Mages - Rough Spot am I insane or just a bad take.

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
Fulmination does not give you much in the way of clade credit, so you have to slap a thunderlash, outburst or a thunder on a mob to get full participation. Kiting a bandit even if you do 90% of the damage with fulmination if a warrior slaps the bandit once he gets over half of the clade. Not sure why but alright.

Spells have limited range, but mounted I cannot maneuver while casting even on ground, but a horse archer can. Fair enough spells are hit scan from what I can tell however its rough for me to swallow this as your spell casting is half speed, and again all it takes is 1-3 arrows with full concentration to interrupt my spell casting. I cannot bob and weave while casting.

Human mage, Cleric got a nerf, a shadow nerf but still a nerf. When it increased your total armor count it started calculating your over encumbrance at 6kilo this allowed you to wear even heavier armor with less impact I thought it would be fun to test it and found that if I took my helm off I could wear heavy armor with roughly 68% regen it was pretty bad light armor but still infinitely better than medium armor in stats since it started calculating at 6kilos, and it got nerfed to 4kilo calc and I suspect it will get nerfed again to calc to 2kilo so going over now impacts your casting by a higher degree as its more punishing now so paladins sadge day. Since I would have to sac a fair bit of Primary points to get heavy armor as a mage anyway, so I guess this Reverse paladin Idea I had is dead. Rip heavy armor healers.

My STR is already low but higher than other mages and I have to carry regents I'm not comfortable with less than 500 calamine+water and 200 Sulfar/Nitre along with 100 Ichor/Rockoil already in a rough spot not accounting for cuprum and Coal. I have barely any carrying capacity for materials when out farming with people, this is fine but it adds up.

Mage Higher Archy - I've already been told by a few people to kill myself for playing Human Mage and not going Fat Mage, oddly enough no Dex mages have sassed me good on you flying jumping crazy people you. Why is the community so hellbent on sticking to confined meta's rather than letting people just do what they want? I'm not going to stop doing what I do because a few assholes roll around and complain about me being subpar as a mage (110 int and 102 Psy) I thought I was pretty alright stats wise.

Scribe Book - I will refrain from boring you with my loathing nature of trying to level scribe with scrolls as any mages with scribe are locked behind the Que boss as of right now, without a scribe I'm kind of SoL as I cannot even get fulmination flamestrike thunderlash greaterheal all spells I have in my bank but have no way to gain access to them.

I want to play as a healer, but I also want to be able to survive PVE content I'm not the best player and went with a human I like the look of them more, Didn't even know Cleric would be a thing. I thought humans would be a good middle ground from playing Dex mage and Fat Mage. However, with how little I can actually do on my own should I bite the bullet and reroll a warrior giving up my healing or wait out the ques and pray that after people can consistently get on that I wont have to go out on my own. (I'm the type of player who goes with people to heal for anything but when alone I want to just farm on my own.)

Is mage good and I've not reached that point, are these just the hurdles mages have to deal with before being powerful? Does the dev team play test mage?

Disclaimer; I know we got domination but I'm very likely not going to be able to do what I am doing + Spiritism if I add it to my build, and I know we are getting other schools that I will need to heavily consider swapping over to (Staffs and Necromancy for one) I have all my mage skills at 100, Mounted Magery, Mental Offense, Concentration ect...

Conclusions.
Clade farming is rough, Not able to solo a single bandit without sweating bullets, getting higher tier spells is painful atm, Low carry weight, Meta-Cheeswheels, Paper thin armor, Cleric Nerf, Horse Archery questionable value.

Am I Insane, giving a bad take or is mage just in a rough spot? What can feasibly be done to help mage.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Fulmination does not give you much in the way of clade credit, so you have to slap a thunderlash, outburst or a thunder on a mob to get full participation. Kiting a bandit even if you do 90% of the damage with fulmination if a warrior slaps the bandit once he gets over half of the clade. Not sure why but alright.

Spells have limited range, but mounted I cannot maneuver while casting even on ground, but a horse archer can. Fair enough spells are hit scan from what I can tell however its rough for me to swallow this as your spell casting is half speed, and again all it takes is 1-3 arrows with full concentration to interrupt my spell casting. I cannot bob and weave while casting.

Human mage, Cleric got a nerf, a shadow nerf but still a nerf. When it increased your total armor count it started calculating your over encumbrance at 6kilo this allowed you to wear even heavier armor with less impact I thought it would be fun to test it and found that if I took my helm off I could wear heavy armor with roughly 68% regen it was pretty bad light armor but still infinitely better than medium armor in stats since it started calculating at 6kilos, and it got nerfed to 4kilo calc and I suspect it will get nerfed again to calc to 2kilo so going over now impacts your casting by a higher degree as its more punishing now so paladins sadge day. Since I would have to sac a fair bit of Primary points to get heavy armor as a mage anyway, so I guess this Reverse paladin Idea I had is dead. Rip heavy armor healers.

