Let Me Change My Face/Hair/Tattoo Already! MY GOD!

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
I'm sorry but, if you think the ability to change your character's appearance after creation isn't important to people, or something minor; you're very VERY wrong. I'll explain why.

Most mainstream MMOs go to great lengths to now make sure people have options to change their appearance.

Mortal Online 2 has you invest countless hours of grind into building up a character. The only way you can then change the look of this character, is outright deletion and remaking them.

People get bored, or they notice imperfections with their character they may want to correct.

You invest so much into your character, but you are cursed to notice imperfections or grow bored of their appearance. That is simply human nature. So what happens?

They can't delete their character because they've put too much time in, but they also can't change their appearance. So players end up stuck playing as this character they no longer really want to play anymore because maybe now they have the wrong haircut/face/tattoo. In an RPG game, this is a HUGE problem since the character IS the centrepiece of the experience.

So what do they do when they fall into this inevitable trap? They either quit the game, or play the game begrudgingly, and don't enjoy it as much anymore; which usually leads to quitting.

I'd be nearly everyone playing has fallen into this trap at some point. Some feel it worse than others. Some can keep playing and care more about gameplay, some are so bothered by it ruins their experience.

REMEMBER... This is an RPG. Your character is the CENTRE of the experience of this game, so it makes sense why dissatisfaction with one's character would lead to quitting the game, as it is integral to it.

MANY MMOs now make sure their customers have plenty of ways to change their character's appearance AFTER creation. The more fair ones let them do it for free or for minimal ingame currency. They understand how important it is.

Am i asking for a race change?? NO. I'm asking for us to be able to change any exclusively superficial aspects of the character at our leisure. Similar to games like WoW, where you have a barber shop that lets you change your hair/face/accessories ETC.

Oh, and don't be annoying and go "Well, we want it to be realistic so we'll only let you change your hair". NO, that won't fix it. Anything superficial that doesn't impact stats should be changeable. We have magic in the world, we have height potions. Let us change our face as freely as our tattoo or hairstyles.

Also, RIP the people who chose muddy face paint and can't even wipe their face. Eternally stuck with mud smeared on their face. I can't even imagine..

Also put thievery in the game, this is getting ridiculous.

Reactions: CherryKush

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
"we are adding barbers.. and stuff" - Henrik, pre launch (not a real quote)
They just have their priorities all wrong.

There is no way pet armor should've been in the game before basics like this, and thievery, which is an entire archtype.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You should get a few full rerolls while keeping your skills / clade. No reason if you build a shit char that you should have to reroll from zero.

The issue you speak of is also something people feel with their race / attributtes. You gotta spend so much money on weight food or height food, age food... if you fucked up, you should get a chance to fix it. At least a few times, maybe someone wants to try a new race, or something, too. What is the downside? Exploitation? How?

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
This functionality already exist in the game. The method/blueprint just needs to be exposed to the player through item use. This is 5 minutes of work tops and could be patched into the game very easily.
I agree 100%, no one knows why these simple things are never done. My guess is only Farmer Joe does the code work a few hours a week and Mortal Exodus is fighting for his attention as well. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

azezal

Mar 27, 2024
Should be able to change hairstyles and skin colour, since hairdressers existed in medieval times and can either live in a cave to get paler or soak up the sun to get darker, but should not be able to remove tattoos, since laser tattoo removal did not exist back then.

If you gave your toon an ugly sleeve tattoo and don't like it anymore because its going out of fashion, tough luck.

Maybe in future give your character a tattoo that's not considered fashionable, so it does not go out of fashion :)

• Haha