Making Tower Shields more heavy is not enogh to properly balance them

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Every tank use tower Shields ! Ether they could cost 100 primaries or make equipment damage much higher, so they only reduce 50 % of the damage, if they are not crafted from steel. Also make the player using them slower would be an option. Just making the shield more heavy is not real nerf !
They should not be allowed to be used on horse. A cronite Armor and Towershield makes you
invincible as Fatmage vs mounted Archers if you run away.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Even if they weigh like 10-15kg? If that's true, then there is something fundamentally flawed (duh rite) with MO that needs to be fixed BEFORE things like tower shields are added. In concept, more things are good, but you are right, people should be slower and possibly even turn more slowly wearing them, so that people could get behind you. But I have no problem with someone who wants to run a tank build in MO haha. More power to them. If they wanna put 30kg in armor with mola + an op tower shield blessem.

Edit: ORR they could make shields like tower shield based on a predetermined hitbox, damage level, and eq hit damage level (based on area/angle?) and make the mats involved only have to do with weight and dura, and give the mid to shit level mats shit dura so you get some blocks then your stuff just crumbles. - shrug -

Last edited:
Reactions: Anabolic Man

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Yesterday i started a conversation in the stream with some of the best veteran Players from Nightfall and over 350 Viewers !

Most people i ask say that they hate the meta and some of the best Players deleated their Thursar, because they are so op.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yesterday i started a conversation in the stream with some of the best veteran Players from Nightfall and over 350 Viewers !

Most people i ask say that they hate the meta and some of the best Players deleated their Thursar, because they are so op.
Everyone hates the meta. Lesse vid.

After watching: I don't understand why we can't get the game changed. It seems like they are hellbent on inserting certain things into the game, by suggestion or whatever, without regard to balance. I mean IT DOESN'T SEEM, been that way, but heh...

I still would like to see shields start taking dmg and breaking tho. That sounds like a logical start. Make a big fight into something way more complex, end up throwing away your shield after you get it cracked open, but it can help you front line and survive the initial blood frenzy. MO needs more thought / situational builds... and less 'just do this.' All of this stuff can stay if they just make it a PART of the game and not overlapping into others, IMO at least.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Everyone hates the meta. Lesse vid.

After watching: I don't understand why we can't get the game changed. It seems like they are hellbent on inserting certain things into the game, by suggestion or whatever, without regard to balance. I mean IT DOESN'T SEEM, been that way, but heh...

I still would like to see shields start taking dmg and breaking tho. That sounds like a logical start. Make a big fight into something way more complex, end up throwing away your shield after you get it cracked open, but it can help you front line and survive the initial blood frenzy. MO needs more thought / situational builds... and less 'just do this.' All of this stuff can stay if they just make it a PART of the game and not overlapping into others, IMO at least.
A weapon ability to knock the shield out of a player's hand would also be conceivable. So the shield spawns in a loot bag.
There are simply no real counters like an explosion arrows that knockdown a shield user and destoy his shield. XD

Shields made of wood cost next to nothing. When these break, each player would simply take 4-5 shields with them.
That the worn armor also plays a role in damage when you get an equipment hit is just not right. This reduces 95% of damage taken, even though it doesn't block players.
If you were to say that the shield gives you 10% more defense than if you were only wearing armor and were hit by a sword, I could understand that.
If you only get 2-3 damage from an equipment hit means shields are broken !

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I think the most obvious improvement to this system (outside of reducing the shields size and increasing weights/adding str requirements) is a secondary durability stat that is reduced by receiving equipment hits. E.g. basic scenario, shield has 100 of this value and each equipment hit reduces it by 10. So after 10 equipment hits, the shield cracks, making it unequipable - but not destroyed. Instead it's repairable. Make it possible to repair a shield while out in the field but make the repair take 20seconds with some kind of consumable so that it doesn't occur in combat. Side note, this encourages shield users not to rely on equipment hits and actually parry/block the correct direction - as to not receive an equipment hit.

Reactions: Anabolic Man

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
A weapon ability to knock the shield out of a player's hand would also be conceivable. So the shield spawns in a loot bag.
There are simply no real counters like an explosion arrows that knockdown a shield user and destoy his shield. XD

Shields made of wood cost next to nothing. When these break, each player would simply take 4-5 shields with them.
That the worn armor also plays a role in damage when you get an equipment hit is just not right. This reduces 95% of damage taken, even though it doesn't block players.
If you were to say that the shield gives you 10% more defense than if you were only wearing armor and were hit by a sword, I could understand that.
If you only get 2-3 damage from an equipment hit means shields are broken !

I don't think the disarming thing is coming to MO. There aren't counters, but they make you more bulky which is a big thing in a lot of content. If you're gonna go into a siege or whatever, you'd probably wanna start out with a shield even if you dumped it to go 2h later once shit got less populated. I think that's fine, and people would run into an issue of inventory weight eventually if the shields were weighted as they should be, for balance sake more than realism.

