Mortal Online 2 for Console

FinalGirlSid

Sep 23, 2021
I searched the forum with the keywords "Xbox One" "Cross Platform" and "Console" but found no thread to the question of Will MO 2 ever be available for my XBOX One gaming system. I could get a bunch of people playing this game. I no longer use a PC and am not buying one for 2 games (there is only one other PC exclusive game I am interested in besides MO 2.)
I played MO 1 back in 2012 to 2015. I no longer use a PC.
It would be great if this game were made available for the Xbox One and had full cross platform support for a mouse and keyboard like COD Warzone does. I can play that game with a mouse and keyboard via the 2 usb ports in the back of the Xbox One. Microsoft also is about to come out with a new edge browser for the console that has 100% mouse and keyboard support.
So could it be a possibility? Lots of new players would arrive for sure!

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
It would be kinda awesome, not going to lie. But if it would happen its not in the near future.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
ports to console have bad history of dumbing down the game so that they will work on console and for the console playerbase.
Rather all the focus be put on making MO2 as great as possible for the PC players at no expense to us.

Planetside 2 killed their entire air combat playerbase when they ported by forcing on mouse acceleration for air combat because they didnt want different version to work on.
The current dev team wants to change it back but they cant find the code to reverse the change now. This is the real story as to why it remains. The person who did that code got laid off and was the last programmer from when they made their engine for PS2. Dont see this part as a issue concerning SV but I thought I would share as its funny.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
ports to console have bad history of dumbing down the game so that they will work on console and for the console playerbase.
Rather all the focus be put on making MO2 as great as possible for the PC players at no expense to us.

Planetside 2 killed their entire air combat playerbase when they ported by forcing on mouse acceleration for air combat because they didnt want different version to work on.
The current dev team wants to change it back but they cant find the code to reverse the change now. This is the real story as to why it remains. The person who did that code got laid off and was the last programmer from when they made their engine for PS2. Dont see this part as a issue concerning SV but I thought I would share as its funny.
It's not like working on a console port would draw manpower from other areas of the game development (ex. a graphics designer would not be working on a console port over... well graphics design). Rather, more people with experience in console game development would need to be hired.

Also, just because a few games in the past have poor console ports does not mean MO would suffer from the same tragedies. There are plenty of games out there with successful ports.

Reactions: FinalGirlSid

Balvrikk

Jun 30, 2020
I know nothing about ports from one platform to another but it would be pretty need. Considering that it is a "next" gen game I'm sure PS4 pros and series X's could run the game. With no real mechanical difference just with a controller (would be very awkward to play I think). Would prefer there not to be a port, at least not anytime in the near-ish future.

FinalGirlSid

Sep 23, 2021
I know nothing about ports from one platform to another but it would be pretty need. Considering that it is a "next" gen game I'm sure PS4 pros and series X's could run the game. With no real mechanical difference just with a controller (would be very awkward to play I think). Would prefer there not to be a port, at least not anytime in the near-ish future.
It could be made to work with a keyboard and mouse. There are 2 extra usb slots on the back of the Xbox One and I have a wireless mouse and keyboard that I use to play games like COD Warzone and Doom. Over 20 games can be played with a mouse and keyboard. It's up to the game developers to make it compatible. All you have to do with a controller for COD is click the A button at the start of the game where it says "click A to start". After that it can 100% be played with a keyboard and mouse.

FinalGirlSid

Sep 23, 2021
MO2 has like 40 hotbar keys and another 10 for UI and actions. Not sure how that would work on a console.

And I definitely would be against any dumbing down of the game if that were to happen.
I already answered this concern.
I'll just keep copying and pasting this for people who didn't see it the first time I wrote it:

It could be made to work with a keyboard and mouse. There are 2 extra usb slots on the back of the Xbox One and I have a wireless mouse and keyboard that I use to play games like COD Warzone and Doom. Over 20 games can be played with a mouse and keyboard. It's up to the game developers to make it compatible. All you have to do with a controller for COD is click the A button at the start of the game where it says "click A to start". After that it can 100% be played with a keyboard and mouse.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Would MO2 even run with decent frames on a console? I mean the system requirements are pretty high, and consoles (sorry to say it) are usually pretty trash.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Every console port has dumbed down the PC version. Its just a dont do it. And yest it takes dev hours to port and then maintain the console version.

Reactions: Kokolo
D

Deleted member 44

No reason why this couldn't be a thing. Unreal engine offers different platform exports during compile/export. With the Xbox being more of a PC than ever before this would only take a small effort from SV. Biggest issue would be licensing and the monthly subscription.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
It's not like working on a console port would draw manpower from other areas of the game development (ex. a graphics designer would not be working on a console port over... well graphics design). Rather, more people with experience in console game development would need to be hired.

Also, just because a few games in the past have poor console ports does not mean MO would suffer from the same tragedies. There are plenty of games out there with successful ports.
it would, the pc version or MO2 is not good, not even close to being ready to be released.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
No reason why this couldn't be a thing. Unreal engine offers different platform exports during compile/export. With the Xbox being more of a PC than ever before this would only take a small effort from SV. Biggest issue would be licensing and the monthly subscription.
"Small effort"
:LOL:
It starts with their dependencies. E.g. does the "Fur Engine" support console, or uses special graphic cards features? Or their easy anti cheat. Doesn't work on console? Too bad, then you need to "only" maintain 2 code lines.

Remembers me of my work. "Shouldn't be that much work. You can do this in an hour." and then the Side Effects bite you into your ass.

Reactions: Woody

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
"Small effort"
:LOL:
It starts with their dependencies. E.g. does the "Fur Engine" support console, or uses special graphic cards features? Or their easy anti cheat. Doesn't work on console? Too bad, then you need to "only" maintain 2 code lines.

Remembers me of my work. "Shouldn't be that much work. You can do this in an hour." and then the Side Effects bite you into your ass.
anti cheat doesnt work here at all. at least on console there are much less hackers/cheaters.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
anti cheat doesnt work here at all. at least on console there are much less hackers/cheaters.
Yeah, but then you need to make 2 different clients, code versions/lines, or how ever you call it. One with anti cheat, and one without for the console. And there might be other small differences that make the whole thing complicated.
IMHO it's a least a medium sized project, and I think they should spend the development capacity on fixing and improving the computer version.

Not saying that they should never think about a console version, but at least now they should not spend any capacity on it.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Yeah at this stage in development its dumb to spend time on console version.
Maybe later on when they have the base game in place and consistent funds coming in every month.

Reactions: Rhias

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I don't think you can just a release a game on a console that cannot be played without a keyboard and mouse. Just because it's possible doesn't mean that Xbox is just going to allow the release of a game that says "yeah, this isn't playable with your controllers". They would for sure require the devs to fix compatiblity issues and there are only so many buttons on a controller compared to a keyboard.

I don't see the game retaining the complexity it has while being ported to a console.