Mages Waaaaaay Too Strong in Water

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Not sure what they were thinking with this design, but mages become deities in water, and it isn't fair.

Archery in water? Nerfed by realism.

Heavy armor in water? Nerfed by realism.

Magic in water? No nerfs "iz magic!!!! yay! it can do anything!".

This approach doesn't work and leads to massive unfairness.

Magic is not really magic... It is more like transmutation; where you're trading your ingredients for the resulting spell. So i ask, how are they using these ingredients when under water? How are they shooting fireballs and lightening out of the water? As soon as they open their ingredient satchel or whatever, these powders would be gone.

"But they're using magic to protect it from the water blah blah".

This is exactly what i mean. "Magic can do anything", but it also gives the devs a free pass to be sloppy with it's implementation. Magic seems to just ignore all realism, like it operates on a separate plane. Fireballs and lightning in water.. I mean, really guys??

"It's magic lightning/fire!"

You can't hit everything else with the realism nerf bat, and then just give magic a free pass on everything without creating serious balance issues. The devs are cutting corners here.

So what would be a fair and quick compromise?

No casting under water.

If they're going to cast, make it so it has to be on the surface of the water, same with firing the spell. That way, they're not just immune to archery unless they're focused on running away. A fair compromise. To attack, they must put themselves at risk too be attack. It is also just more realistic, how are they using ingredients underwater? It makes no sense. Especially with necromancy, where they're pouring blood and stuff.. It just isn't fair, and makes no sense.

Swimming underwater should just be an evasive tactic, not something that lets you shield yourself from literally everything, except other magic; meanwhile you can fire out of it from complete safety.. Oh, and mages know other mages aren't a threat when you can just spam magic barrier and swim away.

Also.. hitscan magic on someone in the water is ridiculous. If i shoot a spell at someone in the water, it should impact the water, not the person under it. JUST like arrows do. Stop playing favourites when mages are already the best class on the game.

Basically, the only thing that has any real chance is another mage. This is a class that is already one of the most broken on the game i might add; it is seriously annoying that they are massively amplified by being in water too.

Fairness please.

Last edited:

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Not sure what they were thinking with this design, but mages become deities in water, and it isn't fair.

Archery in water? Nerfed by realism.

Heavy armor in water? Nerfed by realism.

Magic in water? No nerfs "iz magic!!!! yay! it can do anything!".

This approach doesn't work and leads to massive unfairness.

Magic is not really magic... It is more like transmutation; where you're trading your ingredients for the resulting spell. So i ask, how are they using these ingredients when under water? How are they shooting fireballs and lightening out of the water? As soon as they open their ingredient satchel or whatever, these powders would be gone.

"But they're using magic to protect it from the water blah blah".

This is exactly what i mean. "Magic can do anything", but it also gives the devs a free pass to be sloppy with it's implementation. Magic seems to just ignore all realism, like it operates on a separate plane. Fireballs and lightning in water.. I mean, really guys??

"It's magic lightning/fire!"

You can't hit everything else with the realism nerf bat, and then just give magic a free pass on everything without creating serious balance issues. The devs are cutting corners here.

So what would be a fair and quick compromise?

No casting under water.

If they're going to cast, make it so it has to be on the surface of the water, same with firing the spell. That way, they're not just immune to archery unless they're focused on running away. A fair compromise. To attack, they must put themselves at risk too be attack. It is also just more realistic, how are they using ingredients underwater? It makes no sense. Especially with necromancy, where they're pouring blood and stuff.. It just isn't fair, and makes no sense.

Swimming underwater should just be an evasive tactic, not something that lets you shield yourself from literally everything, except other magic; meanwhile you can fire out of it from complete safety.. Oh, and mages know other mages aren't a threat when you can just spam magic barrier and swim away.

Also.. hitscan magic on someone in the water is ridiculous. If i shoot a spell at someone in the water, it should impact the water, not the person under it. JUST like arrows do. Stop playing favourites when mages are already the best class on the game.

Basically, the only thing that has any real chance is another mage. This is a class that is already one of the most broken on the game i might add; it is seriously annoying that they are massively amplified by being in water too.

Fairness please.
Sounds like you just need to learn the vortex tactic. Makes you almost impossible to hit with any spells. It’s very similar to being a ballerina ff on land except in the water you can spin a complete 10 foot circle in a split second.

Also, maybe don’t use ‘realism’ and ‘magic’ in the same sentence lol

Reactions: Rahz and Xunila

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Sounds like you just need to learn the vortex tactic. Makes you almost impossible to hit with any spells. It’s very similar to being a ballerina ff on land except in the water you can spin a complete 10 foot circle in a split second.

Also, maybe don’t use ‘realism’ and ‘magic’ in the same sentence lol
I take it this was sarcasm. "Vortex tactic" .. If you're jumping around and spinning, you're a loser. This is a videogame, not the Olympics. If you're employing those levels of sweat to a game, you have your priorities wrong. Games are for fun. If all you find fun about a videogame is winning? You're insecure. The game itself, the process of playing it, should be comfortable, enjoyable; if the only joy you get out of it is spinning around like some disgusting neckbeard sweat, just so you have an advantage, your life is a mess.

Yes, let's allow magic to do fucking anything "It's magic fire!". Are you stupid or something? BALANCE. Hello??? It uses ingredients. How are you using ingredients in water?? How is a necromancer squeezing fluid in their hands when they're under water... THINK.

I get it, i can see from your little picture you're one of these loser mages who will pretend everything their role does is fair, you're not fair, you're broken. You need to be nerfed in the water. Stop with this cringe "vortex" nonsense like it is a real thing. Henrik said they're working on fixing spinning anyway, so it is non-issue.

Last edited:

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
I take it this was sarcasm. "Vortex tactic" .. If you're jumping around and spinning, you're a loser. This is a videogame, not the Olympics. If you're employing those levels of sweat to a game, you have your priorities wrong. Games are for fun. If all you find fun about a videogame is winning? You're insecure. The game itself, the process of playing it, should be comfortable, enjoyable; if the only joy you get out of it is spinning around like some disgusting neckbeard sweat, just so you have an advantage, your life is a mess.

Yes, let's allow magic to do fucking anything "It's magic fire!". Are you stupid or something? BALANCE. Hello??? It uses ingredients. How are you using ingredients in water?? How is a necromancer squeezing fluid in their hands when they're under water... THINK.

I get it, i can see from your little picture you're one of these loser mages who will pretend everything their role does is fair, you're not fair, you're broken. You need to be nerfed in the water. Stop with this cringe "vortex" nonsense like it is a real thing. Henrik said they're working on fixing spinning anyway, so it is non-issue.
Okay bud. You’re a real big man, I get it. 😂 Go touch grass or something.