Early views from a new player

hadrius

Oct 26, 2021
Haven't noticed any comments on here from the respective of a new player to not just Mortal Online 2 but the hardcore MMO game itself so I figured I would share my early thoughts here from about 10 hours played mostly in Haven before jumping outside of Haven for an hourish last night. Hoping to get some more time in this weekend not in Haven and Ill share those in a later post in the thread.

1. Initial Experience in character creation
My initial experience in character creation was that it was almost impossible to understand what exactly I was looking at with each of the options that I was presented. I ended up having to go to the forums to look through some of the builds that were offered and went with pretty much a carbon copy of a build I found going with a Thursar warrior build. I think it is important to get a bit better of an explanation of what each slider actually means to the playstyle the player is going for.

2. Combat and Crafting Tutorial
The combat tutorial starts off with a solid explanation of the combat system and it gives you enough info to be able to understand what you should practice before going outside of Haven. The only thing I think that could be worth explaining is maybe in the tutorial explaining the different options and having people change those options during the tutorial to see if they like the other styles of combat better. I personally found out about the different options about halfway through just by scrolling through the different settings to play around with it. Also, I think it could be beneficial to at the very end of the combat tutorial have players venture into a bandit camp or the dungeon near the graveyard to get some practice 1 on 1 with some bandits as the difference between learning on the walking dead and the bandits for me was pretty drastic and took some time to get better with. The crafting tutorial was also a good introduction to the system and begins to show the player just how complex the system can be. One thing that could be added is an explanation of all of the available types of material and what each offers in general. For example like what the different types of wood are, what the different types of metal are etc.

3. Thoughts on systems not introduced during the tutorial
I think the biggest things lacking from the tutorial is that the majority of the games systems are not introduced during this time. Magic is not explained and the only way a player can notice the system at all is from happening upon the magic vendors and tutors. This could be added to the combat tutorial and explained with even a brief overview of the magic system. Another aspect that is not talked about is the pet system and associated taming of those pets. I only learned about the pets after showing up outside of Haven and being thoroughly confused by the horses and pet I saw upon seeing another player. Lastly on this topic is an explanation of how skills work in terms of which ones are required to level to learn others and which ones affect others is a major issue. Right now I think the game is reliant on external sources to provide this information to players which will just cause the majority of players to quit.

4. Leaving Haven
When I decided to leave Haven I was not expecting to lose a couple key aspects that to that point I had been using regularly. First of those was the map of Haven it came to a real shock to me that I didn't have even a very basic map of the continent to use after having one the entire tutorial island. Why give players the impression they will have a map if the game will not feature one after the tutorial. The other aspect I think that could have been touched on was that banks do not transfer over from the tutorial island and really weren't talked about in the tutorial. A quick explanation of banks not being connected and anything you put in the bank in Haven not transferring can be added fairly easily and be helpful to new players.

Overall I do want to say though that the game is something I have very much enjoyed and I look forward to learning more about the game overtime. I hope to start getting into some pvp over the next few days and inevitably get destroyed from having no idea what I'm doing the second I enter the game today and find some random person. Anyways hopefully this feedback is somewhat helpful and can provide some insight on some things that can be improved upon to give new players a better idea of what they are walking into to improve retention.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Some good feedback.

One thing to note though, I believe the items in your haven bank should transfer into the bank of the town you teleport too from Haven. Unless they recently changed that.

The banks throughout the world are not shared though.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Some useful insights indeed, although one of your minor points about explaining all the different materials touches on a key aspect of this game. You are meant to experiment and figure things out for yourself (if you don't want to cop out and google it) which can be very rewarding and is a big part of many crafting systems in this game.

I also believe that preset builds will come to character creation, and you will eventually be able to reroll your character before you leave Haven so you aren't stuck with a bad build.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Haven't noticed any comments on here from the respective of a new player to not just Mortal Online 2 but the hardcore MMO game itself so I figured I would share my early thoughts here from about 10 hours played mostly in Haven before jumping outside of Haven for an hourish last night. Hoping to get some more time in this weekend not in Haven and Ill share those in a later post in the thread.

