Bows and strength

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
I'm still trying to work out why bow use is tied to strength?

It seems that it is intended for anyone with strength as main stat can either main with a bow or have it as a secondary and do really good damage at good range in either case.

So what characters don't have any strength? You only need about 70 str to use a decent short bow which makes it the most accessible weapon in the game. And that seems quite imbalanced to me. Even the purest Melee can afford a few points in archery and access reasonable ranged damage.

Turd

Jan 27, 2022
Someone will reply and claim "realism" because bows are hard to pull irl.
It's a stupid argument when there's magic and trolls running around.

Most mmo base archery off dexterity/coordination which makes more sense for balance and class diversity.
Currently all melee can use a bow to full potential, it's like a 2 for 1 build.
Hell I'm playing mage and will use shortbow/MA to grind clade xp before dropping those skills and lowering strength.

Maybe this will change when they fix archery subskills so playing ranged requires more primary point investment to be effective.
Add a Fletching skill under Controlled Aiming or Markmanship giving access to higher damage arrows (and nerf store purchased arrows)

Reactions: Atom

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Someone will reply and claim "realism" because bows are hard to pull irl.
It's a stupid argument when there's magic and trolls running around.

Most mmo base archery off dexterity/coordination which makes more sense for balance and class diversity.
Currently all melee can use a bow to full potential, it's like a 2 for 1 build.
Hell I'm playing mage and will use shortbow/MA to grind clade xp before dropping those skills and lowering strength.

Maybe this will change when they fix archery subskills so playing ranged requires more primary point investment to be effective.
Add a Fletching skill under Controlled Aiming or Markmanship giving access to higher damage arrows (and nerf store purchased arrows)
Realism argument was a counter to larpers saying that dexterity should be the stat because thats supposed to be realistic to the larpers.

Its STR bound for balance. I dont understand why people are so upset over needing STR to have higher power bows. Its usually the players who dont play the game well in the first place.

Foundry

Feb 17, 2022
They should just make archery a secondary skillset. Its clear they only want footies and mages in the game. So why trick new players into thinking they can be an archer?

And in terms of balance. This is a fantasy game, and in fantasy settings bows typically run on dex based characters for real balance and distinction between melee players. In m02 anyone can out perform a full archer because the main stat is STR. Which is ridiculous for game balance and general class distinction.

Then it get even worse when the devs try to bait you with archery skills, such as marksmanship that rely on having high dex. Which also means you are forced to use shortbows, as long bow arrows do not weakspot.

And with the game having linear item scaling Short bow > Assym(Just a bigger shortbow)> Longbow

If your not rocking a long bow, your damage is useless. Kills an entire playstyle, and rewards footies with literally everyhting. Armor,speed,ranged,melee.
Its hilariously deceptive design. But with most aspects of this game, it wouldn't be out of the norm for henrik and crew.

Turd

Jan 27, 2022
Tzone right on time. ;)
You forgot to type carebear though, slacker.

Atom

Apr 3, 2022
Yorkshire
Realism argument was a counter to larpers saying that dexterity should be the stat because thats supposed to be realistic to the larpers.

Its STR bound for balance. I dont understand why people are so upset over needing STR to have higher power bows. Its usually the players who dont play the game well in the first place.
Lol! You are literally using the realism argument (larping) to support why you think everybody and their dad should be able to use a bow.

Using str (realism) causes imbalance. Dexterity wouldn't be realistic because bowmen actually relied on super strong upper body strength. Especially longbowmen. Dexterity is the balance choice.

You're the larper, son 😂

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Foot archery is mainly only viable for PvE, in most PvP encounters it's a meme unless you're dismounting someone or it's the start of a group fight. Add too much negatives to foot archery and it'll end up like it was MO1, where only noobs larping Robin Hood will bother with it.....Until they get sick of dying and realize the points are a wasted investment for something with a very niche use. Well unless SV somehow breaks bow balance with no stam machine gun bows that happened in MO1 for a while.

All SV need to do is add fletching, nerf vendor arrows and maybe increase piercing resistance on some more mobs, to make certain things less viable to farm with a bow.

The game is already quite linear with character builds, removing more options for people to experiment more with, will make people get bored quicker. Solo players and small guilds already have a rough time, take away their viability to farm or counter something like a mounted, and they will stop playing.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
So what characters don't have any strength? You only need about 70 str to use a decent short bow which makes it the most accessible weapon in the game.
Mages, Hybrids.

On some heavy scale or carapace armor a crepite shortbow will do probably 10-15 damage. A 123 longbow is somewhere between 30 and 40 damage. So there is also a great damage difference between different bows.

adrelik

Feb 8, 2022
Surely archery tied to dex would not work.

So basically you would near enough take away archery from foot fighters (unless Alvarin). If strength based footfighters can't use longbows any more then this point alone will turn the game into kitey mounted archer online 2.

Also it would mean that Dex mages can now use the best bows which is ridiculous when a footfighter can't.

Even then the new fangled dex based foot archers would realise they still do shit damage vs plate armour then complain about that too.

I am new to this game but realised pretty quickly that archery is a complimentary skill for A) dismounting players with longbows B) putting pressure on enemies at range C) PvE.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I'm still trying to work out why bow use is tied to strength?

It seems that it is intended for anyone with strength as main stat can either main with a bow or have it as a secondary and do really good damage at good range in either case.

So what characters don't have any strength? You only need about 70 str to use a decent short bow which makes it the most accessible weapon in the game. And that seems quite imbalanced to me. Even the purest Melee can afford a few points in archery and access reasonable ranged damage.

Have you ever tried to draw a bow in real life? Not a compound bow with all of the pulleys to make it easy. But a real bow, bows are not easy to draw and aim. A proper English Longbow had an average draw weight of 180lb. I struggled to draw a 80lb draw bow when I was in shape, I know a couple of people who can draw a 150-180lb draw... and they are not small men.

Archery is about strength not so much about dexterity. Swords I could see being more dexterity based, as most swords rarely weighed more than 5-6lbs and are pretty easy to swing just require dexterity to properly use.

Reactions: Midkemma and Atom