Bring RED back - 2 fractions.

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
Hello,

I decided to write a new thread to have it all in one place (deleted the previous one). I just learned a bit more about the game.

Decent people support bringing red nicks back, but there is one very important issue that was explained to me by Jackdstripper:
In the case of guild wars, we have a problem with the criminal system because players unjustly become criminals = red nicks.

The solution for that is:
Let them sign a charter (eg: 4h or whatever). All members of one guild and the second (or more) are immune to the criminal system (only each other and except cities, ofc) for the time established by the charter.

Benefits:
- easy to code
- we do NOT need any instances for guild wars

2 FRACTIONS IN MORTAL 2 ONLINE:

Bringing red nicks back will naturally divide people into 2 fractions which would be wonderful and gives the game fresh air.
There will be "blue-nicks" supporting each other and "red-nicks" (maybe supporting each other as well after some time).
"Red-nicks" would be attacked in towns by guards BUT they could have their own bandit towns - of course with NO GUARDS. Let them slaughter each other as they love it, don't they? The reward for being a bandit could be not being attacked by some bandit NPCs around the world, but attacked by guards in the towns.

Should they lose stats for red-nicks?
In my opinion not, why? They should be marked for society (red nicks), should lose access to normal towns, lose protection from guards in their own bandit towns, and can be killed by blue-nicks in the wild without any consequences as we kill pigs in towns.

How to stop them if they have nothing to lose? Full red, no further consequences for killing players due to the criminal system:
For each report at a priest, one NCP mercenary should start to hunt them like in Assassin's Creed and fully loot them in case of death. Players (blue and red nicks) should have such a possibility as well in return for rewards. The reward for red players should be smaller because the corrupted liaison (in bandit towns) will take his share of receiving heads in blue towns.

Red-nicks should have the possibility to corrupt guards in blue towns (pay some gold - not too much - 100?), but still could be killed by blue-nicks with impunity there.

I do not know if red-nicks should become blue again - I leave this issue for now. But I am sure - not easily.

Thank you all!
BLUE NICK:)

Last edited:

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
I love having red names.
but I feel a charter is a little too... complicated? I'd rather have just - no ability to report murderers in war.... BUT i'll admit i am behind in how wars work. Are we still on the system where both guilds have to agree to a war?
Then comes the age-old problem of blue-blockers, the unguilded just to grief... I suppose the "no criminal action toggle" defeats that, i'm also against that horrific option, but offer no alternative idea.

I think going the NPC bounty hunter route is moving away from the games.... idk, trajectory? focus? ideals? idk
They've already went thru the trouble of adding a bounty hunter system that involved getting the player base to police itself. I think the right angle would be to try to evolve that idea/ greatly improve upon it.
I believe the major complaint from bounty hunters is the distance-to-target. Fixed by splitting the map (probably easier but worse idea) OR the code recognizing the meters to target and putting a cap on it.
I'm unaware of any complaints from murderers of the current hunter system.

And let's expand on the murder count idea. Somehow more murders should make the red easier to hunt.
Multiple PC bounty hunters able to target one PC murderer?
More accurate location info to hunters?
Dare i suggest a buff to hunters only against the murderer PCs?
idk

Reds 'corrupting' guards with payoffs sounds like a great application of the Negotiation and like skills!!!! As long as it is monetarily crippling to keep going for any length of time.

Also believe red players need a path to become blue again. And these parcel deliveries is... just ridiculous. I just wish i had a better idea.

Aeon

Dec 9, 2022
I did and it wasn't satisfactory, if you expect everybody who provided feedback in the last thread to do it again here just so you can have your "piece" at the top you're delusional, grow up

Aeon

Dec 9, 2022
After further thought red tags should stay "as-is" and remain reserved for guild wars.

This isn't a "one side vs the other side" game, as a sandbox players are better served creating their own factions through guild wars and the reputation system as opposed to an arbitrarily imposed faction (which isn't player-driven content and goes against the core vision). This is why the items NPCs sell are systemically removed once added to genuine game mechanics, players should mould the world. RPKing also seems a lot less frequent with the current system in place, it also fosters better relationships between players rather than simply labelling somebody as "red" and "evil", without consideration the circumstances. The current system also fits the game's lore.

What difference does it make whether it's crossed swords or a red tag when both instantiate within the same network proximity? Development time should continue to be spent on the reputation system, polishing this system would remediate the issues and this is where the time should continue to be spent.

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
This isn't a "one side vs the other side" game
Ofc it is - only you cannot perceive it. It is not in theory, it is in practice.

The same as most people cannot perceive there are classes in Mortal 2 that officially do not exist. But only a wise eye can see it makes no sense to create Thursar mage or transform your Thursar warrior to a mage later, if you do not like the footman fighting style.

Only Albion Online is a fully classless game, in which two naked characters are exactly the same and equal to each other. And the only contributing factor determining their classes - is the gear (exactly skills from it).

Aeon

Dec 9, 2022
Not sure how what you said is relevant or clear.

One thing is clear though, dev time shouldn't be wasted on things that 1) aren't broken and 2) are already being improved via holistic game mechanics that integrate with the rest of the game

Blackdoll

Dec 3, 2022
Not sure how what you said is relevant or clear.

The Game is fine. Do not bother with that I have written about hidden classes.

The only thing IMO should be changed is UI. Swapping weapons is bad. Sometimes "I take out" bare hands.
If I have a drawn bow and press dagger, I expect the game to swap it. Not to use 2 buttons.

If I have holstered dagger and press a dagger I expect to draw the dagger, not bare hands. That is really bad in this game and it's easy to fix.
If I have a drawn dagger and press the icon with dagger - I expect to sheath it. Press again - draw.
Bare hands should have a separate bind.

It's enough that I have to fight with players/mobs why fight with UI, yet?