Current Concerns with Combat - NA 120 Ping Average

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Hey guys, after extensive testing I have come to a few conclusions about the combat which I find a bit concerning. I'm an NA player averaging 120 ping at any given time. I have probably spent 60 hours engaged in actual combat with TheTyGuy alone who I believe stays under 30 ping. The more time I spend fighting him the more I realize the difference in ping directly alters our fighting styles.

Ty is a great player and has an extremely quick reaction time. When you mix someone who is incredibly fast at parrying with low ping it is nearly impossible to land hits on them with traditional attacks as a player with higher ping. After many hours of fighting Ty, I came to the conclusion that as a mid-high ping player, I have 3 routes I can take to deal damage to a skilled player with low ping.

1. Quick tracking to sticky back if the player turns away to move out of range
2. Trading hits
3. Chivalry like camera tactics (ballerina spins) on a counter attack in order to confuse the player

Options 1 and 2 are great routes to take and personally I enjoy Mordhau and Chivalry camera tricks so I appreciate option 3 as well.
However, my concern is not about my personal game play experience but the experience of new players. Let me just point out that the percentage of population who loves camera spinning in games like Chivalry is FAR LOWER than the percentage who despise it.

Currently a player with low ping has a few additional routes of dealing damage against a player with high ping. Due to the latency, feinting is a truly effective tool against a high ping player especially when mixed with camera manipulation. Next, a low ping player is able to trade far more efficiently than a high ping player. We are unable to rely on animations from the low ping player to determine whether or not we may catch them in a swing and effectively trade blows. On the low ping players screen they have already struck you and are ready to land a parry which will then be followed up a high speed counter attack. This forces us to play the game a couple seconds ahead instead of watching the player. Lastly, low ping players who are skilled at parrying are able to reliably incorporate the "parry game" into their fighting styles. This means a skilled player with low ping is able to reliably block your counter attacks (maybe with the exception of lightning fast weapons i.e. warhammer) with the intention of successfully regaining momentum in the fight by returning massive damage.

As a long time MO1 player I'm used to learning the janky little tricks required to be effective in PvP but MO2 is being designed for the masses. I'm extremely concerned that the wider audiences will be turned off of the combat/game once they see a skilled player spam feinting and spinning while simultaneously parrying every attack. I have not conducted any research regarding low ping vs. low ping so I can't speak for that game play experience. My concerns are purely based on players with sub-optimal latency vs skilled players with optimal latency.

I'm aware that my concerns are much more prevalent in 1v1 scenarios but I'm fairly confident that as the game progresses, we will see this style of play incorporated into specific group fight situations as well.

This was not a complaint post. Other than the direct disadvantage I feel from ping differences, I really enjoy camera tricks and anything that raises the skill ceiling. I'm purely basing these concerns on the new player experience. I want to see this game flourish!

TL;DR - High ping players are forced to use camera manipulation in order to damage skilled low ping players. Trades are far more dangerous. Parrying counters is far less reliable for a high ping player. Concerned that new players will be turned off by this.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
When you mix someone who is incredibly fast at parrying with low ping it is nearly impossible to land hits on them with traditional attacks as a player with higher ping.

The issue is not the high ping, but Ty. Even I, as a low ping player, struggle to get parry attacks through his defense. He's insanely strong at parrying and he mastered that instant switching from charged swing to parry.

In MO2 switching between animations is much smoother and faster, compared to MO1. That makes it so extemely hard to get hits through in an 1 vs 1.

In MO1 with decent timing you were able to to get a block instead of a parry when the enemy refreshed the parry ( by quickly releasing and blocking again). In MO2 you can do that so fast, that you almost never manage to get a block instead of a parry.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Concerned that new players will be turned off by this.
A skilled player will always trash a new player, regardless of ping. But new players need to deal with it. Part of the learning curve...

PatWins

May 28, 2020
A skilled player will always trash a new player, regardless of ping. But new players need to deal with it. Part of the learning curve...
Of course man.. That's not really the point of the post though. I'm saying low ping players straight up have more time to react to counter attacks than high ping. Meaning players with equal skill and different ping will not have a completely even fight. Players with higher ping like myself will have to adapt (which is fine) and play differently than low ping players in order to compete. The issue is once players realize how hard it is to land a single hit without manipulating the camera they will be turned off of the combat.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Of course man.. That's not really the point of the post though. I'm saying low ping players straight up have more time to react to counter attacks than high ping. Meaning players with equal skill and different ping will not have a completely even fight. Players with higher ping like myself will have to adapt (which is fine) and play differently than low ping players in order to compete. The issue is once players realize how hard it is to land a single hit without manipulating the camera they will be turned off of the combat.
I think that this is mainly an issue in duels. In group fights you will hardly notice it. Since MO2 aims for a large population I think 1 vs 1 will be the exception.

Reactions: PatWins