wrong I don't point this all out to demean or say the game is 'bad' but it simply has a lot of issues which Star Vault and a handful of the player base think or deem such things as 'non-issues' or have moved on from these subjects entirely.

It's just a shame since the hardcore sandbox full-loot genre has essentially died out with very, very small pockets of life here and there save for a game such as "EVE Online".

Mortal Online 2 has the potential, still, to turn around and rectify a lot of the issues the previous game had and be able to really set themselves apart from other games to really attract a proper player base. Most of what I saw from popular Twitch Streamers, YouTubers, and those who vocalized their opinions in or outside of the game during high player counts shows that they all saw some raw potential waiting to be made into something really great - but could feel and see it wasn't there yet, and wouldn't be for a while.

I get players who have been around since MO1 and even those new at the beginning of the MO2 alpha want the game to release so they can finally have the assurance their progress is saved and permanent without the fear of a wipe, but the game really does need a lot of work; and if the game is successful all that entails for the dedicated players is more people to play with, interact with, trade with, ally with, fight against, etc. Politics will thrive and the game will have a healthy population.

I doubt this thread will get much attention from Star Vault, but it would be my hope that they are so ASSURED of their game it will be ready in three months time. From much of what I've seen - I can't take their word alone, and I have to see it to believe it.

Oh, and P.S. At least give us water combat before release if you guys decide to stick with January? Please? Thanks.