Edit: and not advocating for the damage mitigation of them, just saying that's how they should work. They should be heavy and they should break. Shields break. Shields are like some 1 battle shitz I think? They don't need to be hyperrealistic like that, but in MO they can just snap up. Wood shield should block like 5 hits haha. Then it's just crunch.

Plus I'm a bum and I don't spec blocking. I imagine people with blocking get a good use out of it as well, that kinda IS the shield skill haha. It's just they have an even more ridic... 100% of the damage usually, mitigation on PARRY.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
Bro Tower shields are good how the were when they weighed 4kg!
The way to beat tower shields is to not use sword meta.
You use a real mans weapon like a 2h axe or hammer and then see how useless a tower shield is.
The only reason people are crying about them is bc Swords and daggers are dog shit against them bc they have 0 blunt damage.
Also think when They add weapon mastery and shield smash abilities, If they just make them heavy nobody is ever going to use them.
Henrik talks about "We can not make huge balance changes with out all the mechanics in" but this is a huge game changing balance. Like why are they willing to nurf tower shields 3x if they go through with this. But will not add in a Common sense mechanic that heavy armor makes you slower. Or at the very least if you want to be a fking nerd and say "You can run in heavy armor" Then link that dumb fuck video of that guy running in plate. Just re watch the video. He is not running at his max possible speed, and he is also not able to swing his sword. So at the very least they should make it so if you are in plate or laminated armor u should not be able to run and swing.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
agree, mauls and axes are enough to open in two midgets with tower shields. not to mentions u can just magebomb them.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
agree, mauls and axes are enough to open in two midgets with tower shields. not to mentions u can just magebomb them.
I myself play a weakspot dagger build with a tower shield and would nerf my own character with my suggestion. But I don't care, the fun of the game is more important and daggers will be buffed in the future with the poison update.

The problem is that everyone using shields. They are overused when 10 from 15 "Footies" in a battle use this shields and if "everyone" play dwarf.
In MO1 the Lionshield was op, becuase the Lionshield was a rare drop and not craftable.
In big fights you keep hitting the shield and it doesn't feel satisfying. Just seeing heavy weapons on the battlefield isn't a solution either, and axes aren't that much fun to play either, since there's no medium attack. That's another problem. It would need a two-handed ax with a spearhead that have a good piercing attack. The Warhammer has a spearhead, but does almost no damage with the medium attack. I don't like that because it makes the weapon more "boring" to play.

l3052_600_2_3.jpg

The tower shields in connection with the magic reflect change have changed the PVP to the negative.
https://mortalonline2.com/forums/th...attles-completely-and-this-in-a-bad-way.9177/

Last edited:

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
I myself play a weakspot dagger build with a tower shield and would nerf my own character with my suggestion. But I don't care, the fun of the game is more important and daggers will be buffed in the future with the poison update.

The problem is that everyone using shields. They are overused when 10 from 15 Players in a battle use this shields and if "everyone" play dwarf.
In MO1 it was kinda "balanced", becuase the Lionshield was a rare drop and not craftable.
In big fights you keep hitting the shield and it doesn't feel satisfying. Just seeing heavy weapons on the battlefield isn't a solution either, and axes aren't that much fun to play either, since there's no medium attack. That's another problem. It would need a two-handed ax with a spearhead that have a good piercing attack. The Warhammer has a spearhead, but does almost no damage with the medium attack. I don't like that because it makes the weapon more "boring" to play.

View attachment 5414

The tower shields in connection with the magic reflect change have changed the PVP to the negative. https://mortalonline2.com/forums/th...attles-completely-and-this-in-a-bad-way.9177/
You must use big shields in battles! however,, my suggestions is to nerf shields made of animal materials or bones. they are too good.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You must use big shields in battles! however,, my suggestions is to nerf shields made of animal materials or bones. they are too good.

Doods need to listen to me. lol I am super annoying, prol, I know. PEEP THE IDEAS THO. Wood shield, relatively same weight, chance of break each hit and after a few hits it's fubar. Animat shield, low tier animat... I mean, I might even go as far as to spec shields like real armor. IMO Armor is broken when it comes to... plate armors made of stuff like scales AND lite armors made of stuff like carapace. It's just not meant to calc that way, should be locked. Same with tower shields, you should need to be able to build a shield that is actually gonna stay together. Teeth n horns n shit it's like oke... maybe vs something other than an actual weapon.

Then make it so, more or less, the only difference in shield is range of protection, dura, and wt. All shields have a x percent chance to break on hit. Not arrows, but real wep hits. Get the economy working more. Nothing wrong w/ the idea, but people holding them for long battles and deflecting major hits is like hehh.