My STR is already low but higher than other mages and I have to carry regents I'm not comfortable with less than 500 calamine+water and 200 Sulfar/Nitre along with 100 Ichor/Rockoil already in a rough spot not accounting for cuprum and Coal. I have barely any carrying capacity for materials when out farming with people, this is fine but it adds up.

Mage Higher Archy - I've already been told by a few people to kill myself for playing Human Mage and not going Fat Mage, oddly enough no Dex mages have sassed me good on you flying jumping crazy people you. Why is the community so hellbent on sticking to confined meta's rather than letting people just do what they want? I'm not going to stop doing what I do because a few assholes roll around and complain about me being subpar as a mage (110 int and 102 Psy) I thought I was pretty alright stats wise.

Scribe Book - I will refrain from boring you with my loathing nature of trying to level scribe with scrolls as any mages with scribe are locked behind the Que boss as of right now, without a scribe I'm kind of SoL as I cannot even get fulmination flamestrike thunderlash greaterheal all spells I have in my bank but have no way to gain access to them.

I want to play as a healer, but I also want to be able to survive PVE content I'm not the best player and went with a human I like the look of them more, Didn't even know Cleric would be a thing. I thought humans would be a good middle ground from playing Dex mage and Fat Mage. However, with how little I can actually do on my own should I bite the bullet and reroll a warrior giving up my healing or wait out the ques and pray that after people can consistently get on that I wont have to go out on my own. (I'm the type of player who goes with people to heal for anything but when alone I want to just farm on my own.)

Is mage good and I've not reached that point, are these just the hurdles mages have to deal with before being powerful? Does the dev team play test mage?

Disclaimer; I know we got domination but I'm very likely not going to be able to do what I am doing + Spiritism if I add it to my build, and I know we are getting other schools that I will need to heavily consider swapping over to (Staffs and Necromancy for one) I have all my mage skills at 100, Mounted Magery, Mental Offense, Concentration ect...

Conclusions.
Clade farming is rough, Not able to solo a single bandit without sweating bullets, getting higher tier spells is painful atm, Low carry weight, Meta-Cheeswheels, Paper thin armor, Cleric Nerf, Horse Archery questionable value.

Am I Insane, giving a bad take or is mage just in a rough spot? What can feasibly be done to help mage.
You're correct that it is rough. I think the clade experience distribution needs to be reevaluated for sure.

The issue here at the core is that magery is supposed to be a support / side role in this game, at least the Ecumenical school, according to Henrik (CEO). So any arguments for it being more self sufficient in terms of PvE tend to fall to the shade. I have made many, as have others.

They like to say "other magic schools will make this better!". That takes months though.

The end conclusion is: don't play a pure casting mage without a pet, if you intend on doing PvE alone. You need at least a dagger.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
There are soooo many threads complaining about the rough state of mages. Just scan through the forum.

I have to disagree though with your Exp share. In my experience we were 3 mages and a footfighter. The FF would seldomly get the Exp the mages get, if any at all. I still haven't figured out how the Exp is distributed.

I have played extensively with mage builds during the beta, and I will stand by the statement that Humans make the best mounted fat mages.

Sacrificing all the other stats to max Int to 130s is a mistake, I believe. Every Int point above 100 gives less and less damage bonus. (I do play a 138 Int mage, but I'm a stubborn sucker for proving SV wrong for nerfing fat mages)

My guild, the Darkblood Order, is a magic orientated guild and we have many many human dex mages. And not just noobs, experienced players.

Are they good? Good in what sense? Good at PvE? No. At 1vX? No. At 1v1? very rarely. Group fights? Yes. Crafting? Yes. Beastmastery? Yes.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
I've been an advocate for them to really improve the class for a long time, and it's good to see that the New players see the same thing i've been seeing for over a year, something really needs to be done, but Henrik has a few trolls in his ear that want the class in the worst place possible and have got what they asked him for

keep sending him Dms and Asking him for changes during the Q&A streams so he knows the ones actually playing the class can see that it needs a lot of love, not to wait for other magic schools @Henrik Nyström @Sebastian Persson

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Kyllike

Jan 30, 2022
mage was insanely easy to level. Solo bandits in haven easier than melee and have an easier time reading books to up skills from high int.
I do not believe you need to improve the magus at all, just keep adding more spells and the previewed content.
PVE - you are doing it wrong if you aren't out-damaging the melee
PVP - stop rolling fat mage. It isn't for you. Dex mage should be able to deal with most threats.
138 int mage? links or gtfo(/s)

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
As a mage for PvE, you have three options right now, until other more aggressive magic schools are added.
1 - Taming/Domination to have a pet do most of the damage and tank.
2 - Be a dagger mage.
3 - Be both 1 & 2.

