MO Dreamin'

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I'm about to body bag every wall of text ever put on this forum to the Najth power. Let's take a look back in time.

Imagine you are playing Mortal Online in that pretty dead, but interesting phase between when Lyks came out and when TC was introduced. Imagine you are hearing about TC. Like the first time your friend tells you (as happened to me,) about TC and what that would offer the game, and then even if you have due pessimism about their ability to execute, you kind of dream up something, and even the people who think they are hard body pvpers gotta admit that you get some nerdy thoughts about what you could and couldn't do to shape the world. Was it ever like that NO. I've actually decided this won't be a wall of text, I think I can do this in two paragraphs.

Imagine you are NOT playing Mortal online later when NO SANE PERSON WOULD CONTINUE TO PLAY THAT GAME. ROFL love yall but... :D Like you are legit playing MO after they doxxed. (gasp) Anyway, imagine you hear about them coming out with a new MO, the fabled MO2. That's like some ships soon level shit we used to talk about. What do you think this game would be like. Again, you get to dreaming about what that could mean. Less lag? Of course! More people, sure. Smooth out the world?? Ok! It's super awesome that they were able to do some of the things they did with the map imo (NOT counting the making it 5x bigger or w/e.) Let's take a sharp turn into reality here, tho. Think about the first time you played MO (well cept for early alpha people, I can't speak on that cuz I wasn't there) and think about where you thought they were going with it. Compare it to the game now, how different is the game, really, other than new shiny thing level stuff. It's like the game is LEGIT GETTING WORSE. Then you have the situation where you are stuck with that game, you have about 1000 people playing, and don't know what to do to keep your game running. I think it's simple: make the game more like MO1. Haha. I don't think anyone was like oh MO2 I bet that's gonna be LESS HARDCORE. That's the number one thing I want in MO2, LESS HARDCORE. Salty dudes.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Early MO 2 alpha really was amazing, not only did I love the scenery but I loved the combat. This was before it was turned into a clunk fest. I think I envisioned everything that was loved about MO 1 except on a larger more beautified scale. Instead we removed all fun out of the game. All classes are boring as fuck to play except for mage. Farming is not even a little bit exciting because the game was rushed and has a million dupes out there. We got people selling trinkets for literal stacks plural of gold. WTF is this. Butchery was OP but we the community asked for that shit so I don't fault them for that one, but nevertheless its trash.

Basically I warned them about all of this, death by a 1000 cuts. Home boy didn't listen. You got what you deserved.

Reactions: Bicorps

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Early MO 2 alpha really was amazing, not only did I love the scenery but I loved the combat. This was before it was turned into a clunk fest. I think I envisioned everything that was loved about MO 1 except on a larger more beautified scale.

Yea... well, I think people get a bit caught up. It's hard to see things as they are, especially when MO was such a 'commercial failure.' They came out trying to make MO2 popular hue. But, really, I don't think they knew what to keep and what not to keep, and whoever was speaking to them in the initial stage... like the whole rep system thing... I dunno how all that happened.

The theory seemed to be if they can just protect people long enough, they will play, but my theory is you are gonna quit now or later haha. I mean like I said I quit MO1 multiple times just from boredom. It's good for months of fun tho then it's like ehh time for a break. But I mean apparently people are still getting farmed out of the game (which is super luls I wonder where they are,) so nothing really changed. It sucks that steam page is a bunch of people whining, but like I said check other reviews. ALSO in an ideal world it would have other reviews like yea but the combat system (if it was good!) is amazing, skill, open world, crafting... all the things you could mention about MO1 that aren't as good anymore. I just don't understand it.

I wish they would just roll back to a certain point and be like hodeup. "We got kinda carried away!"

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
I'm about to body bag every wall of text ever put on this forum to the Najth power. Let's take a look back in time.
Pffft... Brother, I just wall of texted so hard the forum literally told me I had to edit my bullshit down to even post it.

Emdash said:
Yea... well, I think people get a bit caught up. It's hard to see things as they are, especially when MO was such a 'commercial failure.' They came out trying to make MO2 popular hue. But, really, I don't think they knew what to keep and what not to keep, and whoever was speaking to them in the initial stage... like the whole rep system thing... I dunno how all that happened.
Personally, I don't think the game is in such bad shape that it's unsalvageable. It's definitely concerning that certain flaws are seemingly not getting any attention while new content is being pumped out instead. I don't think the new content is necessarily 'bad', just kind of hard to fathom why they prioritize it over more fundamental stuff.