My initial experience in character creation was that it was almost impossible to understand what exactly I was looking at with each of the options that I was presented. I ended up having to go to the forums to look through some of the builds that were offered and went with pretty much a carbon copy of a build I found going with a Thursar warrior build. I think it is important to get a bit better of an explanation of what each slider actually means to the playstyle the player is going for.

The combat tutorial starts off with a solid explanation of the combat system and it gives you enough info to be able to understand what you should practice before going outside of Haven. The only thing I think that could be worth explaining is maybe in the tutorial explaining the different options and having people change those options during the tutorial to see if they like the other styles of combat better. I personally found out about the different options about halfway through just by scrolling through the different settings to play around with it. Also, I think it could be beneficial to at the very end of the combat tutorial have players venture into a bandit camp or the dungeon near the graveyard to get some practice 1 on 1 with some bandits as the difference between learning on the walking dead and the bandits for me was pretty drastic and took some time to get better with. The crafting tutorial was also a good introduction to the system and begins to show the player just how complex the system can be. One thing that could be added is an explanation of all of the available types of material and what each offers in general. For example like what the different types of wood are, what the different types of metal are etc.

I think the biggest things lacking from the tutorial is that the majority of the games systems are not introduced during this time. Magic is not explained and the only way a player can notice the system at all is from happening upon the magic vendors and tutors. This could be added to the combat tutorial and explained with even a brief overview of the magic system. Another aspect that is not talked about is the pet system and associated taming of those pets. I only learned about the pets after showing up outside of Haven and being thoroughly confused by the horses and pet I saw upon seeing another player. Lastly on this topic is an explanation of how skills work in terms of which ones are required to level to learn others and which ones affect others is a major issue. Right now I think the game is reliant on external sources to provide this information to players which will just cause the majority of players to quit.

4. Leaving Haven
When I decided to leave Haven I was not expecting to lose a couple key aspects that to that point I had been using regularly. First of those was the map of Haven it came to a real shock to me that I didn't have even a very basic map of the continent to use after having one the entire tutorial island. Why give players the impression they will have a map if the game will not feature one after the tutorial. The other aspect I think that could have been touched on was that banks do not transfer over from the tutorial island and really weren't talked about in the tutorial. A quick explanation of banks not being connected and anything you put in the bank in Haven not transferring can be added fairly easily and be helpful to new players.

Overall I do want to say though that the game is something I have very much enjoyed and I look forward to learning more about the game overtime. I hope to start getting into some pvp over the next few days and inevitably get destroyed from having no idea what I'm doing the second I enter the game today and find some random person. Anyways hopefully this feedback is somewhat helpful and can provide some insight on some things that can be improved upon to give new players a better idea of what they are walking into to improve retention.

A lot of player tell me that they not know how to increase pet points. I would like to see the Equarry answer some basic question.

I think we need a "i have a question" option in the menu of the vendor, which open up a window with the basic questions.

How can i raise my petpoints ?
The NPC should answer that you have to read the book domestication and creature controll.

Can i loose my horse ?

NPC : Feeding your horse is important, becuase this will increase the loyality. If you forget to feed your horse it will loose loyality, and if the loyality drops to 0 you will loose your pet.

How can i level my Pets ?

NPC: If a pet have maximum loyality it will level up every ... minutes

I think we need an NPC near the Weapon Workbench.

I have a Question

How can i craft a sword ?

NPC : go in this building behind you and buy the needed books. You will need the 1 h handel crafting book for crafting 1 handed swords and the following books if you want to craft 2 h swords. "2 h handel crafting, advanced blade crafting, greatblade crafting...

Don´t forget that you need the lores of the materials you plan to use to craft your weapon from. The materiallore books can be bought at the material lore vendor.

A new player told me he want to be able to ask the NPC´s some basic questions, because it is immersion breakin if you have to tab out and read a guide int he forum, for the most common questions.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
@hadrius First of all, welcome to our community and thanks for your feedback. Many of us who have been playing MO2 closed beta (and MO1 before it) for a long time probably wouldn't have noticed the areas you pointed out that may need improvement.

