Feedback loops and their impact

Houseypooh

Dec 10, 2020
Positive and negative feedback loops are systems used in some game designs that function to either accelerate or balance the goal of the system that it is apart of.

For example;
1. Call of Duty uses the positive feedback loop of granting tactical abilities to players with killstreaks. This attempts to accelerate victory by rewarding success with advantages.
2. Mario Kart uses the negative feedback loop of granting players in the lead weaker weapons while players that are losing receive better weapons. This attempts to balance performance by rewarding players in last place more than players in first (To be crystal clear about how operant conditioning works, being rewarded less for a behavior does not have the same consequential impact as being punished for that behavior).

The point of all this is that if you've ever played a game where you've begun losing and felt incapable of bouncing back, gave up and let your opponent win, started driving in reverse because you're too far behind, or flat out quit and uninstalled the game then there is a likely chance you've experienced a poor or ineffective feedback loop system.

The obliterated and virtually nonexistent population of MO1 toward the end of it's lifespan can be blamed on many variables but none more impactful (IN MY OPINION) than the failed implementation of feedback loop systems within the game necessary to teach and maintain behavior, including logging into the game.

Finally, neither positive nor negative feedback loops are fundamentally more important than the other. Elements of both are required to encourage fulfilling and engaging gameplay from the most rigidly competitive to the most indifferently casual.

What I'm encouraging is for SV to take a good long look at the intentional feedback loops they're placing in MO2 but more importantly the unintentional ones.

Last edited:

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
The obliterated and virtually nonexistent population of MO1 toward the end of it's lifespan can be blamed on many variables but none more impactful (IN MY OPINION) than the failed implementation of feedback loop systems within the game necessary to teach and maintain behavior, including logging into the game.
(I've underlined the crucial part which feeds my fears more)

Please tell me you are not proposing some Daily quest system like in themepark games.

Houseypooh

Dec 10, 2020
(I've underlined the crucial part which feeds my fears more)

Please tell me you are not proposing some Daily quest system like in themepark games.

Could you elaborate more about your fears concerning player retention?

I'm absolutely not advocating for a quest system. In fact, I find static quests associated with themepark games to be lazy and generally boring. This is, however, a good point in distinguishing the difference between a themepark and a sandbox which I'm pretty sure we all prefer the latter.

I'm saying that learning happens every second while engaged in an activity and is influenced by the consequences throughout (not just at the end). Quests, tutorials, task analyses, what ever way you prefer to word them have a profound impact on the longevity of a game and it's player's behavior, which, was apparently botched in MO1.