Add Leaderboards back

Yucko

Jan 2, 2021
Awhile back on the old-old MO website there was a link that took you to see leaderboards with info ranging from who killed the most players, to who ate the most raw food.

I think this added something to the game that is immeasurable, it was almost like a Hi-Score board with so many different things on it that anyone could set their sights on it and create a personal goal to have the number one spot for minotaur kills, or player who destroyed the most houses/keeps.

This would be the easiest piece of content you could create to keep people interested while not actually doing anything and I hope you add something like this to MO2.

Steinerr

May 29, 2020
I liked this system and i would love to see it again.

Any reasons as to why we shouldn't have this again?

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I think the only reasons I could see them not adding it is to keep information in-game relevant to being in-game rather than using meta'd information outside of it trying to compete with a spot on it? IDK.

If you don't like the idea of leaderboards, just don't use them / care for them? It's a good way to track global stats.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Statistics everywhere. Please add achievements and steam cards aswell. If you won't like them - why bother using them?

i mean why should we not have this

Because it's unnatural pumping for doing some things ingame just to be on top of the list.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
How about we turn this around.

Why should the devs spend any time putting up leaderboards, protecting the data flow (which was breached multiple times in the past) and deciding what is worthwhile doing in the game, rather than leaving that to the players?

Reactions: Vakirauta

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The old overview has been nice to see very active players in certain areas of the game. If you are searching for e.g. an engineer you will get some names to ask. And some players are trying to be on top of those lists which increases activity.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
How about we turn this around.

Why should the devs spend any time putting up leaderboards, protecting the data flow (which was breached multiple times in the past) and deciding what is worthwhile doing in the game, rather than leaving that to the players?

I thought the data being breached happened through an exposed vulnerability in the player portal. (Account page).

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
Not having leaderboards on the website, bacause some people dont like the idea of that info being accessible outside of the game? Thats a pretty weird reason. Could even have them accessable through an NPC ingame if that sounds better to you.

Its fun to look at and gives some people goals and motivation to do stuff.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I thought the data being breached happened through an exposed vulnerability in the player portal. (Account page).

Different breach. The data from the leaderboards etc. was used for less nefarious things. SV did not protect it at all in the start, until they learned that players where using it heavily.

---

Right, so leaderboards are supposed to give you goals and motivation to reach said goals. That´s not a sandbox. That is the developers making a statement on what they think is important enough to put on a board. Make up your own goals.

It also creates false incentives such as killing your alt-characters to gain murdercounts.
How is that adding to the gaming experience?
How is crafting hundreds of spongewood shields to be the top dog crafter helpful for the database of the server?

There are many ways of finding an engineer. That´s such a weird argument. You need a top 10 list of engineers to be able to build a house?

I would rather have the developers invest time in sandbox mechanics rather than gimicky archivement bullshit. Titels should be given by players, not earned by gaming some exploitable mechanic.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
new players who will come to the game will never keep up with the leaders of the table, so there is no point in this except to amuse their pride =)

or make a table by type: leader of the week in pvp, leader of the week in crafting armor, leader of the week in gathering, etc. that is, so that the table is updated-zeroed as often as possible and the leaders do not hang in it for months.

and so that each leader of the table who eventually becomes at the end of the week gets some rare unique item, for example: food with buffs that cannot be created in the game world and which gives its own unique bonuses for certain stats. Only then will it make sense and motivation for people to appear in this table.