CM's Role

• Thread starter Deleted member 44
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 44

I just recived some pretty interesting information. The CM manager named Robmo, a player himself recieves all hack/exploit reports before he sends them to the GMs. How? Just how is this a thing SV? Do you not see the massive conflict on interest this creates? Player reports of abuse should be directly going to the GMs, not the CM.

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
What if his interest is a exploit free game? I mean if my friends were cheating I would try and not just get their mortal account banned but their steam as well.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
If he is just getting informed directly by players and passing it on I see no issue with it.

Seeing his job is to be a link with players to SV.

However, I do not think he should have access to or be in charge of any other forms of such reporting.

Reactions: Najwalaylah
D

Deleted member 44

He is deciding on what to pass to the GMs. There is no point in him doing this.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Community manager roles do more than just sit in discord. Aside from being the communication line between community & developers; Their roles typically involve dealing with and managing social platforms(forums, steam forums etc), writing up blogs and other news related posts, dealing with ban/exploit reports and pushing to the right places etc

Community managers typically also have a direct line to EAC tools to check for alternate accounts or account status with EAC(Account flagging etc).

This is pretty much industry standard for CM's. A lot of CM's play the games they're involved with too, also not uncommon. If a CM is serious about his/her role, they'll remain as professional as possible and not form a bias when doing their duties.

GM's playing the game they're policing is a different story, due to the more general insight and actual in-game power they have with the game.

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Hey, I understand the concern but I do not bar videos based on my choices. I send everything to the GMs even if I don't think its an issue (cause I can't tell). The closest thing ive done to not send something to a GM was have a back and forth with a player what might be happening, but I send it regardless. Its a process to simply try to understand what we are seeing on a video, etc.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I'd have to agree, giving a player the ability to sort player reports is extremely careless and un-professional. I do not particularly doubt of Robmo but this is a really bad thing to do. It only reminds me when MO1 had player GMs.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
I'd have to agree, giving a player the ability to sort player reports is extremely careless and un-professional. I do not particularly doubt of Robmo but this is a really bad thing to do. It only reminds me when MO1 had player GMs.
Something to keep in mind is that these reports don't go exclusively to me, they just do sometimes. I always tell players to send it to GMs as well, but if it comes to me, i can directly give it to LGM Discord

SirTexasSir

Jan 29, 2022
Community manager roles do more than just sit in discord. Aside from being the communication line between community & developers; Their roles typically involve dealing with and managing social platforms(forums, steam forums etc), writing up blogs and other news related posts, dealing with ban/exploit reports and pushing to the right places etc

Community managers typically also have a direct line to EAC tools to check for alternate accounts or account status with EAC(Account flagging etc).

This is pretty much industry standard for CM's. A lot of CM's play the games they're involved with too, also not uncommon. If a CM is serious about his/her role, they'll remain as professional as possible and not form a bias when doing their duties.

GM's playing the game they're policing is a different story, due to the more general insight and actual in-game power they have with the game.
GM's play the game too. I have been a GM in another game and I had an alt account for GM duties and had to be online with that account for so many hours a day/week. Most the time I just had it log on another computer so that if something arissed in chat or reports I needed to deal with than I could do so without it effecting my playing account. Though on that game your where GM of the faction you played in so you couldn't get info from other factions and use that in game. That game also logged very thing so if there was any abuse the devs could look at players and GM's accounts to make sure every thing was within the rules.

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
MO GMs don’t play, for good reasons. This is a single world where players can be very invested. Even just using GM tools to scout would be devastating to trust.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
GM's play the game too. I have been a GM in another game and I had an alt account for GM duties and had to be online with that account for so many hours a day/week. Most the time I just had it log on another computer so that if something arissed in chat or reports I needed to deal with than I could do so without it effecting my playing account. Though on that game your where GM of the faction you played in so you couldn't get info from other factions and use that in game. That game also logged very thing so if there was any abuse the devs could look at players and GM's accounts to make sure every thing was within the rules.
It's highly dependent on the game and it's make-up. Games like MO where knowledge is power, GM's are typically not active gamers of said game. Typically GM's are hired and don't play the game, but are informed what the game entails or Developers will hire from third party companies(Like they can do for QA Staff if needed)

Mortal Online(1) had a few instances of corrupt GM'S abusing the tools/account provided to them. Player GM's don't fit too well in the context of a sandbox MMO in a single server like MO.