Horse Archer Meta

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah for us people who have been in game for a while know that MA/mounted v FF situations we get in are extremely annoying for both sides to deal with. MAs cant really hit footies because players movement is fast enough to move out of a arrows path after it leave the bow. So skill cap is greatly capped for archer in general because of this.

Horse movement speed is high but its predictable as they cant change directions well so you can use prediction to hit horses as a archer which you cant do against people who can change their choice in direction mid arrow with enough time to get out of the way.

Long bow FFs can deter MAs/mounted very well but finishing them off is the big issue as they can always get out of range of long bows to heal but cant trade against a FFs at archery range.

Not one thing can be changed to fix the situation. You cant nerf move speed with out causing a lot of other issues in different mechanics and balancing of the game. So you need to raise the arrow speed in order to make MAs viable, this could also make archers viable but archery will be very annoying to many players then you need rebalance archery. Archery is pretty op if you are able to land hits on badly armored or soft armor targets. But archery hits a hard wall of being unviable when arrows face steel armor. Molarium level of armor is the right area of viable to be a archer but its not that good of a situation for archers.

To make MAs decent against foot players you would need to raise arrow speed and then rebalance the damage to have some effect against better armor but not be to strong against weaker armor/soft armor. And at that time you can start to think about adding wobble of some sort of other skill requirements to it.

Now after you make MA viable against foot you need to give foots counters to MA or else it will be very broken when the MAs can just ride away reheal and return till they kill you. So they would also need to add a slow down mechanic based on horse health. While on this topic horses are super squishy due to their lower health pool which make magic super strong against them. A mage can fulm into two mental projections and kill most horses. Outburst is OP and does 40s against horses compared to the 30s against players. Not only are they weak against magic horse armor is weak and long bow arrows melt horses.

With the two problems of horses are too squishy but can ride away from all non mounted damage the clear solution I think is to raise their health pool but attach speed limited based on their health. So a foot player does enough damage then the mounted would have to commit to the fight instead of fleeing to reset.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah for us people who have been in game for a while know that MA/mounted v FF situations we get in are extremely annoying for both sides to deal with. MAs cant really hit footies because players movement is fast enough to move out of a arrows path after it leave the bow. So skill cap is greatly capped for archer in general because of this.

Horse movement speed is high but its predictable as they cant change directions well so you can use prediction to hit horses as a archer which you cant do against people who can change their choice in direction mid arrow with enough time to get out of the way.

Long bow FFs can deter MAs/mounted very well but finishing them off is the big issue as they can always get out of range of long bows to heal but cant trade against a FFs at archery range.

Not one thing can be changed to fix the situation. You cant nerf move speed with out causing a lot of other issues in different mechanics and balancing of the game. So you need to raise the arrow speed in order to make MAs viable, this could also make archers viable but archery will be very annoying to many players then you need rebalance archery. Archery is pretty op if you are able to land hits on badly armored or soft armor targets. But archery hits a hard wall of being unviable when arrows face steel armor. Molarium level of armor is the right area of viable to be a archer but its not that good of a situation for archers.

To make MAs decent against foot players you would need to raise arrow speed and then rebalance the damage to have some effect against better armor but not be to strong against weaker armor/soft armor. And at that time you can start to think about adding wobble of some sort of other skill requirements to it.

Now after you make MA viable against foot you need to give foots counters to MA or else it will be very broken when the MAs can just ride away reheal and return till they kill you. So they would also need to add a slow down mechanic based on horse health. While on this topic horses are super squishy due to their lower health pool which make magic super strong against them. A mage can fulm into two mental projections and kill most horses. Outburst is OP and does 40s against horses compared to the 30s against players. Not only are they weak against magic horse armor is weak and long bow arrows melt horses.

With the two problems of horses are too squishy but can ride away from all non mounted damage the clear solution I think is to raise their health pool but attach speed limited based on their health. So a foot player does enough damage then the mounted would have to commit to the fight instead of fleeing to reset.

I agree w/ the horse thing, but I try not to hit horses unless I'm in an emergency situation, if for no other reason than it's actually easier to hit a dude riding on a horse than it is on the ground LOL. But I don't think arrow speed increase would be good. I'd be banging kids all day, and it would just be about putting the target on them. I like the way arrows are, and I'm pretty sure stuff like a longbow is pretty fast and straight. It's just on MA you are usually using short and firing what amount to lobs a lot of the time. I haven't rolled a 121(3?) to see how those go, but I imagine they are pretty straight, too?

It def is hard to hit people on foot as mounted tho. I could see increasing arrow speed on ground (if it's not already fast enough.) Ground archery is what I want to see work vs Footz, but if you ask @Shmerrick it's WAI. I don't think a MA should be able to do much vs foots cuz they can already clown any mounted. The only mounted that wins vs a MA is a better MA atm. IMO at least. And that's on top of the fact you can easily put people to sleep who don't have any skills by just chasing them down and ganking them with arguably less skill than it takes to MC them (because at least you have some level of speed advantage on MC.) Maybe you can do similar things w/ MM but it seems like you can hit a lot easier with bows.

I think the sort of 'agree to disagree' or agree to disengage (to be more specific) situation of MA v FF is not as bad as it seems atm, given there are other things that they can be working on. My PoV at least.