Book reading time

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
One of the most complained things amongst veterans in the first game, was how tedious certain elements of MO1 was. The amount of "AFK" gameplay was taking it's toll on the players(especially after 10 years), even more so as the game expanded and more was added. Now with the world being 6x that of the original, everything is a major time investment, and not too much has changed to accommodate this change. This is excluding additional tedium from game related issues, like mount pathing, the new sliding bug where people violently vibrate then take 100s - 1000s of fall damage, node lines eating pets...Cheaters farming bosses and killing those farming them etc making the whole experience even worse and more tedious.

I will give credit with SV lowering some timers compared to the first game, and some timers aren't present(though I'm sure this will change). But we are missing basic features still, like portable machines(Crushers & Attractors), extraction queuing etc which would help negate certain aspects of tedium.

With the world being 6x larger and travel times taking 6x longer, book times of 100s of hours is absurd if there's no proper balance made else ware. All it does is add to the list of things, that increase the progression gap between the working man, casuals and neckbeards. This element will always present, as time investment pays off - But it's the small things, if balanced well that can help negate this aspect.

This isn't some Asian grindfest MMO, this isn't Wurm online, this isn't Life is Feudal MMO, where game design is focused around grind progression and time investment being a huge element of the overall gameplay. SV has acknowledged a lot of times, that MO1 was almost like a second job and changes were going to be made, to reduce this aspect for MO2.....but as we can very well much see, not a lot has been done in this aspect.

Reading your first message on these forums, gives a good grasp on the type of gameplay you're after. Which is why you disregard everything.
"Reading a good book while mining is one of the great MMO experiences! So happy to have it realized again in this game."
Read my post history as much as you like! You will learn lots over the ensuing years if you keep at it.

You have a bunch of great ideas in that post! I support most of them and it sounds like we generally have a similar vision for the game. Especially regarding bugs and cheaters. This thread is about reading though:

- you don’t have to wait ANY time after unlocking a skill to use it, you can inject the skill book, delete it immediately and use the skill without any wait

- reading isn’t the only way to progress a skill, you gain skill exp by using it

- reading actually REDUCES the gap between filthy casuals and dirty neckbeards, I can start reading a book, log out, and still come back after a weekend of ice fishing to skill gains

- books vary in cost, rarity, location and time to read and this can be further modified by character build, these are ‘fun’ and ‘interesting’ character development aspects

- skills vary in effect and ‘importance’, some are build breaking, some are nice to haves, some just gotta be 100, some are left below max to prioritize points elsewhere, some skills are secondaries that never leave that character

Tl;dr reading times of hundreds of hours are just fine and overall are a positive addition to the game and not a detractor

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
- you don’t have to wait ANY time after unlocking a skill to use it, you can inject the skill book, delete it immediately and use the skill without any wait

- reading isn’t the only way to progress a skill, you gain skill exp by using it
Wrong
In order to progress most crafting skills you have to skill up a parent skill , often this parent skill gains very little progress or just cant be skilled up by action and has to be read completely. In MO1 it was even possible to completely gimp your character if you wanted to skip on some reading time.
- books vary in cost, rarity, location and time to read and this can be further modified by character build, these are ‘fun’ and ‘interesting’ character development aspects
Tl;dr reading times of hundreds of hours are just fine and overall are a positive addition to the game and not a detractor
Wrong
The aquiring aspect of the books is what you describe not the time gate reading time after aquiring the book.
It is nice to have some skills that are locked behind boss encounters almost like quests but not having to wait 300+ hours after having done that quest.

good progression = i know what to do in order to progress and i can see my progress

bad progression =
time gates, book reading time of 48h+, skills locked behind one or two parents that have to be read and cant be manually leveled.
luck based progression with chance to get absolutely nothing (risar books)
Since they have split the risar lores into 10+ books its almost impossible to get the ones you want on your crafter and they only spawn if NOBODY has done the dungeon in hours. This thread is about book reading times so i wont get into more detail about risar lore books.

D

Dracu

to the guys saying its fine.... i see you guys havent leveled (maxed out) refining yet
You have to read out this book, no action while leveling BS cause XP gain on this skill is 100% an absolute joke at its current state

every book refining & appliance related is so horrendous...
some are ez but some are just... ridiculous.

Ichorous

May 28, 2020
I'd settle for some way of figuring out how long a book will take to read before we slot it. Like, a page count or something.

Reactions: Najwalaylah