Fat Mage

Oddysean

Mar 20, 2022
Hello, I have been playing a Fat Mage (Oghmir) and I was wondering about some general things.

First, how much does INT matter? I have seen two INT charts and it looks like they changed the curve to be linear? If the curve is linear than is a Fat Mage any good, since the increase is considerably less now?

Is it worth dropping my PSY down to 78 for the 25 points in DEX? I know that is the soft cap for speed. However, PSY is for mana total and from what I have found, it affects mana regen.

Also, as an Oghmir should I be wearing mage armor or should I roll around in the max weight armor I can?

What is the best race for a Fat Mage? A Sheevra can get the 25 points in DEX and 128 points in INT with a 138 PSY. They have a higher PSY and speed (also, twice the jump height in combat stance) at the cost of 10 INT and 20~HP and a lower armor weight.

What kind of Skills would a Fat Mage need? Other than the questionable MM Skill.

Also, I already know that DEX Mages are more playable, I just want to play as the supposedly "strongest" mage.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I wear less armor but more heavy. Id rather wear one plate piece than full light armor. Light armor sucks. Int past 100 basically just increases your chance of hitting a higher hit range. Psy idk its not that important honestly if you run out of mana in a fight and you have no support and your enemy isn't dead yet you are probably going to die regardless or they are dead already. I think dex is overrated. As a fat mage you arent going to be outrunning anyone anyways. I mean I think dex mage would be better if this game wasn't mounted combat online. The chance of getting into a foot battle with someone is very very rare. 99% of PVP encounters are vs mounted archers. Just doesn't make sense to roam around on foot and attack people unless you are flat broke and cant afford a horse. I guess skills are up to you could get taming skills for a pet like I have although pets are a lot of work but realistically the only way to farm as a fat mage

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Fat ogh mage is only viable mounted. You dont really need dex as 25 dex will never save your life. They made turning and acceloration be worse without 80ish dex but you dont need that stuff as a mm.

The 25 dex will just be conveince over mana regeneration.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
you can also play as a skinny mage which is nearly as high int as a fat mage but can run around. Though you are more of a glass cannon

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I dont know, movement speed is good defense I would say the fatmage is the glasscannon :D

No fat mage has much more hp. Secondly running won't save you. I dare you to outrun a gang of three mounted archers see how it goes

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
I play something I've been exploring, I call it platemage. It is not a glass cannon, and against average players you can actually 1v1. And in small group fights you can hold out long enough for your fighters to get them off you.

Max, weight, Con and size, maybe take defensive stance and go for about 11kg armour. That is 30% regen. Get a huge shield. Get all the Oghmir defensive Clade gifts. When you get attacked you literally turn your back and turtle and heal yourself.

Imo, MM is a trap, you do half the dps a mage on foot does due to double casting time, to add to that by the time you finished casting your horse rode off in the wrong direction and you first need to ride back to get range on your initial target.

Yes a large majority of PvP encounters start on mount, but you will never out heal a mounterd archer whilst you are mounted, but you can if you get off the horse and even agress him back if he is stupid enough to get close.

That being said, if you PvE a lot. You will fight in dungeons without a mount, very often. Also, you can solo all non-boss creatures one at a time, thing dex mages have a hard time to do.

In my experience I have never ran out of mana on a PvP fight. Either we died or they died before then. And that is with my 30% mana regen.