If Mortal Online 2 Purports to Be a Serious Competitive Game:

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
This will never be a competitive game since they dont have regional servers.
The idea that Mortal Online or MO2 should be "competitive" is a flawed premise in and of itself. When you say "competitive pvp" game, I think team based and objective based games like Chivalry, Mordhau, or Battlefield or something. You're actually competing to win a game based on an objective criteria.

Mortal Online is more of a simulation/RPG where the goal is whatever you make of it, or at least that's the case in my mind. This isn't a game with leaderboards and Em-El-Gee super 1337 gaymer bros proving they got the biggest e-peens on the interwebs. It was never designed around e-sports.

But as I remarked previously, the goal is what you make of it- and if what you make of it is a competitive hack n slash, who am I to differ?

Reactions: CherryKush

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The idea that Mortal Online or MO2 should be "competitive" is a flawed premise in and of itself. When you say "competitive pvp" game, I think team based and objective based games like Chivalry, Mordhau, or Battlefield or something. You're actually competing to win a game based on an objective criteria.

Mortal Online is more of a simulation/RPG where the goal is whatever you make of it, or at least that's the case in my mind. This isn't a game with leaderboards and Em-El-Gee super 1337 gaymer bros proving they got the biggest e-peens on the interwebs. It was never designed around e-sports.

But as I remarked previously, the goal is what you make of it- and if what you make of it is a competitive hack n slash, who am I to differ?
People get "competitive" over baking cakes and beer pong. What you're saying isn't false, but you're using the word too literal.

Last edited:

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
People get "competitive" over baking cakes and beer pong. What you're saying isn't false, but you're using the word too literal.
I assuming you're talking about like, baking shows when referring to cakes? Usually there is an end goal or prize to work towards, and in the case of beer pong- it's usually bragging rights, but I digress the general assertion implies that Mortal Online was ever intended to be "competitive" in the sense that it was some kind of e-sports game is a farce.
It's something I've argued and clashed with people back in MO-1 and I have not changed my stance that treating this game like it's some kind of competitive scene is absurd.

That said, the game is what you make of it, and sadly what a lot of people choose to make of it is being entirely destructive, alienating players. Now I don't mean that we should care-bear it up and make it Trammel 3.0, I'm just saying that in the case of MO-1 when you had players deathmatching naked noobs and naked griefer thieves with nothing better to do than harass people, it turns a lot of people off and there did not seem to be any drawbacks to playing like the biggest dickhead in the game.

Actually trying to play a "good guy" seemed to be infinitely harder, to the point that there's a reason I'm only commenting here on the forums and refuse to play the game. I don't need that kind of stress in my life anymore.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I assuming you're talking about like, baking shows when referring to cakes? Usually there is an end goal or prize to work towards, and in the case of beer pong- it's usually bragging rights, but I digress the general assertion implies that Mortal Online was ever intended to be "competitive" in the sense that it was some kind of e-sports game is a farce.
It's something I've argued and clashed with people back in MO-1 and I have not changed my stance that treating this game like it's some kind of competitive scene is absurd.

That said, the game is what you make of it, and sadly what a lot of people choose to make of it is being entirely destructive, alienating players. Now I don't mean that we should care-bear it up and make it Trammel 3.0, I'm just saying that in the case of MO-1 when you had players deathmatching naked noobs and naked griefer thieves with nothing better to do than harass people, it turns a lot of people off and there did not seem to be any drawbacks to playing like the biggest dickhead in the game.

Actually trying to play a "good guy" seemed to be infinitely harder, to the point that there's a reason I'm only commenting here on the forums and refuse to play the game. I don't need that kind of stress in my life anymore.
Ive always said it goes hand in hand.
A well balanced game will attract competitive players and the more skilled players a game has the less dickheads will be present.
Dickheads and such ilk use cheese tactics to fuck over less skilled players.
If no cheese tactic is present then less dickheads will be around for the simple fact that now they have to spend hours to train to beat police players who in a more competitive active game world will be better then in Mortal and Mortal 2 because here they can use cheese, gear, numbers and easy playstyles instead of skill as skill is not important nor is balance or activity in the world.

Good PvPers have always been rare in Mortal, because getting good is not rewarded like other braindead playstyles and cheeses available that takes no time to gain rewards.
Mortal and Mortal 2 actively chase off competitive players vastly lowering the skill level of the general populace.

A griefers paradise and also the playstyle most rewarded for least time investment.

buffalo

Dec 3, 2022
They should be doing minor balance tweaks every time they take the server down. Every 2 weeks or whatever, cmon, even BDO does that.

C'mon SV. Multi-task. I love ya. You can do it. I believe. I support your game, now make it good.

What could we try tweaking? Ohhh:

Arrow damage to armor
swing speed
tower shields
overall armor
mana regen

Gotta be like 100 things, FR FR.
I can only comment that I agree that either swing or block speed ( and I only mean timer for the latter) seems rational. I can't evaluate what now armor would do. I think a stam regen rework to match mo1 would help OR ..and I'm saying or...identify what the values of stam regen and armor stam regen did to make like evasion much more like edge of your seat when we can see just giving a whole race evasion skills that just to me seems to put less on the table than mo1. Again I guess I have to disclaimer...I do not say mo1 will always be the best but that looks like an actual part of how to get it better so please don't @ me with all this mo1 vet nonsense.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
A well balanced game will attract competitive players and the more skilled players a game has the less dickheads will be present.
If no cheese tactic is present then less dickheads will be around for the simple fact that now they have to spend hours to train to beat police players who in a more competitive active game world will be better then in Mortal and Mortal 2 because here they can use cheese, gear, numbers and easy playstyles instead of skill as skill is not important nor is balance or activity in the world.

Good PvPers have always been rare in Mortal, because getting good is not rewarded like other braindead playstyles and cheeses available that takes no time to gain rewards.
Mortal and Mortal 2 actively chase off competitive players vastly lowering the skill level of the general populace.

A griefers paradise and also the playstyle most rewarded for least time investment.

Well now we're just arguing semantics, as there is lots of back and forth on what is considered "skilled" and what is considered "cheese". I considered mounted combat to be a valid playstyle back in MO-1, while simultaneously considered magic to be "cheese". Lots of players in MO-1 considered the pinnacle of gameplay and "skill" to be foot-fighting melee combat, and actively cried about mounted combat, demanding it be nerfed rather than adjusting weapon's loadouts or preparing in any way meaningfully to counter where they could.
But that's a centuries old discussion and I doubt I'll gain any traction in discussing it now as I would have then because it's an argument of opinions, conjecture, and semantics.

At the end of the day, this game was never truly "competitive" and being "competitive" more in line with games that are arenas or pseudo arenas like Mordhau or For Honor, or shooter games like Call of Duty, Halo, (or Battlefield to a lesser extent). The baseline of competition in Mortal is purely just trying to have a better time than your rivals in accessing better quality gear, loot, lore, etc. instead of some scoreboard-y gameplay.

It is a game that demands asymmetry, and asymmetry demands imbalance, which is counter to what a real competition is, as competitions usually imply equal starting points. This game is more akin to a free-form war between all players or the factions that players make up as they go alone. War is anything but fair.

Reactions: CherryKush

buffalo

Dec 3, 2022

Disagree with the premise that skilled players are somehow good people.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Disagree with the premise that skilled players are somehow good people.
Ive found the more hardships a human has had the better the person turns out.

So it all depends on if its hard or not to get skilled.
Same turned out with MO as the lower SV made the skill gap and the more cheese we got the worse the community turned with more and more toxicity.

If players is forced to invest ungodly amounts of hours into a game in order to get good then that player will value the game beyond ruining it with toxicity. Just like a pro gamer earning his living by playing a game wouldnt want to cheat to be banned and lose his income.
Also if a griefer enters a game and due to the games hard combat system he is getting owned by everyone he tries to grief will make the griefer leave the game.

Dont think ive played a game thats hard that suffers from toxicity or griefers unless the game has cheese available to trump the hard aspects of the game. Such a game is in todays gaming industry the rarest game in the world. And most likely dont exist.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Well now we're just arguing semantics, as there is lots of back and forth on what is considered "skilled" and what is considered "cheese". I considered mounted combat to be a valid playstyle back in MO-1, while simultaneously considered magic to be "cheese". Lots of players in MO-1 considered the pinnacle of gameplay and "skill" to be foot-fighting melee combat, and actively cried about mounted combat, demanding it be nerfed rather than adjusting weapon's loadouts or preparing in any way meaningfully to counter where they could.
But that's a centuries old discussion and I doubt I'll gain any traction in discussing it now as I would have then because it's an argument of opinions, conjecture, and semantics.

At the end of the day, this game was never truly "competitive" and being "competitive" more in line with games that are arenas or pseudo arenas like Mordhau or For Honor, or shooter games like Call of Duty, Halo, (or Battlefield to a lesser extent). The baseline of competition in Mortal is purely just trying to have a better time than your rivals in accessing better quality gear, loot, lore, etc. instead of some scoreboard-y gameplay.

It is a game that demands asymmetry, and asymmetry demands imbalance, which is counter to what a real competition is, as competitions usually imply equal starting points. This game is more akin to a free-form war between all players or the factions that players make up as they go alone. War is anything but fair.
Good or bad, MO is the most competitive of all the games you typed here. You compete over much more things in MO then in any other game you listed here.
Imo MO never got developed to a point it COULD become a competitive combat game. Its still a WIP Alpha test and has always been. Nothing in the game is done, completed or in its final state. The entirety of the game is subject to change due to the development and Henriks fragile ever changing vision.

buffalo

Dec 3, 2022
Ive found the more hardships a human has had the better the person turns out.

So it all depends on if its hard or not to get skilled.
Same turned out with MO as the lower SV made the skill gap and the more cheese we got the worse the community turned with more and more toxicity.

If players is forced to invest ungodly amounts of hours into a game in order to get good then that player will value the game beyond ruining it with toxicity. Just like a pro gamer earning his living by playing a game wouldnt want to cheat to be banned and lose his income.
Also if a griefer enters a game and due to the games hard combat system he is getting owned by everyone he tries to grief will make the griefer leave the game.

Dont think ive played a game thats hard that suffers from toxicity or griefers unless the game has cheese available to trump the hard aspects of the game. Such a game is in todays gaming industry the rarest game in the world. And most likely dont exist.
Plenty of deplorable and very skilled fighters they tend to just gravitate toward ego clashes they get more out of it but they griefed more than people might be able to recount very easily. Just rpk alone is ok. Dread...could go on. I don't share the perspective and I could go into why work doesn't make good people but theology is like probably the reddest flag I can pull put of my grab bag atm. I don't see the objectivity.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
...there should be 2 servers for every continent except maybe antarctica

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
There is no game to be competitive. It takes hours to find fights so the only people that play it are rpers that set up fights.