Crafting Suggestions anyone?

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I listened to the Q&A and found it to be somewhat informative. Also shows where their mind set sits with making the game fair to everyone while still keeping an edge on veterans who know the game. So my question to everyone. How would you make crafting better, more interesting, engaging, ect.?

I personally loved the old way of sliders and tying in your clades knowledge to the sliders. It did need some help though as, suggested example would be: Any knowledge will decrease the sliders gap. Including use of weapon, so a grand master swordsman could know any sword by viewing its stats. At same value that a crafter who makes the weapon would have.

Sliders vs directed point values?

I love the sliders, giving players a understand as they gain knowledge seems fantastic. I feel a direct point system would decrease the variety of what's produced by crafters. Eventhough i would like to see something that gives knowledge to a weapon without breaking it. Like an appraiser skill that let's you decrease sliders without needing a lot of knowledge while giving some general information ( example for sword: durability 30-100, slashing 10-35, piercing 10-25, blunt 5-10. Based on unarmored statistics.) I see this helping sell items, craft, purchasing and fine tuning for the masses. I always enjoyed selling good gear to players and great gear to guildies. To see more mass production would be nice if everyone could get an idea of what they are looking at. Even if it takes skill points, i believe it would help newer players or player who want to markets with different tiered items.

Interactions with crafting.

I would like to see less drop and wait for process completion. By creating some form of visual application, I'll use cooking as the example ( somewhat similar to alchemy imo, just more goes into alchemy x.x ) : Depending on tool used for cooking depends on the animation played when in "the cooking process ". Stering a stew as it boils, spinning the turnip, while giving players a 4 tier system to create a multitude of more options. Like a real cook, 1t prepare, 2tcook and season, 3t garnishes, and 4t meal plate ( allowing to eat different items in one sitting ). This could really give cooks the feeling of being a real cook. Alchemy would follow similar idea with slightly different way of creating items ( because its alchemy..)

Other forms of crafting, weapons, armor, fetching.

Minigames!!! Give more skill based crafting in this area. Maybe a player used a dowel and a fletching wheel to sleep a piece of wood. The player in the mini game would use the dowel to create arrow shafts then combining feathers, shaft and tip would create an arrow. Following the same idea for other crafting. Using a anvil to pound swords into shape. The better you are with your personal skills and ingame skills, would determine the quality of the out come of such item. Same with fletching, let's say you mess up slightly, it just makes a weaker arrow shaft insted of "failing" to create something. This in turn gives crafters a real skill and practice to become true grand masters. Just having knowledge is power, having skill and knowledge could make a crafter a one of a kind cuase its extremely good with the skill portion.

Butchery, woodcutting, mining, gatherables?

Hearing that trees may fall and rocks to be destroyed, sounds amazing! I think that moving to the idea that they regrow over time is just great. It brings that realistical experience to traveling when entire forests get wiped for a day. Seeing how it works in other games, I would like to see butchery follow near by. Instead of bringing your carcass back to butch properly, why not give butchers a portable mat similar to a campfire or any portable equipment. As a hunter in real life, we do field dressing which helps lighten the loads when traveling back. No need to bring hide back if we dont use it right? So ideally a butcher should be able to do their job anywhere if they have the right supplies, clean mat, good knife, and storage.

Item edits?

I think throwing some lore behind gear and showing reason or why bone tissue leather is an armor. Could tie this with clades, as each clade is very particular to their areas. Not to give away what materials that are used but to inform us maybe why Tindrems gaurds wear plated armor, and sidionas wearing leathery strings. Just to fill lore background while giving new players ideas of what could be used for crafting instead of hearing "wtf, bone armor?" Not everyone has knowledge of old war times and equipment, so to introduce a lore that gives players ideas of why particular clades or empires have certain gear. ( Example: Tindrem Guards Plated head to toe, their empire is known through all the lands as a powerful empire who has powered their way to victory in times of war.) To fill the 700 year gap that will be known because of player assets to empires, regions ect.