A shield is a shield. Run the dmg check against chest armor and let the equipment hit be just another mitigation, til it inevitably breaks. The best best shield should be something you can go into battle and it probably won't break. If people wanna fill up their inv with tower shields haha. Good on em. Just make em weighted right.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
Doods need to listen to me. lol I am super annoying, prol, I know. PEEP THE IDEAS THO. Wood shield, relatively same weight, chance of break each hit and after a few hits it's fubar. Animat shield, low tier animat... I mean, I might even go as far as to spec shields like real armor. IMO Armor is broken when it comes to... plate armors made of stuff like scales AND lite armors made of stuff like carapace. It's just not meant to calc that way, should be locked. Same with tower shields, you should need to be able to build a shield that is actually gonna stay together. Teeth n horns n shit it's like oke... maybe vs something other than an actual weapon.

Then make it so, more or less, the only difference in shield is range of protection, dura, and wt. All shields have a x percent chance to break on hit. Not arrows, but real wep hits. Get the economy working more. Nothing wrong w/ the idea, but people holding them for long battles and deflecting major hits is like hehh.

A shield is a shield. Run the dmg check against chest armor and let the equipment hit be just another mitigation, til it inevitably breaks. The best best shield should be something you can go into battle and it probably won't break. If people wanna fill up their inv with tower shields haha. Good on em. Just make em weighted right.
yeah..cheap wood shields should last like flake weapons, something around 100durab, ironwood steel ones 400/600.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
In my opinion, tower shields should only serve the purpose of defending oneself as a foot soldier against a mounted archer in combination with a throwing Javelin or something liek that or to protect the engineer of the Siege wapons with a shield wall from the hail of arrows. So as a situation-related piece of equipment that everyone should have in their pocket, but don't want to have equipped all the time. It should slow down players. Normal shields should not.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
In my opinion, tower shields should only serve the purpose of defending oneself as a foot soldier against a mounted archer in combination with a throwing Javelin or something liek that or to protect the engineer of the Siege wapons with a shield wall from the hail of arrows. So as a situation-related piece of equipment that everyone should have in their pocket, but don't want to have equipped all the time. It should slow down players. Normal shields should not.
Pavise shields

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
Why would shields slow down a play but not armor? Its condescending. To say this and not the other. Also I think if they want to nurf tower shields so fucking hard, they should get rid of equipment hits. (Meaning the player takes absolutely no damage, Unless its with a blunt weapon.) If you hit a sword or dagger, arrow. you would not take any damage what so ever with a good shield. So IMO Buff tower shields to only do bleed damage with blunt weapons.
"Well when i hit the shield with my sword it will push it against the guys head causing blunt damage." If they are going to make shields weigh 10+ KG you are not going to move that shield with enough force to cause damage from impact. And shields are also padded, weaking the effect of hitting ones self with it.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Why would shields slow down a play but not armor? Its condescending. To say this and not the other. Also I think if they want to nurf tower shields so fucking hard, they should get rid of equipment hits. (Meaning the player takes absolutely no damage, Unless its with a blunt weapon.) If you hit a sword or dagger, arrow. you would not take any damage what so ever with a good shield. So IMO Buff tower shields to only do bleed damage with blunt weapons.
"Well when i hit the shield with my sword it will push it against the guys head causing blunt damage." If they are going to make shields weigh 10+ KG you are not going to move that shield with enough force to cause damage from impact. And shields are also padded, weaking the effect of hitting ones self with it.
A tower shield does prevent you from not being able to getting hit with a small alvarian or ogmir. You get hit for 3 damage. In heavy armor you still get hit for some damage. I think there need to be a buff fprmedium armor. Compared to heavy armor the medium armor is underpowered. i think the defencive of heavy armor is too strong. Especially for steel tungsteel and Oghnium. I think their armor values should be reduced by 10 and medium armor by 4-5.

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
A tower shield does prevent you from not being able to getting hit with a small alvarian or ogmir. You get hit for 3 damage. In heavy armor you still get hit for some damage. I think there need to be a buff fprmedium armor. Compared to heavy armor the medium armor is underpowered. i think the defencive of heavy armor is too strong. Especially for steel tungsteel and Oghnium. I think their armor values should be reduced by 10 and medium armor by 4-5.
To buff medium and light armor, all they have to do is make Plate and laminated slow down your max speed. Nobody will ever wear Medium and light armor as a foot fighter unless there is a reason to do so. EX: Keeping your max movement speed.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
This forces groups to incorporate mages, not just for healing, but to deal with shield turtles.

Not sure it will work, but the the idea is quite radicala and intriguing.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Can we get another nerf ? Making the char slower ? The Tower Shields should be situational. I was naked in a fight with a Towershield. Got handelhits and the arrows not hit me. I survived. We outnumbered the opponent but damn this shield is still broken ! i still could deal quite some damage and survived !