Archery Mechanics

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
I found this on a MO guide:

Client-Side Hit Detection
Because Mortal Online uses client-side hit detection, this means that if the shot on your screen would hit the target, then it does! This may seem obvious, but it has some important effects on gameplay. The most important one is that as soon as your arrow is fired, it either hits or misses without giving your opponents the opportunity to avoid it during flight. If your aim is true and respects all environmental factors, even the wind, then the arrow will instantly hit your target with zero travel time. You do not need to lead targets as in some other games, and you don’t need to predict enemy movement and launch arrows ahead of them hoping that they continue in that direction and get hit. You simply release the bow when your target is at a position to be hit at that instant.

Is that correct? I knew spells were instant, but I thought arrows had a travel time which meant you had to lead your shots, and they could be dodged.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I found this on a MO guide:

Client-Side Hit Detection
Because Mortal Online uses client-side hit detection, this means that if the shot on your screen would hit the target, then it does! This may seem obvious, but it has some important effects on gameplay. The most important one is that as soon as your arrow is fired, it either hits or misses without giving your opponents the opportunity to avoid it during flight. If your aim is true and respects all environmental factors, even the wind, then the arrow will instantly hit your target with zero travel time. You do not need to lead targets as in some other games, and you don’t need to predict enemy movement and launch arrows ahead of them hoping that they continue in that direction and get hit. You simply release the bow when your target is at a position to be hit at that instant.

Is that correct? I knew spells were instant, but I thought arrows had a travel time which meant you had to lead your shots, and they could be dodged.

They do have a travel time.. arrows in game move pretty slow... about 150ft/s or about 50-60m/s. Which makes them VERY easy to dodge. Due to the nature of the netcode you just have to "wobble" step or tap A and D every so many seconds and the server will detect you moving that direction and over correct. Causing you to "jump" around on your opponents screen, this is only made worse with poor server performance. But if you see your arrow hit it hits. Same for magic.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
They do have a travel time.. arrows in game move pretty slow... about 150ft/s or about 50-60m/s. Which makes them VERY easy to dodge. Due to the nature of the netcode you just have to "wobble" step or tap A and D every so many seconds and the server will detect you moving that direction and over correct. Causing you to "jump" around on your opponents screen, this is only made worse with poor server performance. But if you see your arrow hit it hits. Same for magic.

VERY easy to dodge huh?