My dream would be:
1. Rework pvp system into something that creates venues for pvp beyond murder, preferably ditch rep or rework it heavily, more grey priests, beef up grey towns... At least flesh out the current system so it is not such an arbitrary nightmare. And, if you can't figure anything out that isn't an arbitrary nightmare, just switch back to a UO flag system and cut your losses. The absence of rep is better than the rep system as it is currently. If the mechanic is too complicated to flesh-out, just scrap it. If this is the mechanic working as intended, scrap it. Seriously, UO style blue/grey/red without the res-walk/parcel-delivery 'tedium' punishments for criminals would be worlds better than what we have now.

2. Implement placeholder skills & clade gifts,( but also points of interest, etc.etc.,) so things can actually begin to be balanced. For example, finish implementing archery so it can begin to be balanced against melee & magic; implement all clade-gifts so we can at least have a full picture of where each clade stands in practice. Finish implementing materials you have placeholder skills in for, fleshing out points of interest on the map, etc. Basically, finish making the core 'vanilla' experience of the game; as of now, technically we are 6 months after launch and so many basic things are left unimplemented that you'd swear it was still early-access.

3. Implement sieging/TC. Once you have the game finished & a core PvP system that doesn't stink to high-heaven, begin working on some 'end-game' PvP content for the hardcore guilds to squabble over. I'm sure something like this would do more to stop griefing than making people run parcel deliveries ever could.

4. Implement necromancy and other new content that will be in a buggy phase and still need to be balanced etc. Now that the core of the game is finished, it will be easier to balance 1 thing against an actual complete system vs. 1 thing against many theoretical but incomplete ones.

TC would be at the top of my list, since it's a 'core aspect', but there are other even more essential things that are not fully or properly implemented atm imo.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Wyndorn

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Personally, I don't think the game is in such bad shape that it's unsalvageable.
Unfortunately I disagree. I think its fubar. Only a re-release and wipe can save it if it want to ever be more successful than the average MO1 population. I doubt Henrik will fund MO2 with his own money this time too.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Unfortunately I disagree. I think its fubar. Only a re-release and wipe can save it if it want to ever be more successful than the average MO1 population. I doubt Henrik will fund MO2 with his own money this time too.

that's BASICALLY it, maybe not exactly true; the definitive truth, as I see it, is that they will not move BACKWARDS and remove content, thus, I cannot see a path, keeping what they have and what they are continually wanting to add (I mean, it's obvious that they have a game in there somewhere, it's the weird choices or directions they are taking that are making people quit imo, and the fact that they don't seem to think they are doing wrong.)

So in a perfect world, it's possible to salvage the game, but the necessary steps won't be taken, and that's even assuming the devs think the game needs to be fixed lol. A lot of obstacles for such a young game w/ a very fickle audience outside of its core.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
that's BASICALLY it, maybe not exactly true; the definitive truth, as I see it, is that they will not move BACKWARDS and remove content, thus, I cannot see a path, keeping what they have and what they are continually wanting to add (I mean, it's obvious that they have a game in there somewhere, it's the weird choices or directions they are taking that are making people quit imo, and the fact that they don't seem to think they are doing wrong.)

So in a perfect world, it's possible to salvage the game, but the necessary steps won't be taken, and that's even assuming the devs think the game needs to be fixed lol. A lot of obstacles for such a young game w/ a very fickle audience outside of its core.
The dumb thing is, a lot of us played MO1 for years and years. We thought with the announcement of MO2 it would be amazing and just a better version of MO1 in every way. They had the opportunity to start over and build the game from the ground up. For people who didn't play MO1, I can understand how they aren't too bothered by it and are willing to wait.

But we waited that long in MO1 for content, and then we get MO2, which is basically just an engine upgrade with MUCH less content, and a lot of what we do have is just copy/paste. The announced upcoming content is also shit we've already seen in MO1 (necromancy, sarducca, etc). It was a massive missed opportunity for them to not rebuild the game world to actually be new and interesting, instead of old Myrland. Why not even get us one of the new continents instead, and come back with Myrland later on? Idk.

After the new-ness wore off, which was a few weeks, I felt like I jumped into a time machine when I was sitting outside of Fab waiting for sometimes hours to get a meaningless fight. That 5 minute dopamine hit after hours and hours of boringness.

There are of course things with MO2 that are a massive upgrade over MO1...but personally I can't be fucked to wait years again for a decent game. Its really annoying too, because I was really needing this MMO fix. Maybe they can pull something out of their asses and get a lot of us interested again, though seeing the stacks of gold being passed around for trinkets like its pennies, makes me not even care. The game is utterly fucked.

Reactions: Amelia

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The dumb thing is, a lot of us played MO1 for years and years. We thought with the announcement of MO2 it would be amazing and just a better version of MO1 in every way. They had the opportunity to start over and build the game from the ground up. For people who didn't play MO1, I can understand how they aren't too bothered by it and are willing to wait.

