Meaningful PvP vs Tedious PvP

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I've been thinking about it a lot and I think the game needs more meaningful pvp in it such as sieges and world bosses. By meaningful pvp I mean when you win something good happens. You get a keep. You get to kill the world boss. You get a lot of loot. I feel like right now a lot of PVP in the game is tedious pvp. Like someone goes out in 1g worth of bone armor and tries to pull a fast one on you while you're crushing ore or mining or whatever. Maybe you're fighting a bandit and they come up behind you. Then if you win you get like nothing because they have crap armor that you cant resell or they win and you die and you lose your crap armor but now you have to waste 40 minutes getting another horse, etc. So in general I hope the next focus is adding more meaningful pvp encounters. Like I said sieges and world bosses are big ones. Could also add something similar to hell gates from albion online where players do like 5v5 and fight for loot I think would be sweet. I know some people hate the idea but IMO fun is fun and games shouldn't limit themselves on trying to be 100% purist. Anyway yeah I hope they add that because graveyard skirmishes and having people try to snipe you out and rag on you gets old fairly fast. Game really needs epic battles and epic battle require epic stakes

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I dislike the idea of meaningful pvp because it seems gated. Seems like you would have been into MO1 when meaningful pvp was knocking down people's walls. I don't want that level. I'm cool if there is that kind of stuff going on in the background, but I just wanna be able to mess around. Main thing I wanna know is that people are open to pvp. Nobody wants to die and lose their stuff, but some people are like ah well or... shit! And other people are like UNINSTALL or "I WAS TRYING SO HARD TO DO (this thing) and I have no interest in pvp."

I think small scale is by far the best pvp, organic smallscale. Whether it's foot or mounted, just stuff that develops, minor grudge match level. The world is expansive w/ rocks and hills and trees so there's a large amount of area to chase around and such. It's impossible IMO to simulate that w/ a 5v5 arena like environment, but I don't disagree with having arena stuff tho, cuz some people enjoy that. I want people to be able to do whatever they wanna do, but in the same vein, I'd like to do what I wanna do, yknow?

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
There does need to be more to fight over. And the more to fight over the less people will just ride around ganking. Because it will be better to hold or fight over a spot.

I think small scale is by far the best pvp, organic smallscale. Whether it's foot or mounted, just stuff that develops, minor grudge match level. The world is expansive w/ rocks and hills and trees so there's a large amount of area to chase around and such. It's impossible IMO to simulate that w/ a 5v5 arena like environment, but I don't disagree with having arena stuff tho, cuz some people enjoy that. I want people to be able to do whatever they wanna do, but in the same vein, I'd like to do what I wanna do, yknow?
I also prefer small scale but this is why we need things for big groups to fight over. Lowers the chance that when u get a 2v2, 20 more show up to zerg you. Because they may all be busy fighting over something somewhere else.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
yes fun is fun and hell gates were not :/
We can hope they learned from MO1 and make gate fighting not garbage. If they open the gate to run in you should be able to run in behind them kill them and re open the gate to get out. They shouldn't want to risk letting enemies n their base.

Sadly there's very few cases where SV actually learned from MO1 so I expect a full copy paste of MO1 tc but with modified unreal store models.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
youll probably see much more meaningful pvp when it territory control stuff gets added.

Some meaningful pvp might seem meaningful for a player but non meaningful to the defender. For example your guild might be KoS to a guild for some actions of another player in your guild so for the attacking guild there fighting somone the is KoS while defender doesnt even know there on a KOS list, would like to see a war dec system in the future where you can PK warring guilds with your guild and not loose reputation. (Town guard will attack you if upk in there city though)

feeWAIVER

Feb 5, 2022
Pvp feels like a big zerg fest and a complete waste of time.

I meaningfully logged out after getting 4v1'd for the 100th time last night. It was actually 8v1 but only 4 could meaningfully land a hit.

I'll be meaningfully playing something else tonight.

Reactions: korteks and Pipars

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022
I dislike the idea of meaningful pvp because it seems gated.

If it wasn't gated (by SV) then you'd not dislike the idea so much?

I'm not going to suggest what I'm about to say for MO as it wouldn't fit the feel.

If guilds could hire NPC miners and then they could focus on protecting those NPC mining rocks in the world... While also doing a little PvE (butchery stockpile)... Potential resources could be raided and not just a few stacks but a multiple miners worth... While the zerg will always be beneficial, not all guilds are large enough to do such tactics and smaller guilds can have conflicts creating smaller scale meaningful battles.

As I said though, this is not a suggestion for MO, more of a concept of mechanics which can encourage meaningful encounters.

We can hope they learned from MO1 and make gate fighting not garbage. If they open the gate to run in you should be able to run in behind them kill them and re open the gate to get out. They shouldn't want to risk letting enemies n their base.

Sadly there's very few cases where SV actually learned from MO1 so I expect a full copy paste of MO1 tc but with modified unreal store models.

I hope SV have taken notes and learnt from MO1. At least they have made it so non-combat chars can do combat now, they have made some progress and I want to remain hopeful... But I know SV and I know it is just hope.

Keeping my fingers crossed that TC has had a lot of thought. Guild mechanics and alliance mechanics in place for TC. Reputation and TC work well together. Benefits for owning land without making it OP and driving others away... Balance :)

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
I've been thinking about it a lot and I think the game needs more meaningful pvp in it such as sieges and world bosses. By meaningful pvp I mean when you win something good happens. You get a keep. You get to kill the world boss. You get a lot of loot. I feel like right now a lot of PVP in the game is tedious pvp. Like someone goes out in 1g worth of bone armor and tries to pull a fast one on you while you're crushing ore or mining or whatever. Maybe you're fighting a bandit and they come up behind you. Then if you win you get like nothing because they have crap armor that you cant resell or they win and you die and you lose your crap armor but now you have to waste 40 minutes getting another horse, etc. So in general I hope the next focus is adding more meaningful pvp encounters. Like I said sieges and world bosses are big ones. Could also add something similar to hell gates from albion online where players do like 5v5 and fight for loot I think would be sweet. I know some people hate the idea but IMO fun is fun and games shouldn't limit themselves on trying to be 100% purist. Anyway yeah I hope they add that because graveyard skirmishes and having people try to snipe you out and rag on you gets old fairly fast. Game really needs epic battles and epic battle require epic stakes
you mean you want a loot drop, lol.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
There does need to be more to fight over. And the more to fight over the less people will just ride around ganking. Because it will be better to hold or fight over a spot.

I also prefer small scale but this is why we need things for big groups to fight over. Lowers the chance that when u get a 2v2, 20 more show up to zerg you. Because they may all be busy fighting over something somewhere else.
thats all the large guilds like to do in the first place, most of them are allied and only attack smaller guilds.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
What is "meaningful" pvp? It is probably different for everyone you ask. For me it is around guild politics and territory control. But for others it is about locking down some random farm spot. For others it is roams getting your guilds name out there. For others it is for the memes.