Can we buff fit/lean/skinny etc?

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Best post here. Play on the "paper mage" trope and make lower weights give Int instead of the highest weights. Make the heaviest hitting mages have to really risk their lives in return for power, but still able to keep a solid distance via speed.

To round it out, remove the Int bonus from high weights, give Obese more health than Bulging, and make weight gain above Stout purely a matter of a greater and greater health pool at the cost of Str/Con/Dex/Stam.

On Lean/Fit/Stout, I think their current balance is just fine. Further modification past the above would just lead to a different weight class replacing Stout as the standard, which just moves this thread from "Why can I only play Stout?" to "Why can I only play Fit/Lean/etc.?"

Better off just looking at why specific races aren't doing well/are doing too well and solving it at the source than trying to fix racial balance by changing things that impact all races. That just leads to most races being in the unusable bin like we had in Mortal Online (1).

Getting rid of int/psyche bonuses for bulging/obese recreates the same problem facing skinny/bony, just on the other end. Without the int, nobody would ever go obese or bulging. The int bonuses (but not necessarily the psyche, since lower weights also get a dex bonus) should be the same for both groups. This allows for more than 1 pure mage play style. You can either go the tanky, high hp nuker or the speedy, avoidance-based nuker.

All weight classes need to have viability, but right now they do not. Relatedly, they should just abolish skeletal.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Complete aside here, but I recall someone taking about how MC ain't fair and you gotta be an elf to turn your horse. Yooo, I got on a horse for the first time on my lean 7day Khur... 100 str isn't really enough for MC (or is it?? :O), but it's def enough for a crep... and OMG. The turns. INSANITY. So if you wanna know somewhere that you would benefit from being a lean khur, it's right there. You don't get the ability to use really good bows, but you get a lil more str and a lot more con for tankiness. INTERESTING!

also ALL WEIGHT CLASSES need to be viable on one char build at least, I'd agree there. I don't think they need to be raw viable in every circumstance, tho. I think Obese should give CON. haha. Introducing FATDWARFS. Less than lean might not give you int, but it should give more psyche than it does. If you wanna keep it real, cuz it takes WILLPOWER to be on that Gandhi shit.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Best post here. Play on the "paper mage" trope and make lower weights give Int instead of the highest weights. Make the heaviest hitting mages have to really risk their lives in return for power, but still able to keep a solid distance via speed.

To round it out, remove the Int bonus from high weights, give Obese more health than Bulging, and make weight gain above Stout purely a matter of a greater and greater health pool at the cost of Str/Con/Dex/Stam.

On Lean/Fit/Stout, I think their current balance is just fine. Further modification past the above would just lead to a different weight class replacing Stout as the standard, which just moves this thread from "Why can I only play Stout?" to "Why can I only play Fit/Lean/etc.?"

Better off just looking at why specific races aren't doing well/are doing too well and solving it at the source than trying to fix racial balance by changing things that impact all races. That just leads to most races being in the unusable bin like we had in Mortal Online (1).

I hate it, that health is increased with weight. Weight should provide mitigation boni and not health boni imo.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021

Eh, no? The problem is fit minus takes away so much and not giving much in return. Either DEX should be buffed to match it or the weight class. And i personally don't like the idea of giving it lots of INT because that wouldn't do much for non-mage clades that have dex as their selling attribute, like the khurite, and footfighter builds would still have only one viable weight class.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Complete aside here, but I recall someone taking about how MC ain't fair and you gotta be an elf to turn your horse. Yooo, I got on a horse for the first time on my lean 7day Khur... 100 str isn't really enough for MC (or is it?? :O), but it's def enough for a crep... and OMG. The turns. INSANITY. So if you wanna know somewhere that you would benefit from being a lean khur, it's right there. You don't get the ability to use really good bows, but you get a lil more str and a lot more con for tankiness. INTERESTING!

also ALL WEIGHT CLASSES need to be viable on one char build at least, I'd agree there. I don't think they need to be raw viable in every circumstance, tho. I think Obese should give CON. haha. Introducing FATDWARFS. Less than lean might not give you int, but it should give more psyche than it does. If you wanna keep it real, cuz it takes WILLPOWER to be on that Gandhi shit.
Nah. Lean alv still can use better bows, have even better turns, have more health and can add magic on top of it all to heal the horsie. Simply a better pick period.

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Eh, no? The problem is fit minus takes away so much and not giving much in return. Either DEX should be buffed to match it or the weight class. And i personally don't like the idea of giving it lots of INT because that wouldn't do much for non-mage clades that have dex as their selling attribute, like the khurite, and footfighter builds would still have only one viable weight class.

Underweight should be buffed to incentivize dex builds away from lean/fit/stout while leaving skinny and bony to mages.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
These are the same thing, potentially. Health scales worse than percent-based damage mitigation or somewhat equally with flat damage mitigation.

it would open a new possibility for fine tuning class balance, without the adjust-health-hammer. Which is lazy design imo.