Is there unplayable ping/lag issues for North American players?

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
But MO could be a lot better if they move the server to a centralized location. Just be because there are some non competitive aspects to the game doesn't mean you should purposefully make it less competitive.
I have worse ping than east NA and close to what some west NA people here get. Move it to east coast and i'll have it in the range of 170-190ms. Doesn't sound centralized from my POV.

Reactions: SilentPony

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
But MO could be a lot better if they move the server to a centralized location. Just be because there are some non competitive aspects to the game doesn't mean you should purposefully make it less competitive.
Like US east coast servers could be better overall. But that just screws EU players more. So while some server locations could be better than others its not like one location would be a massive improvement for most players. I think theres more NA players than EU but I feel like theres still a lot of EU. So it wouldnt help the game as much as people think.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
It's true, i have played with 350 and 16 and it is amazing how different the game feels, even landing spells on target is super lazy at low ping

LOL. Well yea, at that point of course. And yea again of course @ ping matters. Sux but it is what it is. Warping sucks for sure, but I still say it's 'workable' where as MO1 was... not. I've played laggy gms before. Someone throw up the actual server ip so I can ping it. 16 ping tho loool. That's like some leeg of legends shit.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Cellphone hotspot is often 4g. Even if you only get 10 GB per month on your plan it's plenty to lower ping (150 ms average myself). Just an often overlooked option if your standard internet is not so good. Naturally, you'd want to download large patches on something else. That's what I use satellite for. I do like that Starvault is experimenting with Ping Normalization. Very interested in how that will turn out. Does it mean they send more data to those who are losing packets vs. someone enjoying under 100 ms?

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
I haven't checked in a while but I believe I get liek 80 ish east coast. Its annoying that some people have a slight advantage over me but to me ping is the least of the games issues, and adding servers shouldnt be what people are fighting over. The world is too big and doesnt promote conflict. That alone is going to kill off the game, the last thing we need is to split the servers.

And what people dont realize is that when games like this have multi servers, if you play at not high time the game is dead. One of the things MO has going for it is that the 1 server makes the high and low times less different, so if the game has a pop its playable any time of day.

For multi servers we need the pop Sv wants for MO2, in MO1 sized world or smaller. Then they can just have several servers. But its too late for that.

The other thing to keep in mind is that MO isnt a competitive game. Most of the time you get zerged, their magic ignores your armor, you cant parry arrows, etc. The only time ping matters is in a fair fight of melee combat. Which virtually doesnt exist outside dueling.
yes but What if, my friend, What if... Starvault got more than 1,000 players online this time around? Imagine even 20,000 players. Once they take off as a mainstream game then a server on each continent is just natural like any other large company. This is why games like Fortnite feel so damn smooth to play. SV needn't miss out just for some lofty goal of it all being on one server. With that many players every server will have its own legacy. This is what they need to shoot for and they will become rich. PS - imagine 500 players all trying to get into ONE tindrem bank at the same time. Just let people pick which server they want to play on and end this damn ping nightmare for good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorry

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I have worse ping than east NA and close to what some west NA people here get. Move it to east coast and i'll have it in the range of 170-190ms. Doesn't sound centralized from my POV.
So because you personally would have higher ping you think it’s less centralized? What’s more important us west or Sergei Lavrovs estate with his two horses per 5 billion square miles?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
only really some russians will have bad ping. But if SV things the NA central and NA west ping is ok then it should be fine to have some people get another 40ms added and still be under 160. You could have less then 150 ping if you use exit lag too.

Just most of the player base would be under or with in 20ms of 100ms if they moved the server to NA east. The max MS which aussie have would be 40 ping less and maybe even more if they use exit lag that already lowers their ping by 40.
Aussies might have 80ms decrease with a centralized server.

A better system could be designed if you dont have extreme ranges for your ping.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
So because you personally would have higher ping you think it’s less centralized?
No. I just don't think it's a better location for everyone. I'll be screwed along with like half of my guildmates. And it seems like NA people have ping times that are actually playable, so what's the issue here?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
No. I just don't think it's a better location for everyone. I'll be screwed along with like half of my guildmates. And it seems like NA people have ping times that are actually playable, so what's the issue here?
Our ping as 90-220. 90 is a small fraction most are 120+ Central us is 160 western is 180-220.

Eastern US would also help south america and oce/aus a lot.

NA is usually more people then eu. Most EU will still be under 100ms which suposidly is what the game is designed to normalize ping too.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
NA is usually more people then eu.
If that is true you shouldn't have problem being competitive since most players you encounter are NA anyway.

90 is a small fraction most are 120+ Central us is 160 western is 180-220.
Well the eas US is much more populated and since we're talking about screwing the few for the good of many here, it seems fine.

Dr. Dos

Sep 29, 2021
There is noticable ping difference between NA and EU, it shows in combat with correcting a wrong block/parry. EU players have the time to correct themselves even if just once where as NA players are taking the hit the moment they block the wrong direction with no time to correct/recover. This may not be a constant but it does happen and seems to be a majority of players stating the same thing in-game and in duels.

NAserverplease

Apr 30, 2022
This game absolutely dsyncs and lags like sh!t for NA players. Dudes hit you from 5+meters away, it's like it stacks up when they are performing feints and even if you block the correct direction you take damage. The favorite for me is swinging directly through bodies and getting no hit marker, or a .5second delay that they magically parried. All the fan boys that enjoy have the EU advantage will disagree as this doesn't happen to them and it must be that our 3000series GPUs arnt as good as yours and we must be slogs with horrible reaction time so we should just get good right? However sugar coating the BS needs to stop. We need regions. Maybe 100 years down the road we can achieve a fabled one world mega server with 30ms for all. Ping normalization only works with people who have similiar ping to you. Devs need to actually listen or this game will be dead just like MO1 and they will lose massive amounts of revenue from the NA market only a handful of NA players will stay but the 60% of NA bad reviews complaining about this shit on steam should be a red flag.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
No, if you run a subpar computer (AMD processor etc) and have subpar internet (less than 1gig) you shouldn’t be a detriment to the rest of the community
AMD has been outclassing intel since their shitty FX series.

Intel are in the same place that AMD was in when they had to make the FX series, and they have done nothing to rectify the situation. No money put into R&D to make newer tech. Just trying to make as much money as possible from the same manufacturing.

Reactions: Sravine and Jatix

Edyran

Jan 27, 2022
AMD has been outclassing intel since their shitty FX series.

Intel are in the same place that AMD was in when they had to make the FX series, and they have done nothing to rectify the situation. No money put into R&D to make newer tech. Just trying to make as much money as possible from the same manufacturing.
Sure, keep telling yourself that. I’ll continue to have beautiful fps and a great connection.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Sure, keep telling yourself that. I’ll continue to have beautiful fps and a great connection.
i'm sure when intel are resorting to last gen processors with 200+ wattage, its a sign for the good!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sravine

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Died the other night attacking a grey in the Gy and his entire guild had to show up to save him. As I died I saw more showing up late to the party. Fair play, this is MO, people are supposed to team up. But my point, is ping doesnt matter 99% of the time. You either slam someone or get zerged. In an advanced level 1v1 ping would matter. But you dont get those organically. And in a group fight ping means almost nothing.