Mortal Online 2 NEEDS A MANUAL

Fredis Merc

May 9, 2021
Hey folks,

This is my first post here, so I apologize if I'm speaking out of turn. I bought into the beta a week or two ago, and getting into the game.

I am a 44 year old computer nerd. When I first started messing with computers around 30+ years ago, one thing always helped me learn and grow with the nascent hobby: software manuals.

I know these days most people read "guides" or watch youtube "tutorials" these days; young people especially are familiar with this way of learning software. But Mortal Online 2 is a very opaque sort of game. It isn't self explanatory. If you watch SuperBitsandBobs' intro video for Mortal Online 2 (
) this will be made completely obvious. He spends half the video trying to learn how to refine ore that he's hammered out of the ground. There's not enough internal documentation (i.e. "tutorial") in the game, so that means we NEED A GAME MANUAL (text, PFD, what have you).

This isn't the kind of game that is going to attract a huge bunch of young people. This is an old school, hardcore MMORPG. And that means we need a manual. Youtube videos can explain simple games, but this isn't simple, and some kind of reference needs to be available. Especially, this game attracts older gamers who are USED to softare manuals which we can refer to.

I know you guys are still in beta, and I know it is a small team. But PLEASE give some consideration to the users, who will need a clean, clear manual in TEXT format that we can refer to while learning the game. I know it will be an extra task, but it will pay yourselves back in dividends that may not be tangible now, but I promise you... will be worth it in the end.

Does anyone else think we need a TXT/PDF/etc manual for this game? It's a game that deserves one, and that will suffer from not having one.

Thanks again, hope someone sees this.

Fredis Merc / Greg

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I grew up pretty much in the same era as the OP, so I get what he's trying to say. I remember reading through The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall manual back in the day which was something like 90+ pages.

We do have an army of content creators and forum members who are only too happy to decipher and document all the hidden secrets and underlying workings of this great game that is Mortal Online 2.

Having said that, I'm open to a more traditional manual that we can refer to as we play. That was a skill gamers back in the 80s and 90s had to have, especially when it came to games like Sierra's Police Quest series that required you to know what penal codes to use when booking suspects. Proper police procedures for even the most menial aspects of police work, like inspecting police cruisers prior to driving them out of the station for the first time on the day.

Reactions: grendel

TwistedSister77

Apr 23, 2021
Aside from the starter city, I think a pop up message referring players to the player made vids here on the forums is probably the best and fastest way to teach the game.

Plus it can be updated with each patch. Even if the player vids are actually "dev" vids.

Requires no coding in game too, beyond the popup message. Or put it on the launcher.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Something to note here. The original game had a package where you could get a bundle of things including a printed manual.

The funny thing about that though is that the pages where blank.

Some suggest that this was to insinuate that such things are left open for the players to fill in themselves.

Fact or not, it does strongly fit how the original game seemed to have been designed.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Something to note here. The original game had a package where you could get a bundle of things including a printed manual.

The funny thing about that though is that the pages where blank.

Some suggest that this was to insinuate that such things are left open for the players to fill in themselves.

Fact or not, it does strongly fit how the original game seemed to have been designed.
I remember watching a video about that.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Hey folks,

This is my first post here, so I apologize if I'm speaking out of turn. I bought into the beta a week or two ago, and getting into the game.

I am a 44 year old computer nerd. When I first started messing with computers around 30+ years ago, one thing always helped me learn and grow with the nascent hobby: software manuals.

I know these days most people read "guides" or watch youtube "tutorials" these days; young people especially are familiar with this way of learning software. But Mortal Online 2 is a very opaque sort of game. It isn't self explanatory. If you watch SuperBitsandBobs' intro video for Mortal Online 2 (
) this will be made completely obvious. He spends half the video trying to learn how to refine ore that he's hammered out of the ground. There's not enough internal documentation (i.e. "tutorial") in the game, so that means we NEED A GAME MANUAL (text, PFD, what have you).

This isn't the kind of game that is going to attract a huge bunch of young people. This is an old school, hardcore MMORPG. And that means we need a manual. Youtube videos can explain simple games, but this isn't simple, and some kind of reference needs to be available. Especially, this game attracts older gamers who are USED to softare manuals which we can refer to.

I know you guys are still in beta, and I know it is a small team. But PLEASE give some consideration to the users, who will need a clean, clear manual in TEXT format that we can refer to while learning the game. I know it will be an extra task, but it will pay yourselves back in dividends that may not be tangible now, but I promise you... will be worth it in the end.

Does anyone else think we need a TXT/PDF/etc manual for this game? It's a game that deserves one, and that will suffer from not having one.

Thanks again, hope someone sees this.

Fredis Merc / Greg
Hi, i dont know if you have seen my channel-> https://www.youtube.com/c/WolfszeitYT/videos
I hope it helps.

But my videos are on point about the topic and msotly very short and all infos are in. Maybe it helps more. Because I also dont like hours long videos about stuff than can be explained in 5min. xD

Anyway im also glad that many people are doing these kind of videos like rhias for exmaple he made so much effort on sumarizing all nessary stuff in 1hour long video thats awesome.

Anyway Party Hard.

Cobblecat

Mar 29, 2021
Google has any amount of videos and guides to the game, all easy to find. I'm way older that you and the game gave me no trouble, but I have played a lot of survival-type games. Just look at the skill-book trees in the Library to see the prerequisites to make something or use something.

Last edited: