Attack Charge Flash

May 4, 2024
This needs to be immediately removed from the game. There is no counter to this when someone spams it against you and you have high ping. The game is mechanically constructed against this being a thing. For example if you hold a block while someone is holding an attack you will receive block instead of parry causing damage to your player. If you attempt to charge a swing during this hold they can release the swing on you when you start your swing charge making you take damage and deal none. If you parry the charge and feint attack swing then the opponent is given an opportunity to parry and counter attack as well. This cycle repeats indefinitely giving you opponent essentially twice the attack chances if they hold their swing first.

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
This is why everyone spins. Its the only way to hide your attacks and confuse the opponent so they parry the wrong way.
Without spinning its a parry fest because even counters are kinda slow.

To be honest nobody fully charges a swing unless they have an axe that will do chip damage through a parry. Everyone waits to get a parry, then they spin, faint and counter.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Im guessing your talking about the blink charge? Tbh I supported this change before and on paper it was much needed to switch up the defensive meta of waiting for parrys... but after testing it damn if it aint rough on high ping.

People just hug you and get a free counter attack accel which most of the time just goes straight thru my parry, even with bleck/steel swords. With 1h hammers I might as well not have a right mouse button

To be honest nobody fully charges a swing unless they have an axe that will do chip damage through a parry. Everyone waits to get a parry, then they spin, faint and counter.

They do to get a blink charge, its pretty much a free counter attack.

May 4, 2024
Im guessing your talking about the blink charge? Tbh I supported this change before and on paper it was much needed to switch up the defensive meta of waiting for parrys... but after testing it damn if it aint rough on high ping.

People just hug you and get a free counter attack accel which most of the time just goes straight thru my parry, even with bleck/steel swords. With 1h hammers I might as well not have a right mouse button

They do to get a blink charge, its pretty much a free counter attack.
Yeap and that's exactly why I hate it. I cant fight euros. I just lose.

No surprise there though. Zero ping Lordus whispering in Henriks ear ruining the game.

Any suggestion from euros needs to be thought long and hard about.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Anything fast is extremely abusable by a high ping difference. That is why they had to slow combat speed way down and add the charging times to swings, to prevent people from just spamming quick attacks that land before the other person can even see the animation start.

But then the combat becomes too boring because everyone parrys everything….

So then they add a way to bypass the slow combat with quick blink charge.

And now people complain again about the fact that we are back to unblockable swings when high ping differential is a factor.

Moral of the story? You cant have good FPS combat without similar ping. Its just not possible. Everyone knows this, but after 14 years at it Henrik still doesn't want to accept it.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Anything fast is extremely abusable by a high ping difference. That is why they had to slow combat speed way down and add the charging times to swings, to prevent people from just spamming quick attacks that land before the other person can even see the animation start.

But then the combat becomes too boring because everyone parrys everything….

So then they add a way to bypass the slow combat with quick blink charge.

And now people complain again about the fact that we are back to unblockable swings when high ping differential is a factor.

Moral of the story? You cant have good FPS combat without similar ping. Its just not possible. Everyone knows this, but after 14 years at it Henrik still doesn't want to accept it.
Facts

Its either a good combat system or a single player server, choose one. You cant have both sadly... no matter how much ping normalization Henrik adds to the game, he cant bend the laws of physics.

Reactions: MortalEnjoyer42069

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Blink charge was SVs answer to the painfully long 1v1 TTK prior. But as soon as they released It I said it would be bad for the game. Because it would make the game even harder for solo players and small groups. Which is where the game suffers demographically.

Prior to blinkcharge a 1v2 of all experienced players had a short TTK, now it’s abysmally short. So they traded one abysmal matchup condition (1v1) for a different one (1v2).

All of this because they refuse to add cleave, mitigation, and mobility which is the tried and true method of balancing fantasy style open world fights with no group restrictions.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024
Bump. I'm not letting this issue die. I'm tired of getting dunked by low ping players that can't even block normal attacks properly but just spam blink charge to win fights. The game was better without it.

EDIT
Like seriously Henrik WTF do you expect me to do in this situation.

Hypothetical Situation:
Person starts to hold a swing on me.
Options:
1) Create space between swing holder and me.
Fails due to desync or Alvarin.
2) Charge my own attack.
Fails. I am hit when I begin my charge.
3) Run away. Figure eight.
4) Spam blocks until the swap and hopefully block the feint.
Fails. Too fast to block.
5) Wait for the feint and block at the last second.
Sometimes works, but if they are doing jump spins it's just over. Can't see anything. Sub 100 ms response time.

Fuck this change, and fuck clown ass Lordus for getting this shit in the game. Even at the last tournament the euros are laughing at how NA can't do anything against flash charge. Who won the recent tournament Henrik? Oh yeah, a zero ping player. This is an MMORPG, not a Mordhau lobby.

Last edited:

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Bump. I'm not letting this issue die. I'm tired of getting dunked by low ping players that can't even block normal attacks properly but just spam blink charge to win fights. The game was better without it.

EDIT
Like seriously Henrik WTF do you expect me to do in this situation.

Hypothetical Situation:
Person starts to hold a swing on me.
Options:
1) Create space between swing holder and me.
2) Charge my own attack.
Fails. I am hit when I begin my charge.
3) Run away. Figure eight.
4) Spam blocks until the swap and hopefully block the feint.
Fails. Too fast to block.
5) Wait for the feint and block at the last second.
Sometimes works, but if they are doing jump spins it's just over. Can't see anything. Sub 100 ms response time.

Fuck this change, and fuck clown ass Lordus for getting this shit in the game. Even at the last tournament the euros are laughing at how NA can't do anything against flash charge. Who won the recent tournament Henrik? Oh yeah, a zero ping player. This is an MMORPG, not a Mordhau lobby.

If the game had more players everyone could have their own regional servers. Many of the issues people try to tackle could be better solved by just making the game more attractive to the market. I also prefer pre-blink charge but understand that combat prior to blink charge was also not great, with TTKs exceeding 5minutes in 1v1.

May 4, 2024
If the game had more players everyone could have their own regional servers. Many of the issues people try to tackle could be better solved by just making the game more attractive to the market. I also prefer pre-blink charge but understand that combat prior to blink charge was also not great, with TTKs exceeding 5minutes in 1v1.
I hear you and agree overall. I could careless about 1v1s taking forever. The game is more than a fighter 1v1 duel sim. All people complaining about 1v1 can get bent.