Combat pet AI is completely broken making tamer gameplay incredibly disappointing

WhiteGlint

Mar 28, 2021
When commanded to attack, pets will very often run up to the target and get stuck, unable to attack. You can try to command to follow or stay and then command to attack again and sometimes it fixes it, but too often they still stand there doing nothing. I've tried bears, razorbacks, wolves and terror birds, all of them are affected by this. Seems to happen more often in PvE, but also occurs against players sometimes.

I lost a lvl 125 bear today because over the course of three minutes of me spamming commands, it attacked a terror bird a single time. I ran out of mana healing it and then tried to run, but the bear couldn't outrun a terror bird. I'm not too upset about this loss in this prewipe phase as I was just trying out different things before launch. But after such a large time investment training it, losing it to such a silly bug is a huge turn off for playing a tamer come launch. This bug has been around for a while, but it's never been so horrible in the past.

Just a word of warning to any prospective tamers and letting SV know this bug should be looked into if using combat pets is going to be a realistic way to play the game come launch.

Kovah Temsik

May 3, 2021
Nodelines and pets not being able to correctly distance themselves for attacks are the two things that make me very very wary of playing a tamer. I'm still planning to do it with my human hybrid but I probably wont be paying for any extra sub time if it's not fixed.

WhiteGlint

Mar 28, 2021
Nodelines and pets not being able to correctly distance themselves for attacks are the two things that make me very very wary of playing a tamer.
After experimenting with it the last few weeks, I definitely don't think it's worth it if you're interested in using pets for combat. I'll still be playing the game, just not as a tamer. I'm sure they will fix it eventually, but in this state it's a very frustrating experience.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
It will take them years to fix this, just like it took them years to (sort of) fix it in MO1. Pets, and pet pathing, was alway atrocious. They only kind of got it right at the end with necromancy pets, and then everyone complained that they were OP.

its gonna be a long very bumpy road for tamers.

Pepecovfefe

Jan 5, 2022
I want to go pure beast master as either avaren or human. The only thing stopping me from making my decision is the node line issue... This really shouldn't be a issue in 2022.. Especially given that the devs have had all the time since MO1 TO FIX ALL THE ISSUES.

Cruor

Sep 14, 2021
I agree that pets need some fixes in AI, fixes going over node lines, and need a "travel speed" in order to keep up with mounts.... but I don't understand the obsession so many people have with them, they just wont give up on it. Like they just suck atm but people still want to use them. If nobody uses pets (other than horses) they will take notice and make changes.