But we waited that long in MO1 for content, and then we get MO2, which is basically just an engine upgrade with MUCH less content, and a lot of what we do have is just copy/paste. The announced upcoming content is also shit we've already seen in MO1 (necromancy, sarducca, etc). It was a massive missed opportunity for them to not rebuild the game world to actually be new and interesting, instead of old Myrland. Why not even get us one of the new continents instead, and come back with Myrland later on? Idk.

After the new-ness wore off, which was a few weeks, I felt like I jumped into a time machine when I was sitting outside of Fab waiting for sometimes hours to get a meaningless fight. That 5 minute dopamine hit after hours and hours of boringness.

There are of course things with MO2 that are a massive upgrade over MO1...but personally I can't be fucked to wait years again for a decent game. Its really annoying too, because I was really needing this MMO fix. Maybe they can pull something out of their asses and get a lot of us interested again, though seeing the stacks of gold being passed around for trinkets like its pennies, makes me not even care. The game is utterly fucked.

Yeah, I mean when I came in @ stress test trial for MO2, I didn't even know they took out soph cooking or content, I was just like whee MO, it's running better, too! 40 buxxx, ok!

But yea basically if they REDID THE MAP, MADE THE GAME WORK BETTER W/ LAG, and REMOVED A LOT OF EXPLOITS, it would be pretty good... if it was just like MO1.

Maybe we just got old hehhh. Nah I am older, as said, but I'm still about the same in terms of desire to get down on srs stuff. Maybe a bit less time overall, but I def want a game to go in on. MO1 was def a go in game. I didn't even expect it to be new and shiny and all. I just expected a bit better MO. People like LOL THIS IS JUST MO1 REMASTERED. It's like... if that was the case I'd prol roll with it. The problem is that they are adding stuff that seems easy to add, not adding necessary stuff, and just basically reversing the game by adding end game content... imagine necromancy before siege. ripppp.

I wasn't here @ Mo1 launch so that's one thing. Maybe MO1 was this trash at launch. I bet it wasn't. MO2 is fine on every level as a game IMO except for the fact... it sucks. lol. The lag is a bit wack, the bugs are a bit wack, but it WORKS. It's playable, def, if the game was good. MO1 was like aiyeee, but MO2 has some appeal, honestly. Sure it's later, and the graphics are still way behind, but if you look at MO1, you realize how janky that shit was, at least graphics and gameplay wise (to Americans.) They actually made that part OK but they made the game so unbearably bad and lacking content that it's just like ehhh. I know a lot of people feel more or less the same way, but I don't think we all agree on why.

It's just empty. It's hard to agree on what's missing, but most people would agree something is missing.

But I'm not bullshitting in saying that this game legit griefed me. Way more than MO1. Like dudes in MO1 who were doing sieges while the server was getting DDOS'd, that's prol the level of grief release put on me. I had plans, too, yknow, we all did. haha. SV underestimates the number of vets (this is in my mind, but I bet it's true) who just skated off at release. I know some of my friends did. It's like ohhh nooo, I'm dunnn. But yea, waiting for them to fix it or whatever is not something I wanna do, either. It's still somehow fun to write about it. I'd play it if they just fixed a few things. I might even play MO1. If they put up a test server, I might just derp around there.

MO2 is trash because there is no strife. MO1 had no strife eras, due to whatever... sometimes stuff like massive gains, tc... sarducca. When people get focused on just stacking to where they don't even care about pvp. I feel like MO2 was in that at some point and now that people have pretty much gotten what they need, it's just blank space.

D

Dracu

Since everybody drops walls of text ill mkae it short.

Alpha was great, game got worse indeed
Community was better
Combat was better

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i'm willing to guess that their server code is a pile of junk. maybe its because it was written back when they had no idea what they were doing pre-mo1 release. maybe its because they inherited the code from whatever atlas project epic china was developing and maybe the codebase for that was garbage. whatever the case, their server code is likely unmaintainable and noone in SV really understands it.

they may have had to rework a lot of the client side code to fit the new engine but its clear that the server code was more-or-less unchanged since all the same bugs from mo1 still exist. SV had an enormous opportunity to fix a lot of their broken implementation, but decided to squander it and copy-paste instead. perhaps this was their solution to fit tight deadlines but then they need go back and fix the bugs, which they never do (at least, not completely).

They claim domination is broken because compiler optimizations are being too aggressive and breaking things, but if thats *really* the case (and i have my doubts) then they need to dial back the optimization settings to something that doesnt break the code.

consider that core systems like inventory have *never* worked right, and are super jank when using house chests or when the system lags (server or client). all the old systems should probably be roto-rooted and redone in a maintainable way.

honestly henrik needs to bust out sean murray powers and do the equivelant of the 'engoodening of no man's sky' on mo2. leaving serious bugs in core systems is just going to keep festering in the code and eventually the giant tower of bandaids thats been built will topple. spend time now and fix things.

