Great point.

CistaCista

Mar 13, 2022
This video is only about themepark MMOs.

It is worth noting that the two most permanently succesful SANDBOX MMOs out there both are P2W. EVE Online and Wurm Online both allow the player to buy anything in the game with RL money, no questions asked. Both games launched more than 15 years ago, and both to date maintain a higher playerbase than what they had 3 years after launch. An incredible feat.

Why is that? Because sandbox MMOs have many types of careers that you can become a champion of, and your succes is not always directly linked to wealth. Wealth can be gained, but wealth can also be lost. While themeparks really only have one career, and your succes in that career is instantly measurable.

So when a player in a themepark P2W injects 100 USD of cash value into the game, that means that this player instantly is more succesful, and will remain at a higher level of succes than his compeers. But when a player in a sandbox injects 100 USD of value into the game, that money ends up with another player, a crafter, a PvPer, even your clanmates, one way or the other. Because that is the way true sandboxes work - the succeses and failures of players are connected.

The RL money injection makes the game thrive - it counters the economic deflation that is often seen in MMOs after the first year or so, when too many players can craft the high level weapons etc.

Last edited:
D

Dracu

Maybe games die so quickly because one expects new stuff to bring this fresh new nostalgic feeling of discovery and joy. And then its just the same old... So much hype for a new experience just to find out hey its the same shit in a different color

The only game that wasnt meh old BS in the past years were Albion and Archeage. Noot that they are great games but that they gave a different experience which felt fresh and new.

Salohcin

Nov 29, 2020
WoW, was a big letdown for me. I bought it thinking it is Warcraft MMOed.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Maybe games die so quickly because one expects new stuff to bring this fresh new nostalgic feeling of discovery and joy. And then its just the same old... So much hype for a new experience just to find out hey its the same shit in a different color

The only game that wasnt meh old BS in the past years were Albion and Archeage. Noot that they are great games but that they gave a different experience which felt fresh and new.

That sucks :/

I believe the opposite, that the devs believe adding new stuff will re-invigorate the game, when really just keeping things balanced, clean, and letting the world develop (at least on a sandbox level) would be enough. Does make you wonder if after some years there should be a w*pe, but in general, things should run well.

The players aren't completely free of blame, either, there are people who hate SV who want to make the game fail. Not that it's possible to do that thru game play (incase people believe that. It's like smoking crack and thinking you're punishing anyone but yourself,) but if the majority of players are doing that and not goal oriented things, it sucks.

MO2 is samey, sure. Also depleted/worse in a lot of ways, but there is just not a lot of energy. The desire for 'gains' has taken over... not raw gains like ore, but like trinkets, spells, etc. Regulating pvp also regulated energy. There wasn't a proper filler after that except, like I said, more traditional MMO gains. You could count on people getting mad and griefing each other all of the time in MO1. I don't think that's the IDEAL, but it worked.

The game has vets who are mad, vets who are worn out, and new players, all of whom don't seem to be providing the level of content there was in, say, early MO1 (to be fair I wasn't there at launch, but just from vids n history etc.)

I certainly didn't come in expecting something different. I expected a lil more polish, more people, and a more bustling world.

As I have said, I dunno the exact answer, but I don't feel the sandbox has been developed to its fullest/most proper extent. Whoever gets that right will be rich, and that will be the next enduring game, IMO. There is almost 0 reason to play any other MMO when compared to what a functional sandbox would be.

But na, as for me, I was here for the fresh start (rip at that first/second week haha,) and hopefully more polished product. It is more polished, no matter what anyone says... wayyyy more polished, but it's bare. I hope someone can develop a sandbox correctly, and I don't mind if it's SV.

In the same way sticking in MO-world requires staying power, I believe the development of MO requires staying power. The game needs to develop its niche again and get a core audience and retain them. SV has done so much wrong, that people are still here says something... pop means nothing to me. There just needs enough to drive the world.

New shiny things don't actually add to the world, I've always felt. They just create a customer base who is consistently fiending for new things. Then you get those things and what... quit cuz boredom.