Bloat - Fixing food/cooking

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
There isn't enough reasons to eat any food that isnt just THE best stam/health/mana food which are boring one-ingredient dishes.

I suggest Bloat to be a stat in addition to the ones we already have for food.

Atm each unit of food that you eat removes 6 hunger, which would represent 6 Bloat with my idea.
One ingredient dishes should instead have 25 Bloat and each ingredient you add gives it -1 Bloat.
In addition, whenever you make food that changes the icon to special dishes such as bread/pie etc. it further subtracts bonus Bloat.

This would result in a few things:

• More complex dishes would be required to not lose all your hunger, especially if you die a lot
  • Even 'normal' food would have higher bloat than we have now, so picking it carefully is important
  • 100 units of stam food plus 100 units of hp food, would be much less hunger efficient than a 100 units of a dish with both, so full meals are suddenly valuable compared to pure one nourshment focused foods.
  • salt, pepper and herbs would be nice additions to any dish to lower Bloat

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
No food buffs, plz. The best food isn't the best, you gotta cut. Pirum + something else stammy w/ no health is prol the best stam food. Absolute 0 health stam food is a must imo, for 'the best of the best.' Fried bok is like 32-15 and baked is 30-22. That matters, too. It's all trash, tho, because it doesn't seem like anything I've found is doing any extra work. Cream helps for cutting stam food but it raises HP a lot.

I think I might try to make some HoT food. I think the ingredients are in the game. That's basically it, just lack of things. Lack of modifiers and lack of things that even have the proper base stats. I mean some of the meats tend towards stam or mana, and it's like ?? My mind (cuz I'm a nerd) spins at thinking of how to make them 'optimal,' but I don't think there is a way to build nourishment, cuz you couldn't really do it in 1, either. That's why soph was good cuz it was unrelated. You either get the soph or you don't. Make a soph fat food or a soph stam food and that's GG. It will be judged by it's soph number AND stam number. That's what's missing.

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
There are many things we could add to cooking and sophistication is definitely one of them, but right now in SV's dev cycle they don't have time to put in that entire system, because then it would become yet another half done system that relies on another half done system.

My suggestion is a very quick fix that would at least make the nourishment part of cooking actually worth investing in without overcomplicating things too much.

Basically, it would fix was it currently missing, isntead of adding a bunch of extra on top when the foundation is flawed to begin with.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
There are many things we could add to cooking and sophistication is definitely one of them, but right now in SV's dev cycle they don't have time to put in that entire system, because then it would become yet another half done system that relies on another half done system.

My suggestion is a very quick fix that would at least make the nourishment part of cooking actually worth investing in without overcomplicating things too much.

Basically, it would fix was it currently missing, isntead of adding a bunch of extra on top when the foundation is flawed to begin with.

It wasn't flawed per se. It wouldn't fix the issue, either, arguably, because the as a cook, IMO, I don't want there to be a meta food.

The reserve systems are off atm. The biggest issue is that there is nothing I've seen that multiplies nourishment like I want it to. Like, you can't take something and make a 30 fat 100 stam food. Well, you might be able to, but you'd be dumping massive oil. Everything when combined gets lesser. Cutting food is still something essential, too.

Your system sounds like it could get fucky, too. GM help my bloat won't go away! It's all changes. I just wish they would put more mats in the game and stop putting in fish that are better than cooked food.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021

I rather see an attempt to remake cooking as a whole working package, i don't think minor changes will work, thinking the game development in SVs terms Is bad for the game.

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
It wasn't flawed per se. It wouldn't fix the issue, either, arguably, because the as a cook, IMO, I don't want there to be a meta food.

The reserve systems are off atm. The biggest issue is that there is nothing I've seen that multiplies nourishment like I want it to. Like, you can't take something and make a 30 fat 100 stam food. Well, you might be able to, but you'd be dumping massive oil. Everything when combined gets lesser. Cutting food is still something essential, too.

Your system sounds like it could get fucky, too. GM help my bloat won't go away! It's all changes. I just wish they would put more mats in the game and stop putting in fish that are better than cooked food.

To clarify, bloat is just a stat to show how hunger efficient the food is, not a stat characters have.

My system would literally fix what you described. The reason people only get food with extreme amounts of ONE type of noursihment is so they can manange them one at a time, but Bloat would make it less hunger efficient to do that.

A meal with 100 Units of 15 Hp Nour and 50 Stam Nour would be more hunger efficient than 50 units of stam food and 50 of hp food.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
To clarify, bloat is just a stat to show how hunger efficient the food is, not a stat characters have.

My system would literally fix what you described. The reason people only get food with extreme amounts of ONE type of noursihment is so they can manange them one at a time, but Bloat would make it less hunger efficient to do that.

A meal with 100 Units of 15 Hp Nour and 50 Stam Nour would be more hunger efficient than 50 units of stam food and 50 of hp food.

I just don't like it because I know how trash the cooking system already is. It should be about more than nourishment and there should be a lot more easily achievable effects like DH or HoT if there isn't soph. I want something dynamic, not the same crap with a system that people will game slightly. It doesn't make any difference to me because it's still not thoughtful enough. There will become a meta. We need a cooking system where you can make a lot of different stuff for different reasons.

I would like there to be meal food you'd have to eat and then snack food for when you are out hunting or whatever. I heard the argument against having another empty system to manage, but I don't want it to be empty. I want it to matter. I want people who know good cooks to be better off haha. It is, after all, a system. If you know a good alchemist you are much better off. Crafter, tamer, whatever. Cook, you can prol make it yourself except for the most extreme circumstances (like where you are doing MA for hours and generate a bunch of hunger and stam loss but are right on the cusp of going over w/ health.)

I am a cook in the game and I don't eat much food. lol. It's just not really necessary to eat properly. Your suggestion, in my opinion, does not fix that.