Discussion about starting locations for new players

Eskaldar

Jun 25, 2020
I would suggest making a start in a random city. Then the population would be spread evenly. Those who know the game and so get to the right place, and beginners will be able to cooperate in remote places. If they need to get to some other city, they will have a goal / incentive to learn how to cooperate with other players from this zone. I also think that chat for noobs is a very useful thing, as well as tutorial. Yellow flag for noobs not bad thing too.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I would suggest making a start in a random city. Then the population would be spread evenly. Those who know the game and so get to the right place, and beginners will be able to cooperate in remote places. If they need to get to some other city, they will have a goal / incentive to learn how to cooperate with other players from this zone. I also think that chat for noobs is a very useful thing, as well as tutorial. Yellow flag for noobs not bad thing too.
I can agree on yellow flag.
Random start city is bad idea since not all of them offer good environment for new players and they not supposed to be evenly populated by design.
I would like to be able to help my friends who want to try the MO2 and it would be easier to introduce them to the game if they start in the location where I can provide some support.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChavaiotH

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
having haven as a starting area is fine. its actually necessary on launch to handle the inrush of players since they'll be able to make multiple haven instances i guess.

two things for sure tho:
  • no yellow flags (or whatever the equivalent would be with the new flagging system) outside of haven
  • no items can transfer from haven to the mainland. no idiocy like keeping a bank full of materials to come with you. this also needs to be made clear to new players that they wont be keeping any of the items they horde in haven

haven needs a better new-player experience for those not familiar with MO1 and how things work, something to guide players on how to do various tasks without having to read a wall of text. part of this experience needs to be dying and how to recoup after losing everything

let players leaving haven choose their starting location on myrland so people playing together can find eachother. upon reaching your new 'home' city, there should be a care package there of some kind with some basic gears to help you get started.

-barcode

Reactions: Rorry and Eldrath

Eskaldar

Jun 25, 2020
Very first experience is birth, next is survival. If you don't succeed, the reward is death to find the light. Very simple

After all, the world in which we live is deadly dangerous,

It does not tolerate mistakes and the meaning of it is clear to everyone.

Don't make mistakes and you will be happy,

And if you make a wrong choice, it will be so crappy.

In the world of shadow and eternity, many warriors have gone,

But in battle my new two-handed sword still cuts alone.