Improve Leveling, Kill Macros

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
So good job on banning macros. It's a good move and one that was needed for the game. But as things currently stand it is going to continue to happen among some players and guilds. That's in part because the current leveling system... isn't fun. If you want to train some things efficiently it's way easier to cheese them then just play the game and let it level naturally.

However, this is one MMO where you level skills through usage that macros were not common and I actually didn't even remember it was a learn-by-doing system until I really thought about it because they actually have a pretty good method of leveling. A game I never really thought I'd ever cite as a source on how something should be done. Shroud of the Avatar.

In that game, killing things grants XP based on the challenge of what you killed. A lot like the current clade gift system. The XP goes into something called "Pooled XP". In order to train a skill, you have to have pooled XP to allocate to it. Not only that but the larger your pool gets the faster you can burn it to raise a skill. So if you have a really large pool, skills train faster. So if some skill is kind of poorly balanced and levels slow *cough* taming. You can generate a large pool to actually make that skill bearable to train. "But some skills should be harder to train". Sure. And SOTA dealt with this by making some skills cost more pooled XP than others.

It's actually a really great system that makes macroing basically non-useful (You're going to level the skills you use frequently just by going out and farming pooled XP), deals with a lot of the crap in the current system, and still retains the usage-based leveling SV seems to want so badly. The only thing I would change is adding a cap to pooled XP so you don't continue to infinitely generate it after you finish your build allowing a darn near instant respec of the whole build down the road.

Oh. Also SOTA uses the exact same raise, lower, lock system MO2 does to determine if XP should be fed into a skill or not. Which is awesome because that means you already have half the mechanics needed to implement this. Pooled XP could be implemented with a cut and paste of the code for clade gifts and then a bit of adaption to the new mechanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rallos808