Can ether lore and taming be made into profession skills?

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
Currently both are primary skills with no combat utility unlike the rest of action skills.
Ether lore somewhat made sense because of the scouting utility, but with that gutted, it's a skill that exists entirely to farm spirits and fluxes. The little utility it does give (being able to come out of portals) doesn't really do anything to help with combat that I can think of.
And it's the same with taming, it gives no combat utility to a character, it entirely exists to make money off of selling pets on the broker or providing yourself with horses (which requires little/no point investment, so I'm speaking more for those with 100 points).

In their current state this design decision encourages people to make second characters (or put these skills on their alts) in order to be able to fully invest their points in combat utility skills. Which I don't think is an intentional design decision considering this game encourages you to play a single character.

The worst part with ether lore is how much money goes into getting it, so for some (myself included) I feel like I can't drop it. So I'm just stuck on a mage with -81 action points. Which doesn't feel good.

Just food for thought.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I agree that splitting taming and dominating is a stupid system. It should be the same skill. Just a complete waste of primary skill points for absolutely no reason. They do the same friken thing. Either make one into a secondary or just merge them into one skill.

I guess ether lore comes in handy in siege situation where you want to banish enemy ghosts and stuff, but yea otherwise its pretty much a separate minigame to farm gold.

Reactions: Shoesoft

Shoesoft

Jan 13, 2023
Taming as a Profession skill, never thought about it, might certainly work out. Maybe could even move some other stuff from Domestication there, I mean also just fits better semantically.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I don´t agree. If Taming would be a profession, we would have pokemon online. Everyone with a pet. Even Footfighters with pets.

What i can recommend is to get 1 point in ritualism and 1 point in Necromany, so you can revive your horse after PVP, or after your horse died in the wilderness. It would be nice if we could stack ritual tables, so we can store more of them in the bank.

• Sad
Reactions: Aesir

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
I don´t agree. If Taming would be a profession, we would have pokemon online. Everyone with a pet. Even Footfighters with pets.

What i can recommend is to get 1 point in ritualism and 1 point in Necromany, so you can revive your horse after PVP, or after your horse died in the wilderness. It would be nice if we could stack ritual tables, so we can store more of them in the bank.
That's just not true though.
It's not taming that allows you to have pets, it's creature control. Footies still won't have points for CC + ACC + Herding.
Anyone can buy a tamed pet on the broker without taming itself. You don't need it for the combat utility, just to get it without buying it off the broker.
You do not need taming to have pets in combat.

So what exactly are you trying to say? 'cause I don't bother to tame my own horses already, but I still ride around on one somehow.

That's why I'm arguing it's a profession skill, it gives you the option to get a pet. Just like weapon crafting gives you the option to get a weapon. But neither give you the ability to use them. That's what's important here, the ability to use them.

Because if you have 100 points in taming, and 0 in CC + ACC + Herding, you get 0 combat utility from taming.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
It's not taming that allows you to have pets, it's creature control. Footies still won't have points for CC + ACC + Herding.
Anyone can buy a tamed pet on the broker without taming itself. You don't need it for the combat utility, just to get it without buying it off the broker.

So what exactly are you trying to say? 'cause I don't bother to tame my own horses already, but I still ride around on one somehow.

You cam make a melee with a pet. For sure with soem drawbacks, but they are a pain to fight.
They need to slow down the animation of Taur dogs a bit and make the direwolves have the same animations. They attack way too fast.

Last edited:

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
You cna make a melee with a pet, for sure with soem drawbacks, but they are a pain to fight.
They need to slow down the animation of Taur dogs a bit and make the direwolves have the same animations. They attack way too fast.
You are not reading the words I'm typing.

Taming does not let you use pets.

Creature control, advanced creature control, and herding do.

That's why taming should be a profession, and CC + ACC + Herding should remain action points.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020

That's why I'm arguing it's a profession skill, it gives you the option to get a pet. Just like weapon crafting gives you the option to get a weapon. But neither give you the ability to use them. That's what's important here, the ability to use them.

Because if you have 100 points in taming, and 0 in CC + ACC + Herding, you get 0 combat utility from taming.
You have to keep in mind we get breeding, so we can breed a
stallion and a mare without having the taming skill in future.

Maybe your stats could increase taming to 15, so you only need a few points to get 31 for taming a horse or som but it shoudl be a primary.

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
You have to keep in mind we get breeding, so we can breed a
stallion and a mare without having the taming skill in future.
You have to keep in mind both should be profession skills in the future because neither give you combat utility.

Neither give you the ability to use them in combat.

That's CC + ACC + Herding. Which are and should remain action points.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
You have to keep in mind both should be profession skills in the future because neither give you combat utility.

Neither give you the ability to use them in combat.

That's CC + ACC + Herding. Which are and should remain action points.

Maybe your stats could increase taming to 15 or even 20 Points, so you only need a few points to get 31 for taming a horse, but in my opinion it should remain a primary. I don´t have any points for taming and i feel the pain, but if everyone have taming it could destoy the market for horses.

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
Maybe your stats could increase taming to 15 or even 20 Points, so you only need a few points to get 31 for taming a horse, but in my opinion it should remain a primary. I don´t have any points for taming and i feel the pain, but if everyone have taming it could destoy the market for horses.
Why would that destroy the market for horses?

As I made my point before, anyone who wants to tame, does so on a secondary account or alt.

As it ruins their characters by forcing you to take a skill, that only gives you the option to make money, and offers no combat utility.

Action skills should be skills that offer combat utility. Which taming is not.

Destroying the horse market, which it would not even do, is not proper justification for taxing players who use tames even more, with non-combat utility action skills. If that's the case then we should turn weapon smithing into an action skill, not a profession skill, because it's apparently destroying the weapon market.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Why would that destroy the market for horses?

As I made my point before, anyone who wants to tame, does so on a secondary account or alt.

As it ruins their characters by forcing you to take a skill, that only gives you the option to make money, and offers no combat utility.

Action skills should be skills that offer combat utility. Which taming is not.

Destroying the horse market, which it would not even do, is not proper justification for taxing players who use tames even more, with non-combat utility action skills. If that's the case then we should turn weapon smithing into an action skill, not a profession skill, because it's apparently destroying the weapon market.

With Taming being a secondary the tamer have 100 more points to spend. This make meelee Builds with taming possible. It would be better if your stats rise taming to 20 + points, so the remaining 80 points cost the tamer still some action points. This change would not influence other builds too much, so they not loose much combat utility. Fot taming a horse you only need 31 points

Last edited:

Aesir

Feb 28, 2022
With Taming being a secondary the tamer have 100 more points to spend. This make meelee Builds with taming possible. It would be better if your stats rise taming to 20 + points, so the remaining 80 points cost the tamer some action points. This change would not influence other builds too much, so they not loose much combat utility.
It's 100 free points. 100 points will effect anyones combat utility.

Your point is nonsensical.

Why not give everyone a 100 point tax in that case?

It's a profession skill that provides no combat utility, therefore it should take profession points.

It's that simple. All your points are arbitrary and hurt a playstyle you do not even indulge in.

Tamers get around it by being forced to have 2 accounts, one that has taming with CC + ACC + Herding. Then one without taming and still CC + ACC + Herding. It's ridiculous.