Reactions: Belegar

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
mage was insanely easy to level. Solo bandits in haven easier than melee and have an easier time reading books to up skills from high int.
I do not believe you need to improve the magus at all, just keep adding more spells and the previewed content.
PVE - you are doing it wrong if you aren't out-damaging the melee
PVP - stop rolling fat mage. It isn't for you. Dex mage should be able to deal with most threats.
138 int mage? links or gtfo(/s)

There is NO WAY, Dex or Fat mage, that you can kill bandits faster than a Foot Fighter. (Beast Mage being close, but not there)

The fact that you dont even know there are 138 Int mages, makes me certain you know very little about mages.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 11

Kyllike

Jan 30, 2022
There is NO WAY, Dex or Fat mage, that you can kill bandits faster than a Foot Fighter. (Beast Mage being close, but not there)

The fact that you dont even know there are 138 Int mages, makes me certain you know very little about mages.

the /s is for sarcasm, I am sorry you cant kill things faster than foot fighters with your build.

Feb 4, 2022
San Diego, CA

Honestly, girl, Jenny Craig is your best friend and that's all I'm gonna say.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Mages have always had a hard time in this game. Both pvp and pve. Its by design otherwise everyone would just make mages. There would be little point in being a melee and having to deal with blocking, and armour, and expenses of good metals, etc.

So yea mages have little investments but have it altogether tougher.

malumsomnium

Jan 27, 2022
Hum I am leveling a dex mage sheevra in haven still, and i constantly have it rough , I even tougth of rerolling a human mage/tamer , but has the time pass i got a lowsy bear and i'am actually having fun with a bear and a dagger build with nukes.

The only thing i would probablly switch (whould love a second slot) is to a human mage or ogmit to try their armour clades, they seem to me OP, i really am a noobie so maybe when the quenue desapears I will have more hardships but hey :D

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
FULM+flamestrike is basically a insta wombo combo for the bandits. That's about 5 seconds spent casting, kills a bandit and doesnt really aggro them until the fulm triggers or when you get in close for the flamestrike. Does the trick on lower level casters as well, but that sort of depends on you having cleared camp and dealing with respawns.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
FULM+flamestrike is basically a insta wombo combo for the bandits. That's about 5 seconds spent casting, kills a bandit and doesnt really aggro them until the fulm triggers or when you get in close for the flamestrike. Does the trick on lower level casters as well, but that sort of depends on you having cleared camp and dealing with respawns.
You prob havent played mage since early beta Bandits now heal as soon as they are hit and it pops twice, so they outheal most of your damage. and that's not to say not many mages have those spells now it's just outburst

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
You prob havent played mage since early beta Bandits now heal as soon as they are hit and it pops twice, so they outheal most of your damage. and that's not to say not many mages have those spells now it's just outburst
Uh, you do realize fulm+flamestrike combo will hit them before they properly aggro and they wont even try to heal? With either being a mind hit, it will be a "one shot" combo.

And sure, if you haven't bothered getting scrolls you wont have good damage, shocker. People who havent bothered getting proper weapons don't do any either.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Uh, you do realize fulm+flamestrike combo will hit them before they properly aggro and they wont even try to heal? With either being a mind hit, it will be a "one shot" combo.

And sure, if you haven't bothered getting scrolls you wont have good damage, shocker. People who havent bothered getting proper weapons don't do any either.
You can craft good weapons, you need to kill bandits to get scrolls, or buy them off the ah.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021

that's a great on paper concept that doest work in games and the Mob HP is way higher than two spells, you havent been doing that i can tell here, i'll show you proof in video form

i dare you to try to walk up to a bandit and try your combo... record it... and post it

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
that's a great on paper concept that doest work in games and the Mob HP is way higher than two spells, you havent been doing that i can tell here, i'll show you proof in video form

i dare you to try to walk up to a bandit and try your combo... record it... and post it

Thank you for this.

Anyone that says mages are just as good at PvE is nuts.

The only viable competitor is maybe a tamer mage, and that is a much harder investment. And even then you are worse off, because it will take ages to get to the PvE spots as you can't ride a horse.

Hum I am leveling a dex mage sheevra in haven still, and i constantly have it rough , I even tougth of rerolling a human mage/tamer , but has the time pass i got a lowsy bear and i'am actually having fun with a bear and a dagger build with nukes.

The only thing i would probablly switch (whould love a second slot) is to a human mage or ogmit to try their armour clades, they seem to me OP, i really am a noobie so maybe when the quenue desapears I will have more hardships but hey :D

Dex mage is the meta mage, hands down. Running away and avoiding the hit is much better defence than mediumarmour will give you. Medium, because you want some semblance of mana regen.

• Love
Reactions: AssassinOTL

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020

48 damage fulmination?
101 int mage?
Not maxed mounted magery, sitting on a horse?

Yeah, you are just trolling at this point.

Ignored