Cooking question

Kmanzor

Dec 11, 2021
Is it me or is cooking a little one dimensional currently? Adding ingredients to make what would seem like reasonable dishes don’t seem to add much value if any. For example there’s little improvement or variation on corn bread in game seemingly? Not much fun. Is it possible to use the baking stone for more than just flour and some liquid? Just for fun I wanted to make banana bread but I can’t seem to get the baking stone to accept muse fruit into my otherwise successful cornbread…what gives? Is it just not possible or am I missing the correct ratio of fruit…regardless nothing happens not even a scrap result…at least a disgusting outcome would inform me it’s possible with the right ratio. Currently
I can’t justify eating anything besides. Bread or pig/springbok meat

SegaPhoenix

Dec 14, 2021
I've had the same epiphany after testing fully lored with the ingredients including raw and butchered fish with 100 in Advanced cooking and 100 in all the advanced cooking tools.

Maybe I just don't get it yet but my best recipes are those that require 1 ingredient cooked using one of the three secondary/basic cooking tools.

There's obviously other avenues to consider besides chasing big nourishment numbers like growth/shrink food, healing food, etc.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Is it me or is cooking a little one dimensional currently? Adding ingredients to make what would seem like reasonable dishes don’t seem to add much value if any. For example there’s little improvement or variation on corn bread in game seemingly? Not much fun. Is it possible to use the baking stone for more than just flour and some liquid? Just for fun I wanted to make banana bread but I can’t seem to get the baking stone to accept muse fruit into my otherwise successful cornbread…what gives? Is it just not possible or am I missing the correct ratio of fruit…regardless nothing happens not even a scrap result…at least a disgusting outcome would inform me it’s possible with the right ratio. Currently
I can’t justify eating anything besides. Bread or pig/springbok meat
Been testing a bit with a diversity of mats, cooking seems completly unbalanced. What i've found is that theres no correlation between certain items and appliances, theres a few appliances that are way superior than all the others despite the type of recipes.

Some non extracted mats have better stats than flours when cooked and nonsense shit like that. To be honest cooking is in really bad shape.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Yeah, when it's been brought up on the developer stream it's usually responded to with an acknowledgment that it needs more work, as do reserves and cooking's effect on them.

Piet

May 28, 2020
A lot of the issue is Sophistication isn't in. You can make a simple hearty meal or you can make a complicated sophisticated meal with no real stats pretty easily but it was very hard to balance in-between the two and make a high soph food with good stats.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The crafting system is way more restrictive and narrow in MO2 compared to MO1.

Can't even feed soup or flowers to horses. At least make it so that they will not like the food or refuse to eat it if it isn't the right food. But at least allow us to feed it to them.

I remember back in MO1 we could use hard or bendable materials for the weapon outer handle. Now we can only use foldable materials.

No more one-handed spears, which makes no sense. Medieval and ancient armies had soldiers using both a spear and shield at the same time.

No more holding a torch in the offhand while holding a one-handed weapon in the main hand at the same time. Makes me wonder if SV is trying to emulate the original Doom 3.

Last edited:

Piet

May 28, 2020

Can't even feed soup or flowers to horses. At least make it so that they will not like the food or refuse to eat it if it isn't the right food. But at least allow us to feed it to them.

I remember back in MO1 we could use hard or bendable materials for the weapon outer handle. Now we can only use foldable materials.

No more one-handed spears, which makes no sense. Medieval and ancient armies had soldiers using both a spear and shield at the same time.

No more holding a torch in the offhand while holding a one-handed weapon in the main hand at the same time. Makes me wonder if SV is trying to emulate the original Doom 3.
They will add back duel wielding and holding a torch in off hand but spear and shield are actually already in but you're right the crafting is simplified for a wider audience which is kinda sad. I don't think it was necessary.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021

Most of the complexities" MO1 had in crafting were placeholder mechanics. In many classes there were a lot of mats that didn't had any use whatsoever. For years despite being lots of materials, most meta crafted items would just use a handfull of materials.

That versatility that was promised wasn't real, but in that case at least opened the experimentation approach which don't really exist RN.

To be honest how it is now reflects the maturity of the team in simplifying and not filling the game with that many placeholder content like MO1.

I hope crafting Will continue to grow and get more complex and offer more alternatives but yeah cooking is bad rn.

Also soph was just a silly stat that only measured the player's wealth by accessing high soph foods, it had almost no use and it was really hard to get. In cooking soph was nothing but piling up expensive mats, it wasn't complex at all.
It could have been something but it was another placeholder mechanic, just like cooking, they didn't ever priorize" on those classes.

And yeah if they had to put one thing in game is cooking and food for pets lol, i mean no horse soup??? Thats broken

Last edited:

forcem

Apr 30, 2021
spelt and ambrosial pig, that is what cooking in MO is. A pitty, there is no point doing breads, stews... and any other eleborated dish.
I tried to ask Henrik about Sophistication on Twich but no luck.
Let's hope they have something in mind better than the old system, is really a pitty waste this clever and complex system.

BMac

Feb 6, 2022
Is ambrosial pig the same as ambrosial raw pig? Because I don't see how the numbers it's giving me are as awesome as everyone says they are.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
1) well it seems recipes like bread / soup etc, only modifies the icon & name. Some might have some effects, as i don't know all the secrets, but it should have a decent impact on the result.
2) and as long as there is no 'long term mal-nourishment' debuffs by eating the same simple food like ambrosial raw pig & spelt ... well it will stay quite limited until sophistication, if they even add uses for sophistication this time.
we should have monthly/weekly needs for certain ingredients type, like fish or vegetables/fruits or diary products ... it would certainly give cooks some work to do in every region of the game.

2) and as long as there is no 'long term mal-nourishment' debuffs by eating the same simple food like ambrosial raw pig & spelt ... well it will stay quite limited until sophistication, if they even add uses for sophistication this time.
we should have monthly/weekly needs for certain ingredients type, like fish or vegetables/fruits or diary products ... it would certainly give cooks some work to do in every region of the game.
Seems backwards. Good design doesn't penalize players for taking shortcuts, it rewards them for going out of their way. Something as simple as complex dishes allowing you to go over your normal reserve caps for example could make a world of difference.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Seems backwards. Good design doesn't penalize players for taking shortcuts,
Says who?
shortcuts can be shorter ... but at a price.
nothing is backward here. you don't seem to understand that my proposal is to add more nourishment, like protein nourishment, vitamin nourishment etc ... it would actually make the design way better, since more intricate, and it would use way more resource types ... increase collecting & trading etc.
what is terrible design is having 2 basic & cheap & easy to get ingredients, to craft the best stuff ... putting 99% of ingredients in total uselessness.