Regarding the bank system, everything you've accumulated in your Haven bank will be transferred to the bank of the town or city you chose when leaving Haven. Be careful which town you choose to start in, as you will have no way to undo that choice once you commit to it, short of recreating your character.

As @Amadman pointed out, once you arrive on the mainland every town has its own separate bank. So if you have an item in one town that you want to access in another town, you'll need to transport it there yourself or get someone you trust to do it for you. This is known as local banking.

We do have a number of content creators in our community who have devoted their channels to covering MO2 and created their own new player guide videos. You may find the information useful as they cover the game from different perspectives:

finegamingconnoisseur: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9kTnYXChgvEgsfUPaBSPwoQJmCQzUvXl

@Speznat 's Wolfszeit: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnFCxXbT8LONrkTUPeVK9MmuXxVDAA0ww

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021

4. Leaving Haven

Great feedback!
Haven bank does transfer, but its currently a bug in the system.

hadrius

Oct 26, 2021
So I spent a few more hours playing and got into some fights where I struggled pretty good as expected. One of the things I think is important to understand about this game both from a new and veteran perspective is that all games have to have a relatively steady stream of new players being integrated into the game to survive. The skill based combat system is a blessing and a curse in this scenario, and I think there is a relatively simple way to add a fix to reduce the chances of it becoming a curse and also add something fun for the veterans to do. My suggestion here is to add a tournament / arena to the cities and offer it as a place where both veterans and new players can duel to their hearts content, This adds a couple things in my opinion.
1. Gives new players a chance to learn the game from veterans and maybe even get some tips from those veterans
2. Adds another option for content creation for both guilds and non guild players as you can have tournaments inside these that might get a larger crowd knowing it is "safe". Obviously guilds would still be able to do tournaments the same way the videos of the tournaments show it would jut offer a larger option for them.
3. This can be a good way for players to try new weapons / abilities that they normally don't use and allows for some theorycrafting for some players.

I think the argument here comes down to how safe is too safe. Maybe the tournament grounds is just surrounded by guards rather than you just can't die. (The issue here is how do you make it work so the guards don't just attack the duelists?) Anyway just some thoughts would love to hear what everyone thinks about this!

Reactions: Tzone

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The Tindrem arena (already added, pending its flagging system) will likely serve the purpose you described, though obviously the lawless wilderness out there will always be present and isn't ever going away.

I myself am not good at pvp in any stretch of the imagination, so I have developed my own strategy of stealth and evasion to survive. It has worked very well for me as a solo player for many years now.

I think this may very well be the determining factor on whether players stay or quit after the initial excitement wears off. They will need to learn to be a master of their environment in their own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
The Tindrem arena (already added, pending its flagging system) will likely serve the purpose you described, though obviously the lawless wilderness out there will always be present and isn't ever going away.

I myself am not good at pvp in any stretch of the imagination, so I have developed my own strategy of stealth and evasion to survive. It has worked very well for me as a solo player for many years now.

I think this may very well be the determining factor on whether players stay or quit after the initial excitement wears off. They will need to learn to be a master of their environment in their own way.

Honestly I feel like the 'initial excitement' is usually the opposite. Like if players stay after the insanity that is learning how to play the game they're more likely to stick around due to the sunk time cost. Most people I tried to get into the game quit after the first few hours due to getting killed by a player then getting killed by guards and stuff

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Honestly I feel like the 'initial excitement' is usually the opposite. Like if players stay after the insanity that is learning how to play the game they're more likely to stick around due to the sunk time cost. Most people I tried to get into the game quit after the first few hours due to getting killed by a player then getting killed by guards and stuff
I think that is why if SV and the community can help guide new players to learn to think on their feet and take the steering wheel on their own, getting killed will become less of an occurrence, and even when it does happen, a learning experience.

If they quit because they got killed by players and guards, that is a whole different issue entirely.