Clade Gifts - a small change

Move specific (weapon) skills to T3 lvl?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
Some races have clades that boost very specific skills, for example a specific weapon skill. The issue is that these are often T2 CGs. This will sometimes result in getting 2 different weapon skills to get to the T3 level. Besides being suboptimal for skilling in general it also imposes a bad feeling to take that CG, which will be pointless for your playstyle.

In order to avoid getting unecessary CGs i propose to move the weapon CGs to the T3 lvl.

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
The trees are very disjointed in some cases - the gifts can stay but the progression needs to make logical sense. If that means making more, smaller trees, or fewer, larger trees for some clades then that's what should be done. It does feel like a monumental waste and effectively gives a gift twice the cost as the precursor is something you have no intention of using in your build.

Gifts are still missing meaningful descriptions as well which makes value judgments impossible. Knockback resistance? Well if I don't know how much I can't weigh that decision against other gifts.

Other ways to do it would be to change the tiers into x points required, so you are free to choose from any of the first tier gifts to unlock second tier, and subsequently third tier. Complete freedom to choose the gifts you like.

This would inevitably result in certain 'Junk' gifts which are the least useful always being avoided but assuming gift selections are monitored would give perfect metrics to feed back to the balance/development pipeline to make these less useless.

It's not all about utility either; if you want to allocate them based upon character/racial theme (I'm looking at you human temperate resistances and forcing pilfering to become better at magic) this becomes impossible with the current structures.

This has all been said before though so enough pearls for now.

Reactions: EZgold and Branjolf