Make secondarie(s) under Survival skill to craft in the wilderness

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
The survival skill in its current state is a disappointment. All it does is swimming. You take it so you can touch water or you don't take it and hope your enemy doesnt touch water. It should do more. And that should be making it so you can do more things you can do in other survival games. What do you need to survive in the wilderness? Bandages. Gear. I'd say food but you can get that already.

Note: This wouldnt remove the need for the crafting skills, it would just make it so you can use your current crafting skills without a bench. So a max armor crafter could still only craft armor. But someone who wanted a wilderness build could fit basic armor and weapon crafting to make gear in the wild.

I'm not saying make it so you can extract and make cronite in the wilderness. But you can currently skin a pig or other animal out in the wild and get materials, but you cant use them. You should be able to craft basic low end gear with the survival skill. Animal materials armor and weapons, basic self bows, ect.

And they can give it cons too if they want. Make it take 30% more material or something. Then theres no reason to use this inside a town when you can use a bench. But this would add a whole another aspect to the game. Wilderness survival, living without towns or tc. Would be really cool additional playstyle that the game currently doesnt offer in any way.

Gronil

Sep 2, 2020
They could also make it so you can make campfires and place them outside town with survival. Tho this would probably require some material cost so people didn't spam them all over the place. I don't really see any reason people shouldn't be able to make basic gear at increased cost or possibly reduced stats in the wild.

It would also make death a bit less punishing on new players if they die in the wild or have their gear break in the middle of no where, if they could just make like a light armor out of fullgrain leather and a bone club or self bow. Maybe even let people make bone arrows in the wild that aren't amazing but can get the job done in basic scenarios.

As it is Survival is a pretty useless skill and I'm not really sure why it's only a parent to swimming.

Northern Rooster

Apr 7, 2021
I was just thinking about this, I really wish there was a sort of survival aspect to MO where you could like go and get a sharp rock and make a pickaxe on the go etc. or craft really crap weapons on the go even but respect that this then becomes complicated when you have like 50 naked people go start smashing towers etc.

Reactions: Jatix and Gronil

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I like it. They could actually make it so you can only use the materials you can actually get with the skinning knife which would further balance it so people aren't running the better animal materials you need a butcher bench to get out to their camp crafting station

Reactions: Jatix

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I like it. They could actually make it so you can only use the materials you can actually get with the skinning knife which would further balance it so people aren't running the better animal materials you need a butcher bench to get out to their camp crafting station
I feel like you should get molarium and stuff without a table, but just get trash amounts, making it worth using a table for anything good. but I would still be happy with current skinning knife only materials, and like wood. A bonus idea, maybe tier 1 rock materials, if they made it so you could badly crush without a crusher for like 50% material. then you could make flake spears and stuff in the wild.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I, for one, like the fact that this isn't one of those silly survival games. It is supposed to function as a facsimile world. Being able to craft in the wild without a workbench breaks that a bit.

They could also make it so you can make campfires and place them outside town with survival.
We could build a campfire in the wild in MO1 even without survival skill.

Gronil

Sep 2, 2020
I, for one, like the fact that this isn't one of those silly survival games. It is supposed to function as a facsimile world. Being able to craft in the wild without a workbench breaks that a bit.

We could build a campfire in the wild in MO1 even without survival skill.
Last time I checked you can attach some sharp bone to a stick without needing advanced tools lol. Like obviously you wouldn't be making a katana in the woods but you also wouldn't be making a katana out of teeth IRL either. That's never stopped me from making a weapon and armor out of teeth in MO tho. I don't really think allowing people to make low end weapons and armor without a bench in the wild with some caveats makes MO any more like survival games than it already is.

I know you could place the campfires from the vendor, but I mean like have the ability to make a campfire from scratch with some mined rocks and wood. It's kind of stupid you need a utility vendor in town to sell you something as basic as a campfire. Unless there was just a way to craft campfires in MO1 I didn't know about.

Reactions: Jatix

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Last time I checked you can attach some sharp bone to a stick without needing advanced tools lol. Like obviously you wouldn't be making a katana in the woods but you also wouldn't be making a katana out of teeth IRL either. That's never stopped me from making a weapon and armor out of teeth in MO tho. I don't really think allowing people to make low end weapons and armor without a bench in the wild with some caveats makes MO any more like survival games than it already is.

I know you could place the campfires from the vendor, but I mean like have the ability to make a campfire from scratch with some mined rocks and wood. It's kind of stupid you need a utility vendor in town to sell you something as basic as a campfire. Unless there was just a way to craft campfires in MO1 I didn't know about.
You could build a campfire by combining ore and wood. I can't remember what year they added the ability, but it wasn't always in game.

If you are going to speak about the real world, my point would be something like, once we developed the processes of smithing we no longer used bones for clubs, even though we technically still could, because they are mostly not effective. Anything we make without tools is unlikely to be able to kill an animal or partially armored bandit in game, either.
Using real world examples always break down when talking about the game. In life we never get to respawn and rarely find ourselves naked in the woods. :)

Edit: added. Also, the role you are wanting to fill is already covered in my thinking by worn short swords and in MO2, torches.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
You could build a campfire by combining ore and wood. I can't remember what year they added the ability, but it wasn't always in game.

