Is night vision done?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yes. Before the default was super dark and with nightvision it was slightly less dark but still not easy to see.

Now the default is super bright and with nightvision it's slightly more bright, but it's easy to see either way.

It's been "working" a long time. It's just never been good.

My suggestion has been to revert back to when it was darker / we had a blackwall as default, make the way nights currently look into the effect of "low light vision" for Alvarins when above ground. Give Ohgmir "darkvision", a toggle that functions above and below ground but turns their vision black and white when active.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
IMO the blackwall should come back... not not pitch black just a bit darker so its obvious you cant see clearly at that distance but still let you see the terrain for navigation purposes. Any players/npcs/etc beyond the vision radius should not draw in on your screens at all, so while you can see the terrain, players can be lurking out there that you wont know about. Nightvision ability should give a larger vision radius before the blackwall.

the visible area should stay at least as bright as it is now, I still find i need to gamma adjust now and again to see well at night but for the most part the brightness is ok.

ideally you would also be able to see things near light sources in the distance, someone holding a torch or a static fire. npcs/players near those sources should also draw in, but honestly i'd be plenty happy if they just made it so actors beyond the blackwall didnt draw in. they could be creative and allow them to be visible for a short time after getting beyond the veil which would be a nice touch but honestly just popping in and out of existence at the radius is fine for now.

dungeons are horribly lit and torches do not give a large light radius (and i think by default you hold the torch in your line of vision which is ridiculous). offhand non-weapon torches are the preferred solution here tho other suggestions like belt mounted lanterns or 'light' spells are totally fine as well. forcing someone to be the torch bearer is insanity.

-barcode

Reactions: Xatras

Salohcin

Nov 29, 2020
dungeons are horribly lit and torches do not give a large light radius

!10% true.