-barcode

Reactions: Icegoten

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
imagine if they didnt make the map for 100k players when they cant even fit 1k

imagine if they didnt slow down the combat with their retarded ping normalization and actually released regional servers so we can play without lag issues and good combat on par with mordhau/chivalry/mount & blade

imagine if they didnt allow everyone to dupe/hack at launch making gold basically useless.

imagine if they didnt make pets even more retarded than mo1

imagine if they actually fixed aimbot guards and AI in general

honestly I dont see how the game will ever be good, its all downhill from here.

they gonna add new broken content on top of broken content, sieging is gonna suck just like mo1 since Henrique already confirmed you can use guards to defend so have fun getting aimbotted and /guarded for 10 hours again

• Love

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Finally veteran start to speak up... I like it.
I was so tired to see people sucking off SV instead of giving them HONEST Feedback so we can progress in the right way.(Even if its too late )

They keep listening to the wrong people again and again... its quite awkward... and when a vet tell henrik his tough the vet is alwaysssss wrong ... I just dont get it...

Personally I had 100x more fun in Beta.. even if i was totally against having a huge map like this and im still against it at 100%. its simple... all they had to do is make 6 continent instead of making myrland 6x bigger... 6 continent host on different server ( even some could have be NA server). Launch would have NEVER fail with that map/server design. yes the entire map would have been the same size but the distance between City/Camp/Content would have been way shorter.

To be honest there is too much wrong thing about the game that it start to be useless to talk about it. I dont care much about bug and shit like this... if the game is bad from the get go. They keep making change and it get worst patch after patch.

I need explanation about why Veteran Community is almost always agreeing together about what MO should be but SV is always on the opposite saying that we are wrong. Its all about money maybe ?

lil finish with.... MO1 was wayyyyyyy better.... even with 175player online

PS: I just want to add.... where is all the promising content for launch ? " We have a bunch of content on the side for launch". Game launched and we had nothing more... bunch of lyer ? im pretty sure everyone remember that henrik statement.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I'm a massive doom and gloomer so while I was hoping MO2 would completely clap and be the best game I've ever played, I fully expected unfinished garbage. There was a few moments in MO2's life tho that I really had expectations. During beta a couple months before launch when the pop was good, there was a short phase of patching often, with good balance changes. Combat felt pretty good. They added towns and stuff, and the game was starting to feel like MO1 but looks way less shitty and more modern. And then they flushed it all down the toilet, with awful standing changes, no balance work, and wasting dev time on useless garbage. Then I fully remembered what game I'm playing, and then after a while stopped.

unknown.png

Also, what a joke. today is first day sub 900 peak. We have a 4x bigger world to fit the 'massive' pop the game was supposed to have. Now its just unplayable. We needed MO1's map, then its at least fun down to like 150 players.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I need explanation about why Veteran Community is almost always agreeing together about what MO should be but SV is always on the opposite saying that we are wrong. Its all about money maybe ?

I think it could be a few things. One is they might think that people who are so dedicated will stay anyway and want to expand their base. I think they have proved themselves wrong on that theory. There seems to be a simple debate (or maybe I'm clueless?) which separates MOST vets who are upset from Henrik and other people who might like MO2 or feel it improved on MO1: one camp (vets) believes they should have gone back to a certain time in MO history before they FUCKED THE WHOLE GAME UP and start over w/ new tech. MO2 was literally like THE WIPE WE WAITED FOR. haha. All gone at launch, un fucking believable really.

Then the other camp is to move on... solo spider queen, nah, duo, well maybe... now?? World bosses. Make the game more like MMORPGs, but why? If they made the crafting super deep and interesting, it would at least be something, but it's lacking on both sides except for their desire to introduce content that cheapens the game... like trinkets.

Even the SV supporters are like ehhhh now. I believed for awhile, maybe momentary insanity, that if I kept posting they would actually listen. I put in work here! Even w/ dudes acting like I can't say shit. I think if people read what I was saying it makes more sense than dudes think, esp now.

Also: the big world isn't bad, it's just that it's big AND empty. haha. If there was content, close camps, etc, Giving the world up for TC to fill is a bad idea, IMO, all of the TC 'cities' I saw were a super eyesore. It's basically like "there's no way they would release a game this unfinished, they got this..." then it's like launch and flatline.

Then after all that you shut down alts because people are hard duping. PEOPLE ARE HARD DUPING. After all these years, they still don't have that under control. TBH, that's the 1 reason, not bugs or anything, that I didn't really take MO that srs. It wasn't bugs, it was exploits.

That being said, there is nothing preventing MO from having what we want. It's always gonna be weird w/ lag, but they could fix the game to work and be playable. I mean, for how stuff goes, the game is still super laggy. Dudes are right tho beta wasn't laggy. BETA.

Make a x100 test sever SV!!