If you are going to speak about the real world, my point would be something like, once we developed the processes of smithing we no longer used bones for clubs, even though we technically still could, because they are mostly not effective. Anything we make without tools is unlikely to be able to kill an animal or partially armored bandit in game, either.
Using real world examples always break down when talking about the game. In life we never get to respawn and rarely find ourselves naked in the woods. :)

Edit: added. Also, the role you are wanting to fill is already covered in my thinking by worn short swords and in MO2, torches.
Primative humans hunted mammoth with sharp sticks, with optional stones on them. Sounds very capable of killing an animal to me haha. And worn shortsword is extremely bad, its not even comparable to a bone tissue sword. Which is much worse then flake or anything someone would want to actually use. So for anyone who wants any fighting chance who wants to live out in the wild, needs even basic crafting. And like leather light armor is still waaay better than naked but still much worse than plate.

Reactions: Amadman and Gronil

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
If we are doing something for nomadic guilds what I'd really like is the ability to set up a temp crafter facility. Like yurts with facilities as good as the ones found in towns. Equerries too. Destructible but about as difficult to tear down as a house once they are up. Basically mini-towns that we can move around fairly easily but vulnerable during the set up and moving phases and decay faster if you keep them in one spot for a super long time.

That being said, I'd put it as a pretty low priority. I would implement it AFTER boats and wagons. I'd also make it so you can use them as logout points and people logged out log back in wherever the camp is if it gets moved while they are logged out.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Primative humans hunted mammoth with sharp sticks, with optional stones on them. Sounds very capable of killing an animal to me haha. And worn shortsword is extremely bad, its not even comparable to a bone tissue sword. Which is much worse then flake or anything someone would want to actually use. So for anyone who wants any fighting chance who wants to live out in the wild, needs even basic crafting. And like leather light armor is still waaay better than naked but still much worse than plate.
Yes, but they spent a lot of time and used tools to make those weapons, and often traded for the materials from very far away. They didn't just pick up a stick and tie a rock to it. Also, not everyone made their own weapons, there were professional crafters.

Gronil

Sep 2, 2020
Yes, but they spent a lot of time and used tools to make those weapons, and often traded for the materials from very far away. They didn't just pick up a stick and tie a rock to it. Also, not everyone made their own weapons, there were professional crafters.
Not everyone will be able to make them? He said in the initial post it would require you to have the crafting primaries, then on top of that take survival which is an extra action primary. Like I’m an armor crafter so I flat out can’t make weapons, the only way this would effect me is if I could make basic shit tier leather armor without a bench.

Edit: Now that you mention it I think I do remember being able to make campfires I just forgot it was a thing at some point probably after taking a break from MO. Still a good feature tho I hope it comes back in some capacity, tied to survival or not.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Not everyone will be able to make them? He said in the initial post it would require you to have the crafting primaries, then on top of that take survival which is an extra action primary. Like I’m an armor crafter so I flat out can’t make weapons, the only way this would effect me is if I could make basic shit tier leather armor without a bench.
Granted. You avoided my main point, though. Neither weapon nor clothing making was a casual process that was done in the field. So that leaves us at whether the game should break from reality for the purpose of balance or etc. and my opinion is no, it should not. I understand that you have a different opinion, no worries.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I would like to see more things like this in game for sure.

It will not be good for pvp of coarse but low tier stuff could give you a better chance against wildlife than being naked.

Henrik said we will be able to craft arrows this time around. Hopefully bandages will be included in the idea of everything being craftable as well.

Reactions: Gronil and Jatix

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I would like to see more things like this in game for sure.

It will not be good for pvp of coarse but low tier stuff could give you a better chance against wildlife than being naked.

Henrik said we will be able to craft arrows this time around. Hopefully bandages will be included in the idea of everything being craftable as well.
I hope that arrows and bandages never become only craftable, though. That would be an annoying bottleneck.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
I like the idea but it would have to be very limited, mainly to just gathering tools. It would make places like cave camp and other towns that you cannot buy pickaxes more viable.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I like the idea but it would have to be very limited, mainly to just gathering tools. It would make places like cave camp and other towns that you cannot buy pickaxes more viable.
Why not make places like cave camp livable with also crafting? Why only pickaxes? Its a camp, should someone be able to actually live there? Like I say it can be nerfed crafting. I'm not asking for people to be able to extract and make steel no benches with no cons. But I see no reason for someone to not be able to craft at a disadvantage without benches (on a character with the required crafting skills). similar to skinning knife.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
Why not make places like cave camp livable with also crafting? Why only pickaxes? Its a camp, should someone be able to actually live there? Like I say it can be nerfed crafting. I'm not asking for people to be able to extract and make steel no benches with no cons. But I see no reason for someone to not be able to craft at a disadvantage without benches (on a character with the required crafting skills). similar to skinning knife.

Cave camp being close to a large amount of gabore is probably the reason it is very basic. The place requires people to put in some extra work with TC(when its added) for a larger reward vs other areas.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I hope that arrows and bandages never become only craftable, though. That would be an annoying bottleneck.

If it was just as easy to buy it off the broker as it is off a vendor npc then what would be the difference for the end user?

I am a strong believer that such roles should be left for players to fill in a game like this.

High in demand items are exactly what the economy needs. Why waste that opportunity by having an npc fill it?

Reactions: Iuhrn and Gronil