Would love to hear other suggestions as it sounded like they arent fully engaging in the newer crafting system yet, this could be the time where our suggestions push good measures and mechanics!

❤-Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I'm not sure who's more ignorant, Americans for not wanting to read novels like this, or the people who write these long ass essays expecting Americans to read it.

Didn't read, fully against this dumb idea completely.

Lol did you call yourself ignorant?
I'm guessing you like fighting more then crafting?

Reactions: Rolufe

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Sliders vs directed point values?
i dont think the swordsman would be able to evaluate a sword from examination at the same level as the master crafter. Sure they may know some things but would they know the grain structure or see inclusions/cold welds that the crafter would have an eye for? probably not.

the sliders were done in a godawful way. once you're familiar with them yes its easy to know what its telling you but for any new player its a total mystery, very unintuitive. On top of that, anyone who really spent time with the sliders had tools to look at them at a pixel level to know for sure the value that is represented. so it makes total sense to give some kind of numerical value (or a range as you suggest) rather than forcing people to jump thru hoops to accomplish the same. perhaps low level knowledge will give a more qualitative value "the blade is dull" "the blade is extremely sharp" kind of thing

Other forms of crafting, weapons, armor, fetching.
minigames seem like a fun idea but making them a required part of the crafting process will make it more tedium than excitement. as an optional way to speed up (like 20%-50%) the crafting or extraction, sure maybe it can work. having them alter the outcome of the product will see the rise of macros that complete it perfectly and cant be competed with by people not macroing.

i *would* like to see a crafter's mark, something that all pieces of gear would have that identifies who crafted it. consumables like food or potions wouldnt really apply but any gear should have something like that

Butchery, woodcutting, mining, gatherables?
butchery has long been a contentious 'profession'. i've suggested before to have the ability for field dressing, but it got no traction. butchery itself needs a total revamp if it is to remain in MO2. right now theres no decisions to be made except which lores to pursue (since you cant have them all)

with ore extraction you have many choices that affect the output and you can choose to maximize one extraction product or another. certain materials require specific machines/catalysts to get any at all. im not saying butchery needs to be as complicated but certainly there should be decisions to be made

-barcode

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
@barcode I see some of what your saying and I also see the side of mastering the use of a weapon, armor, mounts, (gear)ect. As anyone who practices with such items, over time they would know the difference between a really good weapon vs a bad one. Hints the reason crafters are known at all. The crafter gain recognition for the items they provide, which is all based on player feedback anyways. In turn others can see the value in item by having a skill like appraising / evaluation or other knowledge through training. It would make sense to give crafters the chance to be renown for a way of crafting. Keeping the sliders so those who wanna know can learn multiple ways, not just the crafters knowledge, general knowledge based on experience with whatever item is being viewed. This would also make a spear user not know if a sword is good or not, unless they have something to do with swords.

Which I also agree, maybe only changing the "final" combination for items ( weapons, armor, potions, ect ) to give better or worsened stats. Not trying to make different qaulity items other than items with durability / usability. So steel shouldn't have different qualities but items crafted with it would be better or worse depending on how much experience of the crafter.

Though recreating a meta for crafters, all crafters would be the same... My idea is to remove the meta concepts from crafting. So anyone can be mediocre but not everyone will be true grand masters of such crafts. Hoping that naturally players will be all trades of different clades, not relaying fully on predetermined stats to create the "best" builds for each clade.

Materials: I was aiming for the suggestion to be more of an animation that happens in stead of a loading bar of such. Would be cool to see something like speeds increase if you do it manually vs through an animation. Although I see people being able to fail and get frustrated. Unless they pay an NPC to do the "work" and it shows where to go but not what they are doing... You would know what they are using cuase you told them how to, would be the idea at least.

Thanks for the feedback! Also love the idea of player branding! All crafters of master level or better should be able to have a custom designed or mark, it just makes sense.

Reactions: Najwalaylah