Do magic right this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Basically stick to all the old ideas you had and make every magic school different and interesting.
Don't dump spells down and make them a lot less interesting and basically just like another theme for Ecumenical magic because you are lacking the proper features for it and are cramming it into the features you have instead of creating the needed features to make them right.
That's what happened with Necromancy back in the days and it was disheartening. I have no clue how different Elementalism was because at that point I had already lost all interest in any MO magic.

Nuff said.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Basically stick to all the old ideas you had and make every magic school different and interesting.
Don't dump spells down and make them a lot less interesting and basically just like another theme for Ecumenical magic because you are lacking the proper features for it and are cramming it into the features you have instead of creating the needed features to make them right.
That's what happened with Necromancy back in the days and it was disheartening. I have no clue how different Elementalism was because at that point I had already lost all interest in any MO magic.

Nuff said.

I don't know if we are thinking about the same thing. But I think that the magic was a bit too combat-oriented and competing with eachother of being the most useful/doing the most damage. Like Necromancy for instance; it just felt like it didn't focus too much on raising the dead part, but instead laid focus on the damage spells. Sure, nothing wrong with damage spells, but it would just be nice to have magic having a greater part in other areas of the game instead of combat.

Speaking about the magic schools apart from Ecumenical, which I'm fine with being very combat-oriented.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I think a basic Mage should have always been able to enjoy PvE and farming junk like any fighter archetype could. Personally I don't like Pets at all and as a mage shouldn't have to rely on one to accomplish a very basic gameplay loop. SV could have at any point in MO's lifespan at least attempted to balance the basic magery school so that it was more useful than it was. As a basic school Ecumenical is cool as something that can do a little of everything, do some healing, deny healing, some damage, it never had to be awesome for PvE, but it was the only option starting out, they should have always had at least 2 different basic spell schools to start with, jack of all trades ecumenical, but then pair that with another basic school which was only dmg focused where you make the choice that you're going to give up heal spells so you can nuke some junk and do some damage like everyone who wants to play a mage wants to be able to do, then balance around that.

Also, since Ecumenical is the utility school, put more utility spells into it like mage light so a mage can see in the dark and cast spells without having to hold a torch...imagine that....and also maybe the breathe underwater spell...it'd make that school a good choice for explorers and junk, it'd be much better.

In regards to the OP, they definitely goofed on implementing the advanced magic schools. They ruined the game with Necromancy pets, no reason to have ever made them as powerful as they were, I wasn't around to see how they ever tried to balance it, but that whole implementation was really really bad for the game.

However I do like the idea that there would be what we could consider like basic magic schools (needs to be more than 1 tho) and advanced stuff that does more cooler and involved things and is harder to master.

I also did not like, and feel it was very prohibitive to newer players looking for just like any reason at all to keep playing the game, how many hoops there was to jump through to just try out a new magic school just to see if it was even something you were interested in playing. There was such a huge barrier to entry for them that you had to invest a lot of time and money just to even see if it was a playstyle you'd like. It was so much easier if you were a fighter to play around with different builds to find what you liked, sword or maces, MA or MC, etc, but as a mage you didn't have that choice, and that problem was just multiplied for newer players, who like I was saying need every reason we can give them to see if this game is something they should stick with.

A new player would try out ecumenical and try to go do something basic and be like wtf....this is clunky, that did no damage....I'm out of mana...I cant even kill this bear...or these reagents cost me more to kill this bear when I take time and kite it around to make this at all a profitable thing to do either in time or resources. This is basic crap that was never considered...they never touched it...I just don't get it at all. We hear in all the new interviews how with UE4 its going to be so much easier for them to implement their vision and how UE3.5 or whatever was holding them back, but this basic balance stuff has nothing to do with that and could have easily been iterated on over the last 10 years...but they never even tried...why didn't they try? It makes no sense!

Last edited:

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I would like to see Ecu be a little more involved, as the user above me said: mages should be able to do the basic PvE loops a melee fighter can. A new take on Mind Blast for example, could perhaps become a tether. The rest of the spells would remain normal, how they worked in MO1.

You would tether to an enemy, making your "swings" with bare hands send a pulse of damage along the tether for some mana. This could be mid ranged, and would allow a mage to attach and fight in PvE effectively while kiting.

I don't see how this would be bad, and in PvP it would be usable but the damage wouldnt be overly high and being mid ranged would put you at a lot of risk of being run down.

Again this may sound drastic, but im just pitching. I think it would be fun, and that is the point. Mages need to be able to PvE sufficiently from the start, just as a naked man with a worn short sword can. Without needing an ally, a pet, or to kite awkwardly and for a prolonged duration.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I agree.

And yes in MO1 new spells got to much better than the old with a new skin type deal instead of being its own thing and unique it felt more copy/paste but better than old ones.

Nitr0b1az3r

Sep 11, 2020
I'm excited to see how how pretty the new iterations of our spells are gonna be with UE4! I'm a healer so I'm hoping I'll be able to keep up with the dmg output of course, but that aside I'd also really like to see some non-combat spells. Some druidy-type farming magic would be fun! or maybe some crafting magic to enchant stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.